OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it's been a very busy June and I haven't had much time to focus on posting here. There also haven't been too many updates. However, I will say that having the ICP test sitting on the shelf was a little silly, so I finally filled up those tubes and took it to the post office. During this time it was fascinating because all of the sudden, something seems to have clicked into place and the water has become super clear (I thought my water was decently clear to begin with). Those should be coming soon. Also, some other updates coming as well, although nothing really has changed on this side.

Here are some shots of the tank:
IMG_20190630_080822.jpg
MVIMG_20190630_080817.jpg

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it's been a very busy June and I haven't had much time to focus on posting here. There also haven't been too many updates. However, I will say that having the ICP test sitting on the shelf was a little silly, so I finally filled up those tubes and took it to the post office. During this time it was fascinating because all of the sudden, something seems to have clicked into place and the water has become super clear (I thought my water was decently clear to begin with). Those should be coming soon. Also, some other updates coming as well, although nothing really has changed on this side.

IMG_20190630_080822.jpg

No news can be good news! That Xenia is looking quite happy - is it a pulsing type?

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20190630_080822.jpg

Glad to hear the water cleared up, and looking forward to seeing your ICP test results (I've only done one myself and it turned up a high level of tin; turns out the JBJ inline UV light seal failed, so I'm really glad for the test results!)

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Finally I am seated on R2R on a computer so I can provide this update!

Triton results came back and were surprising in a good way.
Aluminium is a little higher than it should be:
1564073142967.png

Iodine was non-existent in the sample:
1564073207180.png

And then Barium was off the charts:
1564073255349.png

Everything else was within the green "warning lamp" of the test results so I can include those if you want, but to make the post shorter I wanted to just include the deviations. I'm not surprised by the Iodine, TBH, since I was depending on the salt mix to provide the trace metals and was a little scared to be dosing anything I don't measure.

With this said, I am going to be considering upping my dosing game as the corals are really exploding with life (again, but see next post). After looking into the Red Sea system and comparing options to start including more macro elements (Ca and Mg), I decided I needed an easier system. I actually started buying the AquaForest calcium because the LFS was out of the Red Sea Calcium powder, and that mixed up really nicely. I know it's more dilute, but that really helped balance out the Ca and Mg (plug keep the salinity high enough throughout the week), so I am thinking that I may fully switch over the Alk once I'm done as well.

I'm not sure how I feel about that Barium. The solubility rules I have to teach students tell me that Barium would not be soluble with carbonate and sulfate, so I don't know how I have so much in the system.

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been busy, and I am switching jobs. But to celebrate my last little free time, we went on vacation.

And we came back from vacation after hiring a sitter (trying to build tension).

Some of my corals just exploded with growth and color within ten days. I am sorry for the blues, but my Aquariclip was in my desk and all of the items in my desk had to go into boxes at the last minute (due to the job change and the resulting furniture swap between employers).

MVIMG_20190725_090326.jpg

And these Acans are exploding with a new addition to the tank that just came out of quarantine when we came back home!

IMG_20190725_090336.jpg

Everything is just bigger in the tank and I'll include a few more photos over the weeks to come. But I just was given permission from the s/o to get a few more corals over the next month or so! After some recent reflections, I am going to stick with soft corals and LPSes, since I think these are thriving better in my system right now.

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No news can be good news! That Xenia is looking quite happy - is it a pulsing type?

This is actually not a pulsing Xenia, which is tough to know unless you turn off all flow. When I'm cleaning the tank and turning off the pumps, it looks like it's having a REALLY bad hair day!

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Finally I am seated on R2R on a computer so I can provide this update!

Triton results came back and were surprising in a good way.
Aluminium is a little higher than it should be:
1564073142967.png

Iodine was non-existent in the sample:
1564073207180.png

And then Barium was off the charts:
1564073255349.png

Everything else was within the green "warning lamp" of the test results so I can include those if you want, but to make the post shorter I wanted to just include the deviations. I'm not surprised by the Iodine, TBH, since I was depending on the salt mix to provide the trace metals and was a little scared to be dosing anything I don't measure.

With this said, I am going to be considering upping my dosing game as the corals are really exploding with life (again, but see next post). After looking into the Red Sea system and comparing options to start including more macro elements (Ca and Mg), I decided I needed an easier system. I actually started buying the AquaForest calcium because the LFS was out of the Red Sea Calcium powder, and that mixed up really nicely. I know it's more dilute, but that really helped balance out the Ca and Mg (plug keep the salinity high enough throughout the week), so I am thinking that I may fully switch over the Alk once I'm done as well.

I'm not sure how I feel about that Barium. The solubility rules I have to teach students tell me that Barium would not be soluble with carbonate and sulfate, so I don't know how I have so much in the system.

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that we came to the same conclusion of "don't worry about it, not much you can do." I may do a few more tests as the aquarium continues maturing.

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, this has been a really busy and tough month, but luckily not for the aquarium! After starting a new job and a new career path, I am finally able to get my head above water.

Honestly, the water in the tank has been crystal clear within the past few weeks, and more so than it ever was in the past. Additionally the parameter levels have finally been pretty consistent ( ~ 9 dKH, 460 ppm Ca, 1300 ppm Mg, 0.04 ppm PO4, 5ish ppm NO3, 8.2 pH, 1.026 s/g) throughout the past few months. There has been a decent amount of coral growth (FINALLY), and the other half even purchased a mushroom branch (see photo) and a lobed brain coral. Mushrooms have recovered from the tank shock while the lobed brain is still adjusting.

The deep blue lights are on now, but I'll try to get more pictures and put them up regularly so that I can continue being a regularly contributing member of the forum :-o.

Other changes: -- DI resin was replaced, Goby has decided to move house twice in the tank, survived the summer heat of LA, getting to enjoy my tank more since my office days are from home in the same room as the tank, first real vacation since graduate school, second real vacation since graduate school, and wondering what everyone else is up to!

IMG_20190831_091645.jpg

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, this has been a really busy and tough month, but luckily not for the aquarium! After starting a new job and a new career path, I am finally able to get my head above water.

Honestly, the water in the tank has been crystal clear within the past few weeks, and more so than it ever was in the past. Additionally the parameter levels have finally been pretty consistent ( ~ 9 dKH, 460 ppm Ca, 1300 ppm Mg, 0.04 ppm PO4, 5ish ppm NO3, 8.2 pH, 1.026 s/g) throughout the past few months. There has been a decent amount of coral growth (FINALLY), and the other half even purchased a mushroom branch (see photo) and a lobed brain coral. Mushrooms have recovered from the tank shock while the lobed brain is still adjusting.

The deep blue lights are on now, but I'll try to get more pictures and put them up regularly so that I can continue being a regularly contributing member of the forum :-o.

Other changes: -- DI resin was replaced, Goby has decided to move house twice in the tank, survived the summer heat of LA, getting to enjoy my tank more since my office days are from home in the same room as the tank, first real vacation since graduate school, second real vacation since graduate school, and wondering what everyone else is up to!

IMG_20190831_091645.jpg
Congratulations on the new job and career path! Tank parameters sound great, but of course, the true reward is in the positive visuals. Both you and the tank inhabitants will benefit now that you are spending more time together :)

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew, the holidays have a few quick updates. Had to have everyone gone for Thanksgiving, and we're facing the same challenge coming up for around Christmas. We usually have someone come by and feed the tank from frozen food, but our trusted sitter also has had to skip out for both holidays. Any dry food recommendations for an auto feeder?

I currently am using something I picked up from Chewy, but it causes the phosphates to skyrocket. I usually keep them at 0.02 ppm, but they were up to 0.12 ppm when I came back from Thanksgiving (they are creeping down with water changes although the Christmas trip is coming up).

Here are a few photos that were taken. Sorry for some of the cloudy/blurry. I'll try to include some more without the blues soon.
IMG_20191214_152839.jpg
MVIMG_20191214_152845.jpg
IMG_20191214_192031.jpg

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered their new Probiotix food. They claim there is phosphate eating bacteria that helps the fish better digest the food and reduces waste. Not sure how much stock I put in it, but I'm trying it for the variety.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back