JBJ 30g Rimless return nozzle & pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brad2157
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brad2157

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Location
Spring Hill, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a used JBJ 30g rimless tank. This is an older tank and has two return pumps in the rear middle (return) compartment and two nozzles that come through the back wall. The previous owner installed the “Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector” on both returns. They don’t really fit the return tubes diameter, so they are really loose. One actually blew off last night. They are either clogged up or the pump is clogged/weak.

I’d like to redo the whole return area by the following:
1. Remove one of the return pumps
2. Upgrade the other pump to a better/larger size
3. Add new plumbing (pipe/hose) between the pump and the return nozzle
4. Add a nano skimmer to the area where the 2nd return pump was at.

My questions are:
1. What pump do you recommend to use as the only return pump?
2. What type of plumbing do I need? The plastic 90 degree elbow is very loose (too small of a diameter for the hole) through the back wall of the tank, so I want to figure out what type(s) of fittings I need to replace it. I also need a plug to plug up the 2nd return hole in the back wall of the tank. Also, do I use a plastic pipe between the return pump and the 90 degree elbow or can I use a plastic hose instead?
3. What type of nano skimmer will be good and fit in the return chamber?

I know that I have lots of questions, but I would greatly appreciate any help. I’m more concerned about how to replace the existing plumbing from the pump to the return nozzle. I don’t know if I need a certain bulkhead type fitting that will allow a hose to be connected from the pump, but will allow some type of nozzle to snap in on the inside of the front of the tank. I hope that makes sense.

Thank You so much in advance!
 
Hi
I just purchased a used JBJ 30g rimless tank. This is an older tank and has two return pumps in the rear middle (return) compartment and two nozzles that come through the back wall. The previous owner installed the “Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector” on both returns. They don’t really fit the return tubes diameter, so they are really loose. One actually blew off last night. They are either clogged up or the pump is clogged/weak.

I’d like to redo the whole return area by the following:
1. Remove one of the return pumps
2. Upgrade the other pump to a better/larger size
3. Add new plumbing (pipe/hose) between the pump and the return nozzle
4. Add a nano skimmer to the area where the 2nd return pump was at.

My questions are:
1. What pump do you recommend to use as the only return pump?
2. What type of plumbing do I need? The plastic 90 degree elbow is very loose (too small of a diameter for the hole) through the back wall of the tank, so I want to figure out what type(s) of fittings I need to replace it. I also need a plug to plug up the 2nd return hole in the back wall of the tank. Also, do I use a plastic pipe between the return pump and the 90 degree elbow or can I use a plastic hose instead?
3. What type of nano skimmer will be good and fit in the return chamber?

I know that I have lots of questions, but I would greatly appreciate any help. I’m more concerned about how to replace the existing plumbing from the pump to the return nozzle. I don’t know if I need a certain bulkhead type fitting that will allow a hose to be connected from the pump, but will allow some type of nozzle to snap in on the inside of the front of the tank. I hope that makes sense.

Thank You so much in advance!
Hi Brad, I think I have all your answers. The Hydor rotating deflectors come with a set of adapters to fit the return pipe, most likely the previous owner used the wrong one. On the return pump I would suggest the Hydor Seltz D DC return pumps. they are adjustable, run cool and easy to plumb and comes with hose barbs. Stick with plastic pipe and nylon fittings. There is no need to eliminate a return, tee the pump off and use two - better flow. Just make sure you come out of the pump as large of diameter as you can and downsize gradually, this eliminates back pressure. On a skimmer check out the dimensions of the Hydor Nano Skim, should work for you.

https://www.hydor.com/en/seltz-d-dc/ https://www.hydor.com/en/slim-skim/
 
Hi

Hi Brad, I think I have all your answers. The Hydor rotating deflectors come with a set of adapters to fit the return pipe, most likely the previous owner used the wrong one. On the return pump I would suggest the Hydor Seltz D DC return pumps. they are adjustable, run cool and easy to plumb and comes with hose barbs. Stick with plastic pipe and nylon fittings. There is no need to eliminate a return, tee the pump off and use two - better flow. Just make sure you come out of the pump as large of diameter as you can and downsize gradually, this eliminates back pressure. On a skimmer check out the dimensions of the Hydor Nano Skim, should work for you.

https://www.hydor.com/en/seltz-d-dc/ https://www.hydor.com/en/slim-skim/
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new