OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. 1 out of 4 fish. Down to 3 fish. Death rate or mortality rate = minus one. For now, my firefish stays hidden. My female black clown shoved herself in a cave. Shrimp and red banded goby stopped looking for food. I just turkey baste food into their little holes. I might see a fin or claw if i'm lucky. At first I thought my lights were too bright. Really though, it's the same lights on the same settings. Except I mounted the fixture 4 inches higher than the previous tank.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like @Lionfish Lair said, "could be the environment"

New tank, new aquascape, new return pump...

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhetorically speaking, the vibrations become more tolerable for the fish or the vibrations reduce for whatever reason(ie new pump, miracle) and they start coming out of their holes, when would be a good time to get a new mate for my clownfish?

I want to believe she is tolerant of this tank but she expresses depression? I've read that clowns can show different behaviors when their mates die? Would it be possible to get a new tank mate for her that is still a juvenile and would become male? Or could that just be one of those roulette gambles?

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on, lets argue... Whats the problem? Your opinion matters more than mine or you are having a hard time believing a pump could scare fish right out of the water?

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on, lets argue... Whats the problem? Your opinion matters more than mine or you are having a hard time believing a pump could scare fish right out of the water?

I'm not trying to argue all I was gonna say was this entire thread would have been nonexistent if you had a lid on. You didn't, therefore it was human error. The end.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to argue all I was gonna say was this entire thread would have been nonexistent if you had a lid on. You didn't, therefore it was human error. The end.
The tank has a lid on it! There is this spot on the acrylic wall that is bowed outward causing a gap between the acrylic wall and the lid. Right in between the two return nozzles. The fish didn't jump because of any neglect on my part.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dsc20160304.jpg

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then your cover wasn't adequate and its responsibility to make it adequate. It isn't the fishes responsibility to stay in the tank. So Again, human error. Blame the tank, blame the fish, blame the pump etc if you had the tank fully covered it wouldn't happen.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then your cover wasn't adequate and its responsibility to make it adequate. It isn't the fishes responsibility to stay in the tank. So Again, human error. Blame the tank, blame the fish, blame the pump etc if you had the tank fully covered it wouldn't happen.

Sorry but I don't agree. If the fish wasn't stressed it wouldn't have tried to jump out. If The fish was stressed and persistently trying to jump out, my guess the fish would get ich and would result in possible death anyway.

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't only jump because of stress. My tank is dead silent and I've still had fish jump. People with perfect tanks have fish jump all the time. If you have read any care sheet it will tell you whether a fish is prone to jumping or not. Heck I had a clown jump while he was trying to attack me. My apolopogies if it came off like I was trying to make you out to be a bad reefer or it was all your fault. Some fish just jump bro, it happens.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone believe in fish destiny and tank owner's luck? I have never had a clown jump out of my aquarium but I have heard about that many times. I have 2 fire fish in my rimless now. Tank is not cover and knock on woods, they are not jumping yet. Other tank mates don't give them a hard time so they are happy for now....

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't only jump because of stress. My tank is dead silent and I've still had fish jump. People with perfect tanks have fish jump all the time. If you have read any care sheet it will tell you whether a fish is prone to jumping or not. Heck I had a clown jump while he was trying to attack me. My apolopogies if it came off like I was trying to make you out to be a bad reefer or it was all your fault. Some fish just jump bro, it happens.

I'm a girl but it seems we won't ever agree. Your fish jumped because your hands were in the tank? So that means it was your fault then? But because my lid is inadequate and some mystery reason that makes it my fault? See now we are getting into the lid debate and its all BS to me. Just like the US vs Chinese debates. The jebao vs ecotech. The I don't care debate. This fish has been in my care for more than a year with his mate being very happy and never once had issues, ON A LIDLESS TANK! :eek: But one day I decide to add in inadequate lid to my new tank and all hell breaks loose. Really?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back