jda's 240g Acropora Rebuild

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does rebuild count? Internet was on 14.4k modem when I first built this tank. I have moved it a few states, but still set it up the way that it was before. ...everybody knows what a badge ***** that I am. :)
I love me some badges too

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looks like when you take out colonies attached to rocks. The fish and CUC will clean this up, but it takes a few days. I will put a new rock in there and it will be covered in coralline and frags in no time. Those sponges are super important, IMO - they will get green if I leave them in the same place and let the light hit them.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyree superman is something to see in person - very nice & blue squamosas are treasures.

Awesome coral, thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish2morrow quazar. This is a millepora that reacts to blue light like some tenuis do. This one really shines under some trick light and most people have never heard of it. This one gives any blue-light tenuis a run for their money and it is a millepora to boot. Colony photo courtesy of my friend @scchase. I have never seen another millepora like it. I was really excited to get this one.

WWC Purple Candle - this one is leaving via a trade... about a 2.5" frag that shines if you can give it enough light.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RMF Rainbows in Spain - classic fast grower. Photo is horrible, by just posting to document growth.

RMF Red Devil Nasuta - has stalled out a bit... will probably clip the tips to get some growth.

BC Honeycomb (RMF Gila Monster) - not great color yet. This one could also be BC Blue Ghost and I worry that I got the names mixed up. They will show themselves in time.

Copps Blueberry Miyagi - an in-person favorite. Wonderful color under any lights and fast grower. I actually gave all of mine away and regretted it and had to get a frag back.

Last edited:

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trick light version and regular
OIP00100.jpg
OIP00017.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Wet Thumbs Tierra Del Fuego went in tact to a local hospital aquarium. That is the red coral in the first photo. I am not going to have a frag of it in this iteration of the tank - shades too much below it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 2.49.45 PM.png
That’s pretty generous of you to give away a whole colony of WT TdF. If it looked (I saw your pic) anything like the iterations I’ve seen in real life,1) I would be hesitant to give it away for free, 2) would have a frag of it in the rebuild. There’s just no way someone walks away from a true TdF after having it colored up properly. It’s like giving away a whole colony of Hung’s Rainbow or a PB or Lucky Charms colony; those are masterpieces if one can get them colored up how they should be.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got that TDF, Mother of Pearl and Pink ****** frag about a decade ago (or more?) from Dan, just before Tyree made them LEs. I wish that the MOP did as well for me as the TDF did. I do worry a bit about being able to get a legit piece again, but I have had it for so long, it is time to move on. i did struggle with this one for a few years before it just exploded - it was one of my nemesis corals. I wish that Wet Thumbs was still in business. There are a lot of TDFs out there...

Have you ever had colonies that get this big and have to make the hard choice? Smashing them up can break your heart even more than giving them away. You can only frag them so much before you cannot get the clippers down in there to grab ahold of something - the best thing to do is to just drop them onto a hard surface and let them break as they will. Both are hard, but it gets easier when you know that you can grow them all back again. Besides, even if you frag 1" all the way around a colony the size of a dinner plate, that just buys you a month or two.

...so you gotta choose... get rid of them or destroy them. I can tell you that just giving away one coral is a lot less work than having dozens of people come over to your house during a pandemic (if you don't saturate the local market with people who can keep it) or trying to sell and ship this stuff without being picky and getting some of the worst type of customers who want a refund after letting their packages sit out overnight because they forgot about them (which is why I like to trade). It can be a logistical nightmare to clear out a tank of large stuff. Everybody thinks that it is easy selling 3/4 inch frags off of their golf ball sized "colonies" but larger stuff is much harder to deal with and ship. I marvel at Copp's ability to trim and ship large hunks of stuff, but nobody is as good as he is and there is no shame in that.

This makes donations to a NFP look downright easy and reasonable... and every once in a while, they return the favor with some nice stuff (more precisely, the guys who do the maintenance return the favor).

When I get 5 teenagers off of the payroll, a bigger tank will come so that I can keep some of these longer.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point. Unfortunately I do have large /largish colonies that I let grow into each either because I’m lazy or don’t care about the interactions (I don’t have widespread death when two acros touch, I’m sure you don’t either), OR I don’t like to trim them cuz they’re so thick (so yes I agree sometimes clippers can’t get in there), and sometimes they look super funky when they’re trimmed, so I leave it alone.

I’ve had colonies shade out others and sometimes I just can’t care unless it’s a super nice piece below it.

I bet you’ll regret letting go of a WT TdF, I know I would if I had the real deal.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my non-acropora. These are in the frag tank. I keep the chalices becuase I like them. The Colorado Sunbursts, Eclectus and Bounces are to trade or sell.

I got rid of all of my chalices and then got these two back a little while ago - I missed them.

Atom Bomb (goes by many other names of the same coral)

Gonzo's Motor City Mayhem

CSB - about 6" and ready to divide
Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 5.38.13 PM.png

Eclectus - only about 2". They get their great color in about another half of an inch, or so.
Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 5.38.42 PM.png

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back