Jawfish

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my actual reef-tank up and running with corals, I was very interested in keeping a jawfish or a pair of them. I have the sand depth I need 3-4 inches across the tank. Anyone here have any personal experience with them? Would love to here about it.

ericd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mtunes, I've got 3 jaws(2 pearly and a bluespot) in my 75. I love these guys. Great personality and all are great eaters. There are a couple of things you need to take into account with your jaws
1) They like to view your tank from your perspective. Need a good cover in place( I tried eggcrate but that didn't work-luckily I was tank watching at the time). I'm using a glass cover now with good results.

2) they like to dig.... A LOT!!!. I've found them to be pretty good engineers but they need small rubble to re-enforce their burrow. Then,you need more when they decide to move again. This can get frustrating and they sometimes spit sand all over lower part of tank.

Not trying to scare you away from purchasing your pair just wanting you to be prepared. Hope to see some pics of your pair soon.

OP
OP
maroonytunes

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I want to be prepared, I researched them a lot but was interested in learning more now, did yours eat frozen or did you wean them onto frozen from live?

ericd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen mysis to start. Never had a problem with them eating. Now they'll eat anything you throw in the tank.
When you first get them they will build a burrow out of sight. Fret not, they will soon move to a better spot for you(I think they like watching us as much as we like watching them)

Here's a new pic showing all 3 right at front of tank
PLUS0020-1.jpg

017.jpg

Last edited:

Tankguy001

Reef Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some of my favorite fish. They are frag stealers though. If your frags are not glued to the rocks they will end up in their home. I can't tell you how many times I went looking for lost frags and found them under their rocks. I had to move mine into my 20 Long with no frags to steal

treylane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are more prone to jumping than others, such as wrasses or dartfish... but in the case of jawfish - they ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WILL JUMP OUT of a typical reef tank if it isn't properly covered. It's just a matter of time (and usually not all that MUCH time) before you'll find your fishy friends on the floor if you dont take the proper precautions.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back