Jaysushi's 60G Cube

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers! Back in December I decided to order myself a Cadlights Versa 60G Cube aquarium. I had this odd obsession of wanting a cube aquarium so I bit the bullet and got one! This has been a slow process because I had to order a different sump as I plan to run a Triton method sump with my first ever refugium. This build is also going to be bare bottom as that is something that I have wanted to try too. I am very excited to get this up and running. I will list the equipment for this build down below.

Equipment List:
Lighting - Radion XR30W Pro Gen 4
Flow - Vortech MP10QD x2
Sump - Crystal Reef Aquatics Triton TRS20 Reef Sump
Return Pump - Current USA eFlux DC Flow Pump 1050GPH
Rocks - Marco Rocks 65 lbs
Skimmer - Nyos Quantum 120
Fuge Light - Kessil H380 Halo II LED

This tank will probably have water in it within the next couple of days or so. I am in no rush of having it cycled even though the waiting is kind of killing me lol, but I do want to take my time. I will hopefully post more on this build as it progresses and do a better job at it than my Versa 42G build thread. Anyways, here are some pics to keep you a little busy!

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

Last edited:

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank wow really nice. One question the rock on the left of the picture is it really close to the glass could make cleaning hard to do. Just asking cause it’s hard to tell in the picture. And again really good looking

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the comments! I plan to do better with updating this build thread than my last one.

@Gonebad395 I know what you mean and thank you for the concern. The rock on the left is roughly 2-3 inches away from the glass so my flipper is able to squeeze through for cleaning. I learned my lesson from my previous tank and I was careful on not placing the rock too close to the front and sides of the tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice rock. The tank is going to look great! Curious about livestock plans?

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's aliiiiiiiiiive!!! Filled the tank up today and got'er wet! I added a 4 oz bottle of Fritz TurboStart 900 and now I play the waiting game ;Dead

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was an expensive but rewarding day.
I changed my skimmer option and decided to go with a Nyos 120 skimmer.
I also picked up an Apex EL and wow.... having a controller is amazing and I cannot wait to use it more!
Lastly, I replaced my IceCap Gyre 1K because the controller went out on me, so I picked up the IceCap Gyre 3k and this thing moves some water. However, I am only running it at 50% random flow mode.

IMG_3910.jpg

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Nyos skimmer broken in and ready to pull some gunk out.
Here is a pic of my sump with the LED strips on and it is super helpful whenever you need to work or modify something in the sump. I am stoked to have a fuge on this build and see how things go.
Excuse the tape around the grey drain pipe. Cadlights uses different plumbing sizes and so I decided to put tape around it to prevent splashing from the gap.

IMG_3918.jpg

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little quick update. The tank is doing well and I added a few corals to the tank. One really big single coral purchase I ever did... I bought a jawbreaker shroom because I wanted to add some fancier corals to this tank. I am in love with the colors!

IMG_4049.jpg

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an FTS. Haven't updated this thread in almost a month. Been trying to keep things steady and my previous Versa 42 tank I supplemented too many things and changed things way too quickly.
Learned that the hard way and I am loving this cube. First time owning a cube and it is an awesome layout for a tank!

How the tank looks as of today - March 3, 2019

IMG_4406.jpg

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my sump and also the one you see on my Radion light stand. For me, it is to help cool the tank down at the cost of a little bit of a higher evaporation rate.
I think it is worth it because without it my tank will reach above 80 degrees.

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so a little update on the reef. Everything is doing well in the tank even though only being 3 months old.

I decided to try my luck early on with a few tester SPS corals. This Walt Disney acro for example.
First picture was taken on March 14, and the second was taken today. Go baby go!
IMG_4482.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

Also, I decided to finally put in the center brace for my tank. I know... how dumb of me to not in the beginning:confused: This will make me feel at ease lol. Going to secure it down with some screws tomorrow.
IMG_4681.jpg

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my IceCap Gyre 1k and picked up a second MP10 earlier into the build.
I like the gyre, but I wanted to run the 2 MP10's on the same schedule via Apex.

Here is an unknown Acan I picked up a few months ago. Started out as 3 main heads and now it is starting to grow babies!

IMG_4721.jpg

OP
OP
Jaysushi

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are doing really well since I stopped chasing numbers and kept a solid light schedule. Lol I changed so much that I ended up messing up my Versa 42 pretty bad. Glad I got a new start on this 60 cube and things are looking better. My Walt Disney is growing quicker than I expected.

I also picked up a used AI Prime non HD for $60 last night and bought a new Nuvo 10g. I am going to set this up as a nano nem tank and I am super stoked about it lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back