OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding PE mysis PE Calanus, just a sliver twice a day (nothing more than they can eat in 45 seconds, usually) and then Marine Snow (10 mLs) 1/week.

NO3 was down to 7 ppm once I was finished with the 40% water change, meaning that the pre-W/C was 17.5. It seems to have stablized at 7-8 again, so I'll continue with my weekly 10%.

Right now I have some space in the rear sump of the tank in one of the filtration sides. I just don't know how well that would work for growing any sort of Chaeto (or if putting some sort of in-water LED or out of water LED pointing down) would just encourage more undesired algae in the future. This would likely be in the right compartment (or the two right compartments) of the tank post filtration sock. S/O has said NO to any additional plumbing to the tank, so I have to work with what I have.

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding PE mysis PE Calanus, just a sliver twice a day (nothing more than they can eat in 45 seconds, usually) and then Marine Snow (10 mLs) 1/week.

NO3 was down to 7 ppm once I was finished with the 40% water change, meaning that the pre-W/C was 17.5. It seems to have stablized at 7-8 again, so I'll continue with my weekly 10%.

Right now I have some space in the rear sump of the tank in one of the filtration sides. I just don't know how well that would work for growing any sort of Chaeto (or if putting some sort of in-water LED or out of water LED pointing down) would just encourage more undesired algae in the future. This would likely be in the right compartment (or the two right compartments) of the tank post filtration sock. S/O has said NO to any additional plumbing to the tank, so I have to work with what I have.
Hey, check one of these out, it should fit in ur aio tank. It works good after it breaks in, clean it out weekly or biweekly depending on algae growth. All it needs is a air pump that you have to buy separately.

I am going to install 1 on my cvue40 when I have the tank up and running.

Santa Monica Filtration Drop.6 (tm) Drop-in Upflow Algae Scrubber ATS Aquarium Filter Turf Saltwater Replaces Chaeto Reactor Protein Skimmer Sponge Canister Pellets Zeo Waterchange Probiotics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015965MPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ImxnCbS1KS5ZJ

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Theres a light I think called chaetomax by IM for AIO tanks. I plan to install on my jbj45 this weekend, others have reported success with it.

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, all for great suggestions. It's nice to see the options and have something to review over the weekend. I'll post plans. Looks like Algaebarn is out of their clean chaeto right now, so time is fine.

No other major updates right now, but I did take some photos with my new filter. Thanks for the recommendation, Bob! Now you can enjoy the candy cane that looks like it's splitting heads with me. [emoji2]
IMG_20190110_172522.jpeg
MVIMG_20190110_172544.jpeg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the Santa Monica Filtration systems. Sorry about that one KC. I have looked t them but once I But the overflow and sump inside the stand I forgot about them. I grow Cheato like crazy with a Kessil H80.
I throw the stuff away. ( I bought some caulupa about a year ago and have some rennants still) so I don’t try to sell it for that reason.

I been investing heavily in copepods since I have a ruby red dragonnet and went to mesh filter socks too

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190114_075435.jpg

So the timing of the discussion of nitrate removal could not have come at a better time. This week's uglies were green hair algae that my hermit crabs and various snails were able to keep at bay in the sand, somewhat on the rock, and somehow off the glass? Of course now that I measure nitrates, we're getting in the lovely 2-5 ppm range, since the algae is taking care of the nitrates. After going through all of the options that you provided, we decided to go with a chaeto reactor in one of the back chambers in the AIO. (I'm now realizing that the light and the powerhead have been relocated as I look at the picture--lol). I will try to post some coral before/now pictures as well since I have been collecting those. We see some minor changes.

This was the option we decided since we like the look of chaeto, have the chamber space for it, and do want to eventually try to grow some copepods in the back as well in the chaeto. I have started a phytoplankton culture from the poseidon reef system tanks that my sister gifted for Christmas. I didn't have luck with my first culture of isochyrus because it smelt rancid when I opened it (like a sulfur/reducing smell) that only got worse before the culture crashed). However, I had success on try two with the nannochloropsis culture. It's a fairly easy kit, especially since there isn't a lot of extra room to store/grow things so the wrapped LEDs around the culture have been a great use of space. I think I'll just continue dosing those.

So at this point, we'll wait for the chaeto from algae barn to arrive (it just got into stock today), along with the fuge light and then it will be compartment rearrangement as I change around the location of the heater, skimmer, etc. to accommodate the chaeto. Right now the skimmer is in the middle compartment because I tried installing it in the right side after the sock and it wouldn't fit. I'll try the left side, but I'll do all of that during the w/c, chaeto install, and carbon change. Now that I see all that typed out, it's probably better to change one thing at a time with a few days between...

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the Santa Monica Filtration systems. Sorry about that one KC. I have looked t them but once I But the overflow and sump inside the stand I forgot about them. I grow Cheato like crazy with a Kessil H80.
I throw the stuff away. ( I bought some caulupa about a year ago and have some rennants still) so I don’t try to sell it for that reason.

I been investing heavily in copepods since I have a ruby red dragonnet and went to mesh filter socks too

I am impressed with the dragonnet, but I have seen this one in your videos as well! I think copepods are a healthy part of the system, so I aspire to grow some as well. It's a mental struggle because I still have the felt filter socks, but I'll have to bite the bullet and start that change soon!

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green mandarin and he just scoots around all day eating pods. I culture my own phyto and try to culture pods but lose them so still gotta figure that out. Getting a large population of pods and amphipods is a great idea as they are a natural cuc and add biodiversity to your tank.

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green mandarin and he just scoots around all day eating pods. I culture my own phyto and try to culture pods but lose them so still gotta figure that out. Getting a large population of pods and amphipods is a great idea as they are a natural cuc and add biodiversity to your tank.

Again, so impressed with the green mandarin and keeping him healthy. The biodiversity is why I am interested in pods, at least at this point. Who knows once I get a few years under my belt! Is your mandarin pictured in your avatar?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, so impressed with the green mandarin and keeping him healthy. The biodiversity is why I am interested in pods, at least at this point. Who knows once I get a few years under my belt! Is your mandarin pictured in your avatar?
Algaebarn sells Mandarins that will eat regular food but they sell out so fast.
They also will put you on a subscription list for copepods that will automatically resend you however amount of them you want however whenever when you want. There are others copepod sellers out there that do the same as well.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
26B9C038-8EF8-4535-9D13-C30FE4044D79.jpeg
I am impressed with the dragonnet, but I have seen this one in your videos as well! I think copepods are a healthy part of the system, so I aspire to grow some as well. It's a mental struggle because I still have the felt filter socks, but I'll have to bite the bullet and start that change soon!
As we been discussing my videos I thought I would show you a update of my stand or rather the inside of it.
To the right of the sump is ( on the top right is two APEX DOS) and on the bottom are the dosing containers
My lights for the refugiums which is a Kessil A80 is out of the way on the right as well.

As you can see I’m growing cheato quite well . Carbon reactor on the left. Marine pur balls and live rock is also in the refugium and four snails to clean the walls.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, that is my mandarin, my favorite fish in the entire fish tank. I've learned that when people say keeping a mandarin is hard you should stay away. I go for it and read all about the fish before I get it and prepare for the fishes needs. I have enough phyto to turn my tank water green for a week and I'm constantly trying to culture pods even if its time consuming and hard on the wallet. Try and pushing even when its hard is all that counts.

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nannochloropsis Where did get those kits
My sister got them from Poseidon Reef Systems. The Nanno is doing fine and stable, for sure. Definitely made it easier to grow with little space--I know they're expensive compared to DIY, but for getting started the quickest and condo sized.

Algaebarn has Mandarins coming in tonight I’m going to buy one
Please add pics to your build thread once you get your Mandarin in there!

yes, that is my mandarin, my favorite fish in the entire fish tank. I've learned that when people say keeping a mandarin is hard you should stay away. I go for it and read all about the fish before I get it and prepare for the fishes needs. I have enough phyto to turn my tank water green for a week and I'm constantly trying to culture pods even if its time consuming and hard on the wallet. Try and pushing even when its hard is all that counts.

Once I keep a few things alive, maybe I'll up the difficulty now. Definitely the adventurous outlook necessary to succeed in this hobby!

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest addition to the tank in the famous Watchman goby. He's a small one, so he's hard to find even in my setup. So far he seems to be adjusting pretty well. First day and night he was exploring the tank a bit, probably just determining what's up and down. But now he's settled and sticks mostly to the and except when he thinks it's time to eat [emoji2] .

As you can see, he likes helping me read the quick thermometer. Question is, do you think he's helping improve the accuracy? [emoji23]
MVIMG_20190118_070147.jpeg
MVIMG_20190118_070108.jpeg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister got them from Poseidon Reef Systems. The Nanno is doing fine and stable, for sure. Definitely made it easier to grow with little space--I know they're expensive compared to DIY, but for getting started the quickest and condo sized.

Please add pics to your build thread once you get your Mandarin in there!

Once I keep a few things alive, maybe I'll up the difficulty now. Definitely the adventurous outlook necessary to succeed in this hobby!
Thanks I’ll look into thm

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest addition to the tank in the famous Watchman goby. He's a small one, so he's hard to find even in my setup. So far he seems to be adjusting pretty well. First day and night he was exploring the tank a bit, probably just determining what's up and down. But now he's settled and sticks mostly to the and except when he thinks it's time to eat [emoji2] .

As you can see, he likes helping me read the quick thermometer. Question is, do you think he's helping improve the accuracy? [emoji23]
MVIMG_20190118_070147.jpeg
MVIMG_20190118_070108.jpeg
I’ve had one of them since I started the Tank. He is the oldest fish in the tank He has not grown very much and almost always stays in one spot depending if the five inch diamond watchman goby bothers him then he will move. He is also very shy most of the time until it comes time for feeding

OP
OP
KC V.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one of them since I started the Tank. He is the oldest fish in the tank He has not grown very much and almost always stays in one spot depending if the five inch diamond watchman goby bothers him then he will move. He is also very shy most of the time until it comes time for feeding
They're really funny fish, and I think they have a big personality (especially for their size). I've already caught him once in the filter socks. He then stayed on the sand in the open for two days before disappearing again. He's not in the sump (I've taken almost everything out to check), so hopefully he's finally found his place to burrow.

Does yours disappear sometimes, or did he when he was first was getting used to the tank?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back