JBJ RL 30 killed my fish

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok, that might be a little drastic. But is it? Several weeks ago I remember putting my two cent in about fish jumping. My point was that sometimes fish don't always jump because of water quality but because of equipment and pumps. Often times return pumps and powerheads can cause so much noise, that it will literally drive fish crazy.

I started reefing January 2015 and had never had a fish jump on me. My old tank was a 20 gallon standard tall tank with a skimmer. Pretty basic with a couple powerheads and a heater. The noise and vibrations were minimal. The skimmer was a hang on back and the powerheads were changed out for quieter powerheads. Eventually the tank was tolerable not just for my ears but my fish expressed better behavior. Then the time came for an upgrade. I needed a newer, more attractive tank.

It's been more than a year I've owned the 20 gallon standard. Never had an issue. Well, except for tank pests like bryopsis, aiptasia, dinos etc etc. None the less, no fish died or jumped. So I started shopping. Looked at the IM and the red sea series. JBJ was right on budget and I didn't want the sharp 90 degree edge finish like IM Nuvos displayed. JBJ RL 30 it was. Nice look, came with a stand, yada yada. So whats my point? Or you probably already know where i'm going with this. And it's not JBJ in particular that i'm writing this about. More or less, the AIO concept is flawed. Or maybe it's JBJ AIO that is flawed. Of all the research I've done, I didn't consider the noise a return pump would make. IN ADDITION to the skimmer hanging off the back. I suppose you could say it's the pumps fault.

So, I tried switching out pumps. I replaced the dual stock Accela 256g/hr pumps for a Jebao DC3000. The DC3000 still had vibrations so I switched it out for the DCT4000 and its still had vibrations only they were little higher pitch. Since my backup sicce pump was a rattling point of sale, i just wrote the pumps off as having vibrations. It's in the pumps nature. That said, why put a rattling vibrating pump INSIDE the display tank? Then to make matters worse, we strive to create a lid or cover to keep the fish from jumping...LOL. Why not build an environment that will keep the fish happy? Keep it to where they don't want to commit suicide? Oh wait, that's what we believe we are doing...

The DIY lid I switched out for the stock glass lids seemed like a better option. However, the back acrylic overflow wall is bowed so much that there is a gap between the DIY lid rim and the back overflow wall. Either way, I'm not comfortable with this glass cage. Neither are my fish.. In fact my male clownfish ditched his partner for a more comfortable spot on my living room floor. Seemed like a great snack for my cat too. RIP little clown. :(

Hopefully I will be seeing a new fish tank in the near future. Or I'll just give up on this over priced hobby.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my fish that are left, stay hidden. All i can see now is snails and my cleaner shrimp. I am kind of mad at myself for getting this tank.

Marktheshark83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it's the tank . Maybe ask jbj for new pumps because they are loud or something.

I love mine. Alot of others as well

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acrylic wall does nothing for reducing vibrations in the tank. Therefore the fish are constantly stressed by the vibrations. Switching pumps doesn't do much for vibrations, as most vibrate from magnetic friction.

Irsug1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mj1200s on mine. As long as the pump is not against the walls it's pretty quiet.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to check for other issues as well if you're fish are always hiding. Not too sure if the tank is the problem. Could be water parameters,could be another fish scaring them as well. There's a lot of things I would double check before jumping to conclusions about the tank. Just my .2 cents worth. I hope you get it figured out.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to check for other issues as well if you're fish are always hiding. Not too sure if the tank is the problem. Could be water parameters,could be another fish scaring them as well. There's a lot of things I would double check before jumping to conclusions about the tank. Just my .2 cents worth. I hope you get it figured out.
Yes I always check parameter before blaming equipment.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish jump for many reasons.... they are not necessarily trying to get out of the tank, as they don't even know they are in a tank. To them, the carpet is just another place in the ocean for them to swim. For them, it's moving from point A to point B. A couple of months ago one of my fish jumped when someone rushed into the room and threw open a suitcase right in front of them. They got a fright and darted...... unfortunately it landed my 7" scorpionfish on my guest's back and then the floor.

I didn't care for the pumps that came with my JBJs, so we swapped them out so they are on par with the noise from the other tanks. I have 5 JBJs, but only 2 are in use right now. I've had them since they came out with the very first model.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish that died was in my other tank for more than a year. Coincidentally, jumped out, during the night, after a month in his new tank. I did my absolute best to get water parameters to match the old tank. Lights were the same, power heads are the same, same salt, temp and percentage of water changes. The only difference between the two tanks is the addition of the return pump and slightly different water flow. But if anything the flow is slower due to the lack of corals. To me, the addition of a new element with reduction of live stock equals reduction by new element.
unfortunately it landed my 7" scorpionfish on my guest's back and then the floor.
Oh my!:eek:

I'm not giving up. It's still a fresh tank and want to give it more time. Its been up and running for almost 4 months now. My search continues for a vibration free pump lol

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think our pumps are Sicces. The pumps don't actually sit on the bottom, but they are sort of suspended so they don't touch the sides. I can't tell you how that reduces the vibes.

Your fish probably wasn't used to it's new environment.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think our pumps are Sicces. The pumps don't actually sit on the bottom, but they are sort of suspended so they don't touch the sides.
Your fish probably wasn't used to it's new environment.

The pumps that came with my JBJ are Accela pumps. I upgraded those two because one of them made a sharp "bzzz" sound. Now, I have an adjustable DC3000 suspended from a Y connector. It sits about half an inch from the bottom. I have its setting on 1 of 8. So far it's the quietest pump I have used. There are several I've yet to try. The Sicce pumps are nice in my opinion. I have one in my skimmer but I do have the syncra 2.0 that has an impeller issue. Might even have a short too. Not sure what happened to that pump but I was using it for water mixing.

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the problem lies with the pumps or human error (pump rating, placement etc) Neither however are the cause of your fish to jump. Fish jump because that is what they do whether they're being chased, frightened or just swimming normally.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the problem lies with the pumps or human error (pump rating, placement etc) Neither however are the cause of your fish to jump. Fish jump because that is what they do whether they're being chased, frightened or just swimming normally.
I think the mortality rate would have been far less had I used a real sump rather a all-in-one with the return pump in the display tank.

you could say my decision was human error.

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the mortality rate would have been far less had I used a real sump rather a all-in-one with the return pump in the display tank.

you could say my decision was human error.

Mortality rate? Thought you said you only lost one fish? Also, I strongly disagree and probably everyone else (not me I have a sump) with an AIO would also disagree with your belief a sump would have changed anything.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back