JBJ Nano Cube 28g HQI - Filter Sock??

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

We are wanting to get rid of the filter basket and go with a filter sock, but I can't find one that will work with our tank, or at least doesn't look like they would work. Anyone have any suggestions, or know how to retrofit one to work?

If you have retrofitted one, can you share some pics?

Thanks!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the filter socks are 4". Would that fit in the back chamber?

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the filter socks are 4". Would that fit in the back chamber?

@glb I believe so, but all of the filter socks that I've looked at have a (for lack of better words) a round top with no way to hang it, and the chamber is rectangular. I have seen (if I remember correctly) one for a Nuvo (?), that has way to hang it, but I've been told that it will not work in our tank. I wanted to see if there are similar ones that would work in ours that can hang in the chamber the same way.

im-sock-500.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a round sock holder fit on top of the chamber? This is what mine looks like.
image.jpg

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a round sock holder fit on top of the chamber? This is what mine looks like.
image.jpg

Looks like a great idea....if only that set-up would fit :( My husband said he may just drill a couple of holes at the top of the chamber, and use some zip ties to hold in place - I just wanted a cleaner look, and it not be a hassle to remove (cut the zip ties when we remove it to change out the carbon, and use new ties to hold it in place again). Maybe I'm just too picky :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my socks and used an embroidery hoop for the top, the make embroidery hoop that are square or cut the old plastic support out and us the old support

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea @jsker - I will need to look into those hoops!
Joann fabrics or Amazon. I posted a video up on my tank build of how I made them. The video is not a step by step but I think you can get and idea. I made 40 for $11.25 and toss the socks when they have to be changed

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joann fabrics or Amazon. I posted a video up on my tank build of how I made them. The video is not a step by step but I think you can get and idea. I made 40 for $11.25 and toss the socks when they have to be changed

Very nice @jsker ! That's definitely a money saver, and worth trying out! By the way...AWESOME TANK!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lifted the lid off my cube and wall-mounted it a few inches above the tank. This made room for a skimmer/reactor/ato etc.

image.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW - GREAT idea @glb ! Never thought about doing that with the hood.
It also helped with the temp, which got too high with the hood closed. I used closetmaid closet brackets and drywall screws to hold it in place. There's also a piece of black plastic that usually hangs behind the light and in front of the equipment to hide it.

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also helped with the temp, which got too high with the hood closed. I used closetmaid closet brackets and drywall screws to hold it in place. There's also a piece of black plastic that usually hangs behind the light and in front of the equipment to hide it.

@glb I feel ya! Do you have the HQI? Ours??? the temp would hit 81-83 degrees EASY! We would prop it open, and put a fan on the kitchen table to blow on it. We bought an LED light, and it's heaven now!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glb I feel ya! Do you have the HQI? Ours??? the temp would hit 81-83 degrees EASY! We would prop it open, and put a fan on the kitchen table to blow on it. We bought an LED light, and it's heaven now!
I have a jbj 12g nanocube.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back