JBJ 20 gallon AIO reef tank

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have never heard that ,alk at same time,ph yes... :)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was the same besides alk it went down 1 it was 9,3 on Monday and now it’s 8.3

But I heard your suppose to take them at the same time every day ? I took the first results at 7pm and theses one at 9pm
I try to take mine everyday I walk in door after work before I dose. That can vary from half an hour to 2 hours honestly. But yes consistently closest to same time everyday so you can base your daily dose off previous day is best way to know exactly what being used.
Watch that Alk tomorrow. If im reading it right you used 1dkh since yesterday.
You really don't want it swinging down lower than 7.6 and allowing it to sit there. You also don't really want to get in habit of needing to dose more than 1 dkh a day to keep it locked in.
See what alk looks like tomorrow. It sounds like your tank is hitting a new gear and balancing itself out. You dont want to neglect alk and throw the balance off.
Do you have anything to dose alk if you need to?

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to take mine everyday I walk in door after work before I dose. That can vary from half an hour to 2 hours honestly. But yes consistently closest to same time everyday so you can base your daily dose off previous day is best way to know exactly what being used.
Watch that Alk tomorrow. If im reading it right you used 1dkh since yesterday.
You really don't want it swinging down lower than 7.6 and allowing it to sit there. You also don't really want to get in habit of needing to dose more than 1 dkh a day to keep it locked in.
See what alk looks like tomorrow. It sounds like your tank is hitting a new gear and balancing itself out. You dont want to neglect alk and throw the balance off.
Do you have anything to dose alk if you need to?
The last test I took was 4 days ago I couldn’t test last to days work was in the way I’ll definitely test tomorrow and after that my water change is coming on Sunday but if I have to dose what would be a good way of doing it ? I use instant ocean salt so it mixes at NSW

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last test I took was 4 days ago I couldn’t test last to days work was in the way I’ll definitely test tomorrow and after that my water change is coming on Sunday but if I have to dose what would be a good way of doing it ? I use instant ocean salt so it mixes at NSW
Ok I see what your talking about now.
Instant ocean mixed up closer to 10 or 11dkh for me at 1.025 salinity. My purple bucket mixes closer to 9dkh.
Natural sea water is closer to 8dkh depending on what source your getting that from.
My bad for thinking you where using 1dkh a day.
You may be ok with water changes to bring it back up but I wouldn't allow it to swing and stay lower than 7.6 personally. I like 8dkh. 9 is fine. I actually like 9dkh better but some of my corals like it around 8-8.5

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see what your talking about now.
Instant ocean mixed up closer to 10 or 11dkh for me at 1.025 salinity. My purple bucket mixes closer to 9dkh.
Natural sea water is closer to 8dkh depending on what source your getting that from.
My bad for thinking you where using 1dkh a day.
You may be ok with water changes to bring it back up but I wouldn't allow it to swing and stay lower than 7.6 personally. I like 8dkh. 9 is fine. I actually like 9dkh better but some of my corals like it around 8-8.5
They seem to like 9 as well ! But I would think when they grow in the future I might have to dose to keep up with it

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys no pics today some of my zoas are closed not sure why I didn’t see anything near them besides the aiptasia growing around them but I have test results
Phosphates&nitrates has been stable
Alk:8.6
Calcium dropped 10 from 450-440 since Monday

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps. The favia that was looking bad has retained some of its red color I’m just not gonna bother it and see what happens. I wanna skip a water change tomorrow cause my numbers aren’t bad but who knows !

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@elorablue how many times did you move your Nero 3 before your corals liked it haha I feel like I need to move it all the time it’s on 30% pulse 1sec on and 1sec off. I think it’s okay but I moved it just a bit by accident and my corals hated me

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@elorablue how many times did you move your Nero 3 before your corals liked it haha I feel like I need to move it all the time it’s on 30% pulse 1sec on and 1sec off. I think it’s okay but I moved it just a bit by accident and my corals hated me
I’ll get back to you on that a bit later :)

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dude, good morning.
Short answer is..a lot at the beginning.
I went back through this thread to see what you have going on in your tank. Aside from the size our tanks are quite different so our flow needs will be different.
Before I caught the Acro bug I just had the one Nero 3 but now I have 2. To be honest I'm not sure I even need the second one but I got it in preparation of the new tank so I'm using it.
So my totally unscientific and unsubstantiated thoughts on flow are pretty basic.
I think it should be random and as strong as possible without messing with your animals. In other words, dial it up until it's obviously too strong then take it back about 10% :). Clear as mud eh? LOL
For what you have in your tank the one Nero and the return is plenty. Don't forget to utilise the return flow as it can be very useful. I have my return set so that it really moves the surface water.
In your particular case I would put the Nero on the side glass aimed just in front of the rock structure and about 1/3 of the way down from the top. This should get almost full tank movement.
I would also take it off pulse mode and use High Variance random mode with a max of 40% and a minimum of 20 %.
I like to use all the different modes over the 24 hour period so here's what I have on my main Nero. The other Nero is just a supplement so I wont bother with it.

5pm - 6 :30 am I run constant speed of 35%
6:30am - 8 am I use Pulse mode with a max of 50% with 5 secs on 5 secs off.
From 8 am - 5 pm I use random mode with a max of 55% and a low of 35%

With the types of coral you have I doubt you'd need to go over 40%
I cant tell you what to run exactly but these are my thoughts, and remember I'm a new reefer too LOL
hope this helps anyway

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dude, good morning.
I went back through this thread to see what you have going on in your tank. Aside from the size our tanks are quite different so our flow needs will be different.
Before I caught the Acro bug I just had the one Nero 3 but now I have 2. To be honest I'm not sure I even need the second one but I got it in preparation of the new tank so I'm using it.
So my totally unscientific and unsubstantiated thoughts on flow are pretty basic.
I think it should be random and as strong as possible without messing with your animals. In other words, dial it up until it's obviously too strong then take it back about 10% :). Clear as mud eh? LOL
For what you have in your tank the one Nero and the return is plenty. Don't forget to utilise the return flow as it can be very useful. I have my return set so that it really moves the surface water.
In your particular case I would put the Nero on the side glass aimed just in front of the rock structure and about 1/3 of the way down from the top. This should get almost full tank movement.
I would also take it off pulse mode and use High Variance random mode with a max of 40% and a minimum of 20 %.
I like to use all the different modes over the 24 hour period so here's what I have on my main Nero. The other Nero is just a supplement so I wont bother with it.

I cant tell you what to run exactly but these are my thoughts, and remember I'm a new reefer too LOL
hope this helps anyway
That was more then enough ! I keep looking for threads and since it’s still a newish pump and not appt of people have them I thought I’d ask thank you for the input ! I’ll definitely try this out

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dude, good morning.

hope this helps anyway
I forgot to ask since I’m a smuck in flow should it be on the same side of the return or pointing towards the return

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your return is in back right corner?
If so aim that from there to front left corner and put the Nero on the left side glass aimed straight across.
And don’t stress , while it’s good to find a spot and leave it you can always change it. In fact you probably will when the tank fills up with coral :)

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your return is in back right corner?
If so aim that from there to front left corner and put the Nero on the left side glass aimed straight across.
And don’t stress , while it’s good to find a spot and leave it you can always change it. In fact you probably will when the tank fills up with coral :)
Awesome that’s they way I have it now I noticed now underneath the pump is like a low flow now

OP
OP
shadow_k

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C92D059C-F6FA-429B-B419-3AE9607CB7F9.jpeg

These guys opened up quick

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks ok?? flow same near top also,? poss too constant...?...;) ??? try to conflict jets to cause random..??:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back