JBJ 45 Lighting Intensity and Schedule

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

So I just finished setting up my first saltwater aquarium, a JBJ 45 gallon. I used dry rock and live sand and am beginning the cycling process now. Question is, what intensity and on what schedule should I set up my lighting system. The light is an Ocean Revive Arctic T247. I was thinking about running the lighting at 35% intensity for both white and blue from 10-8 then blue from 8-10 then off. Any thoughts?

JBJ45galDay1.JPG

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same answer as in your other post.

I think that's OK for a starting point. Your tank is 22" deep, and I think you'll find corals will do better when the levels are more like 60 to 80% blue and 30 to 50% white. Probably start at the lower end, 60% blue and 30% white, then slowly bump it up depending on what corals you are keeping. Zoas and soft coral will be fine there. SPS probably would like the higher end.

BTW, I worked for Ocean Revive for a couple of years. They are reasonably well made fixtures. I think the designer/owner of the company sold a major portion of the company to EverGrow who was the manufacturer of the fixture. IMHO EverGrow is one of the best Chinese manufacturers in terms of making good quality products and still having reasonable prices.

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just didn't know if I had put it in the right discussion.

I will shift the lights a bit higher then, but does running them for about 12 hours total sound right? I know a lot of it is figuring out what works for the tank and adjusting I just don't want it to be too long to start with.

I will keep that in mind, it was really hard to source this light. I went through marine depot and that was a nightmare so I ended up buying it through ebay.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just didn't know if I had put it in the right discussion.

I will shift the lights a bit higher then, but does running them for about 12 hours total sound right? I know a lot of it is figuring out what works for the tank and adjusting I just don't want it to be too long to start with.

I will keep that in mind, it was really hard to source this light. I went through marine depot and that was a nightmare so I ended up buying it through ebay.

The primary things you want from your light is photosynthesis by the zooxanthellae inside the coral polyps which helps feed the coral, and the visibility and look you want. The zooxanthellae can only do photosynthesis for about 8 hours in the best of cases, usually it's a bit less, like 6 or 7 hours. The extra time with bright light does no damage or harm, but it also does very little good.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back