jcolliii's IM25 Lagoon journey - MASTERTRONIC up and running!

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just started the slow process of accumulating stuff for the rebuild.

I bought a 12" x 12" x 3/8" piece of delrin to cut 4" square tiles out of. Will sand those with 220 to give them a nice matte finish and start to accumulate other odds and ends. Need to get the high strength reef safe black silicone (anyone know which one offhand?), and I have some old Fiji branch, definitely not enough to do what I want, but enough to get a start anyhow. I am not going to go through all this trouble to use bleak white rocks, so need to find some purple dye that will not clog up the pores, but coraline probably does that eventually anyhow. Might go with a different return pump as well. Dunno know yet though. I am thinking a lot of bottom flow to keep the bottom nice and clean.

I don't think anyone has done what I'm thinking about, but there are a few similar notions that folks have had over the years.

pallobi.jpg

Pallobi's old tank on RC. Don't think this tank is still running. This is a similar idea, but is very rectilinear. My risers will be more randomly placed to produce a main island and a smaller one...

And there is also an even older thread on Calmseasquest tank (I also believe on RC. Also similar, but he broke it down and started fresh in 2013 as he was sick of maintaining the acrylic. I want coraline on my risers, but not my tiles, which is why I went with something easy to take out a piece at a time and scrub. Both quite neat ideas, hope mine will be in the same ballpark.

calmseaquest.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just started the slow process of accumulating stuff for the rebuild.

I bought a 12" x 12" x 3/8" piece of delrin to cut 4" square tiles out of. Will sand those with 220 to give them a nice matte finish and start to accumulate other odds and ends. Need to get the high strength reef safe black silicone (anyone know which one offhand?), and I have some old Fiji branch, definitely not enough to do what I want, but enough to get a start anyhow. I am not going to go through all this trouble to use bleak white rocks, so need to find some purple dye that will not clog up the pores, but coraline probably does that eventually anyhow. Might go with a different return pump as well. Dunno know yet though. I am thinking a lot of bottom flow to keep the bottom nice and clean.

I don't think anyone has done what I'm thinking about, but there are a few similar notions that folks have had over the years.

pallobi.jpg

Pallobi's old tank on RC. Don't think this tank is still running. This is a similar idea, but is very rectilinear. My risers will be more randomly placed to produce a main island and a smaller one...

And there is also an even older thread on Calmseasquest tank (I also believe on RC. Also similar, but he broke it down and started fresh in 2013 as he was sick of maintaining the acrylic. I want coraline on my risers, but not my tiles, which is why I went with something easy to take out a piece at a time and scrub. Both quite neat ideas, hope mine will be in the same ballpark.

calmseaquest.jpg
Have you thought about using something like this
to attach to the tiles. You could build up different heights, the rock is already purple, and it would retain the modularity you’re looking for. I think that would work if I’m understanding what you’re trying to do correctly.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could build the uprights out of multiple small pieces like brs show in their nsa scape video, but I am after more of a straight vertical upright (or maybe a few branched ones perhaps) using Fiji or Tonga branch rock. I have a few pieces left of a hoard I used to have - maybe enough to get started. The bases and tops will be cut flat so the bases can be siliconed to the tiles and so the corals can be glued to the tops. The branches will be different heights so that a overall mound-like effect will be produced by the corals atop their branch rock 'trunks'.

This type of rock (sadly, I only have three pieces each less than a foot long). But, I will use some of my current rock as well probably.
tonga.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could build the uprights out of multiple small pieces like brs show in their nsa scape video, but I am after more of a straight vertical upright (or maybe a few branched ones perhaps) using Fiji or Tonga branch rock. I have a few pieces left of a hoard I used to have - maybe enough to get started. The bases and tops will be cut flat so the bases can be siliconed to the tiles and so the corals can be glued to the tops. The branches will be different heights so that a overall mound-like effect will be produced by the corals atop their branch rock 'trunks'.

This type of rock (sadly, I only have three pieces each less than a foot long). But, I will use some of my current rock as well probably.
tonga.jpg
Gotcha, what I was thinking of was more or less straight stacks of rock but I think my bases would have been wider than what you are going for. If I’m understanding correctly your going for a more natural looking version of that first example picture, not the straight square uniform column style, and with varying heights?

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, and the uprights will be mostly centered in one cluster (of varying heights) to produce one main 'island' with a second smaller one. I may use a black colarant on the uprights also, instead of purple. I really want the corals to POP even more than they already do! This stuff looks like it will fit the bill and not clog up the pores in the rocks.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, and the uprights will be mostly centered in one cluster (of varying heights) to produce one main 'island' with a second smaller one. I may use a black colarant on the uprights also, instead of purple. I really want the corals to POP even more than they already do! This stuff looks like it will fit the bill and not clog up the pores in the rocks.

Yep, that stuff seems like it should work well. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orbit_City_Spacely_Place.png

Have had this in the back of my mind while thinking about this scape. LOL - dating myself...
I got it immediately so I guess I’m dated right along with you. I think it’s going to be one of those things where it’ll be weird at first until it grows in and then it will be spectacular.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of my corals have grown pretty large over the past couple of months - that darn cap is 8" around now. I think that single coral is single-handedly depleting my supply of AFR! LOL.

Just bought an 8 oz container of reef safe black dye and a nice big branch on ebay for pretty cheap. I figure 2 or 3 more decent sized branches and I'll be good to get started cutting, and playing with heights and configurations. Then dying, drying, soaking and cycling. Going to cycle these in a big bucket with a heater and powerhead so they'll be ready to go all at once.

branch1.jpg

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need maybe 3 or 4 more taller straight branches and a couple bifurcating ones. I counted 23 coral colonies in my tank tonight and nearly all of them are large enough to have their own column. My brains are all nearly 3 or 4 inches around now... that platy in my avatar is growing like crazy. I will have to take a top-down shot of that coral soon. It's insane - that one colony easily has 4 colors: Green, pink, purple, and sky blue.

Played around a little bit with the idea just a bit more for proof of concept.

POC2.jpg

This layout (again, just a quickie 'sketch') could accommodate around half of my colonies. That little nub in front is far too short, but the others will be good for some of the lower light things. Not all perfectly straight either, but I can adjust on my belt sander as needed. Bear in mind, some of my colonies are a good 5 or 6 inches tall now too, so they will need shorter columns. I have one paly colony that is easily 300 polyps - that will just have to stay on its current branch and the whole branch flattened off and inverted so that I can dry the end off to silicone it. I suppose that could be cut and reglued. Dunno yet. The palys are always so problematic to figure out how to move once they start spreading. My Krakatoa colonies (I split them up about a year ago) are each 30 or 40 polyps now too - might have to just cut up that branch I think.

My DIY dosing pump has also crapped out, so had to order a new Kamoer bluetooth one - how can you not buy those for the price? Looking forward to being able to divide my doses evenly throughout the day quickly and easily. Black silicone, black dye, and the one branch will be here by the weekend I think. Have not gotten a shipping notice on the black acetal sheet yet though.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys have really colored back up nicely as well. They are that bright. Need to find a better spot for them though, they're kind of in the back right now.
20200721_140707.jpeg

I was flipping back through your build thread and wanted to ask...what is this? Some sort of paly? Awesome color.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was flipping back through your build thread and wanted to ask...what is this? Some sort of paly? Awesome color.
Palythoa grandis. One of the highest palytoxin corals from what I understand. But they are huge and beautiful. Some of the polyps are 3" wide now. Will get some top down pics this weekend.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did get big! I kind of can't wait to get all of those colonies separated out onto their own 'pedestal' I think it will be cleaner and simpler looking and they'll all be able to be seen more in their entirety. Got the trial piece of black delrin, will probably sand one side and cut it up over the weekend. Black reef safe dye will be here on Saturday, so I may be able to start assembling some stuff on the weekend.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I just found the last of my branchrock - looks like old Tonga branch that someone had laying around (just like I had). About 5 lbs worth. With what I've cut already, I think I had space for 13 or 14 of my colonies. I think I can cut this new rock up into 6 or 7 pieces which should give me enough!

old-branches.jpg

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been documenting the re-scape in the aquascaping forum just in case folks over there are in the mood for something a bit different. The dye is very much on the purplish side - it's a black for sure, but it is a purple-black. The dye smells like latex, so I am pretty sure it's a latex base as it does clean up with water. It is quite saturated with color though. I think one coat will definitely be enough for what I am after. Anyhow, because it's latex, it has really dried quite quickly and I have been able to silicone the first batch onto the prepared 3.75 x 3.75" tiles I cut earlier in the week. It's coming together.

output.jpg

output (1).jpg

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news, my pH is now 8.7 and the lights have gone out.

No, it's not. My probe has gone I think, or I did not let it calibrate long enough in the calibration fluid last time. It's got to be coming up on a year though, so probably time to replace. Will attempt calibration one more time tomorrow after replacing the 9v battery first I think.

Have decided on a hammer for the clown, but need to get a fairly good sized 6 or 8 head colony and I don't want to buy one. So I think in a few weeks, when my rocks are close to cured, I will start cutting corals off of the current rock and see if someone is interested in trading a colony of Cornbred Bloodshot Krakatoas for one. We'll see what I can find that way first. Hopefully, that will keep the clown away from the open brain (which is recovering from all of the snuggling nicely).

I also switched out my flipper scraper for an Algae Free scraper - the wood handled one in the smallest size. I also bought the actual razor blade attachment for it as I had some stubborn algae on the glass. OMG, is that thing ever worth the price. SUPER strong magnet - so strong in fact, I think I am going to have to put an extra layer of felt on the outside part to decrease the force a bit. Works SOOOOOOOOO much better than the flipper did and this one actually floats to the surface in the rare instance it detaches. Great product, well worth the relatively high cost for an algae magnet scraper.

piranha-float-plus.jpg

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First batch of uprights is cycling. Shook out my liter of seachem matrix really really well in the heated saltwater they are in and added a good pinch of fish flakes. Tomorrow will pick up a bottle of bacteria and really get it going. Color seems good so far after a few hours. Still has a somewhat latex-ey smell.

OP
OP
jcolliii

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a couple of pieces of the cycling rock in my display and epoxied a couple of my corals on top. Look pretty good except the really pale epoxy. Ordered some grey epoxy, will see if that looks better.

I did finally manage to get some 'bigfoot quality' pictures of my yellow coral banded shrimp performing cleaning duties on Starsky (the starkii damsel). Really ungreat quality (saw this out of the corner of my eye, grabbed a couple photos, 10 seconds later it was done), but you can see the damsel opens wide for a cleaning and then lingers for a good side scratching. Neat behavior, never seen a CBS do cleaning duties before. Maybe this is more typical of the smaller Stenopus species?

IMG_20211116_224921.jpg

IMG_20211116_224940.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back