JBJ RF-45 REAR SUMP IDEAS

RiversideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'm currently in the process of setting up my first reef tank (currently only a fish only tank), and I have a JBJ RF-45.

There are alot of choices as far as what can go in the integrated sump... and I wanted your opinion on what I plan on doing and if there's anything you'd do different or recommend.

Currently all I have are sock filters in 1 & 5, siporax media rings bottom of 1,2,4 and 5, those spongy things (what purpose do these serve anyways?) at the top of 2 and 4, and heater and return pumps in 3.

My plan is to purchase 2 media baskets to place in #1 and #5, filled top to bottom in this order - filter floss > seachem matrix > chemipure blue. I've also thought about turning #2 or #4 into an area for chaeto to grow so I can maintain a population of copepods, but would I need a separate light to do this?

Also, if I wanted to add a protein skimmer, would it be best placed in either #1 or #5? I understand protein skimmers are surface skimmers, so placing them in #2 or #4 would not be efficient correct?

Also for #3, are there anything else I could put in there to benefit the tank?

InkedIMG_7323_LI.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Magellan - has a thriving JBJ and may be able to help you with suggestions.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We kept the socks in 1 and 5, put a tunze 9004DC in 2 with the sponge at bottom of 2 and 4. Bright well bio cubes bagged in 4 on top of black sponge (maybe try a brick soon) and return pumps and heaters in 3.

The spongy things are just course filters and I’m guessing are a last defense for anything to get to return pump chambers. We still have and never used the carbon supplied

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Magellan - has a thriving JBJ and may be able to help you with suggestions.
I have the 28g, but close enough ;)

the ‘sponge things‘ are really great IMO. Catch a lot of detritus, and it’s easy to pop them out and rinse them off. I don’t use a skimmer, instead it’s Purigen, Phosguard, and biomedia for me. However, I feed a lot, otherwise I wouldn’t need the phosguard. JBJ makes a fantastic tank, you are going to love it :)

If it were me, I would have the sponges first in line. The more detritus you can catch before it gets to the rest of your filtration, the better.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The first chamber has a 4” filter sock on each side, we bought several 4x14 socks to rotate because we also feed a lot, underneath of them is where the black course filters sit.
The skimmer does collect a lot of nasty water and usually gets emptied every 2-3 days.
The JBJ is an awesome tank and for the price very hard to beat, kinda wishing we got the 65g though

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back