JBJNanoCube24 Refugium Question

Captngutts

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2023
Messages
43
Reaction score
63
Location
Shippensburg
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to run a Tunze 8831 Fuge light in the middle chamber of my tank for a refugium. (See pic)
Question: I’m 8 days into the cycle of this tank, should I wait until it’s finished cycling to start on the refugium? (Thinking about using Chaeto for it.)
5D6EDBBE-9D74-444A-902C-99B60A77598A.jpeg
 
Probably won’t be much to fuel growth until you’ve had fish/inverts in there for a month or two. You also don’t want nutrients stripped out during the cycle. I usually wait until I see green algae forming on the glass and the “ugly phase“ is over. In a tank that small nutrients aren’t much of an issue if you change water weekly so be careful down the road. Too much nutrient export has its own pitfalls.
 
Probably won’t be much to fuel growth until you’ve had fish/inverts in there for a month or two. You also don’t want nutrients stripped out during the cycle. I usually wait until I see green algae forming on the glass and the “ugly phase“ is over. In a tank that small nutrients aren’t much of an issue if you change water weekly so be careful down the road. Too much nutrient export has its own pitfalls.
Thanks for the info! Believe it or not, I was kept awake last night contemplating this. As I thought about it, it occurred to me that it is all about nutrient export and would likely be premature. Your reply confirms this for me! I’m an eager beginner to all of this. Perhaps too eager, and need to learn patience!
Your reply is much appreciated.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new