Jebao CP-40 CP40 Cross-Flow Wave Pump Maker Wavermaker

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to replace my two ac cheap pumps...
wondering on thoughts on this and if anyone has one
thanks guys n gals :)

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really?????
no one even has an opion on these??

I have one I just bought like a week or two ago, it's been functioning perfectly. I have a 48"L x 18"W tank that I run it on 40-50% power. I don't have corals yet, but so far I'm really happy with it.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used one before and now replaced to Gyre XF250. In general as all are aware you will get on what you pay for....
The below is my personal experience and experts are welcome to input their comments.

Pros :
-Good price
-Works good as it says
-noise level will be same as of the gyre so not to consider on this
-Very good customer service if you contact Jebao directly by email
-other than cleaning and maintenance its a good pump.

Cons:
-First download the dismantle instruction with pictures (which will not come with the pump) before attempting.
-Maintenance and cleaning will be pain as the built quality is so delicate, need to be careful while dismantle and mounting
-Square shape rubber bush which hold the rotor shaft and motor, damages fastly and for replace spares I have to contact Jebao and pay the courier alone. There is one dealer called "Fish street" he will charge for both the spare and the courier cost.
-Built quality of the cage is not good and chance of breaking is more, you will not get additional spares like Maxspect along with the purchase
-Rubber "O" ring which hold the cage gets damaged easily while dismantle, more care needed.

OP
OP
tgp4274

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok...
I have a 6' tank and am thinking of putting it on one end and my ecotech's at the other
Would love to get 2 more ecotech's but they so pricey........

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok...
I have a 6' tank and am thinking of putting it on one end and my ecotech's at the other
Would love to get 2 more ecotech's but they so pricey........

For the price of 2 ecotechs, you could buy like 7 of the Jebao CP40's. So let's say each CP40 lasts you a year; you have 7 years worth of flow before you start spending more money on pumps compared to Ecotech. By that time I'm assuming there will be a different type of pump you will be wanting anyway.

Just a thought.

Bottyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put an order in for a CP40 as well.

I share the same thought as HomeSlizzice. I think as long as you have redundancy and follow good husbandry, the market is moving so fast with new innovative products, something new will come out that you will want to try soon.

My MPs are still going strong but are a generations/releases old.

I'll be posting updates when it arrives in my tank build.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting in an order for the cp55 on my 8ft 320g... do you think one will be enough (supplemented by 2 20000lph and 3 6000lph wavemakers) or will I need one at either end?

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I bought Jebao cross flow. Soon I opened it and place in tank. Only one side was working. I got a replacement and same thing happen after 2 months. When working not bad. But cheaply made. I was hoping at least get a year. Didn't happen for me....

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone having issues with bubbles coming from their CP-40? When I have it on constant mode my tank looks like a jacuzzi!

Bottyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put an order in for a CP40 as well.

I share the same thought as HomeSlizzice. I think as long as you have redundancy and follow good husbandry, the market is moving so fast with new innovative products, something new will come out that you will want to try soon.

My MPs are still going strong but are a generations/releases old.

I'll be posting updates when it arrives in my tank build.

So I received it and there is a video of it in Gyre mode running in my tank build. I did have one issue. When it was in reverse mode it would make this annoying high pitched chirping sound. I thought somehow I got sand in the gears or something. To remediate the issue, all it took was removing the rubber ring and putting it back in snug.

Silent... moves water throughout my tank like a champ. Check out the video if you want to see and hear it. I can make some other videos if you are still undecided.

Really liking it so far.

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought 2 off ebay. they have been running well for 4 months. i opted for the extended 3 year warranty. i dont expect them to last more then a year thus the warranty

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought 2 off ebay. they have been running well for 4 months. i opted for the extended 3 year warranty. i dont expect them to last more then a year thus the warranty
I agree with the above statement about them being so much cheaper it doesn't matter if they hold up because you can buy 7 for the price of one of the better ones. They are throw aways. I'm planning to buy a couple this week to replace the old (conventional ones, wp-60 or whatever) that I've had the last 2 or 3 years. Happy with the time I got from those.

Wouldn't waste money on warranty from Jebao though. From what I've read (threads here) they don't respond to warranty claims. Might get lucky with a good vendor covering the problem part but probly not Jebao.

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a 3 year extended warranty on ebay through assurant. it wasnt much extra

Bottyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received it and there is a video of it in Gyre mode running in my tank build. I did have one issue. When it was in reverse mode it would make this annoying high pitched chirping sound. I thought somehow I got sand in the gears or something. To remediate the issue, all it took was removing the rubber ring and putting it back in snug.

Silent... moves water throughout my tank like a champ. Check out the video if you want to see and hear it. I can make some other videos if you are still undecided.

Really liking it so far.

So far I like the pulse and gyre mode...

ccerone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an Ice Cap Gyre 3k for $135. So far so good, replaced 2 Jebaos.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just weighing in today on the Jebao CP-40's. I have two and both stopped working after cleaning. Put them to the side in the hopes of looking at them more carefully and today I've had it. Spent the afternoon taking them apart and putting them back together carefully and couldn't get either one to work. JUNK. When they were working they were OK. One was a little noisy. I was just checking the forums to see if anyone had any "tricks" to get them up and running. Sometimes it's just a little thing you're doing wrong but haven't really found anything helpful. So, my 2 cents, stay away.

Call me weird but I'm sick of all of these DC Motors, adapters and controllers. Going back to the very inexpensive propeller style AC wavemakers. $15 a pop. Simple and easy to clean. Plug and play simplicity.

To be fair to Jebao I have more than 5 Jebao DC pumps for several years and they have not given me any problems. The crossflow just wasn't ready for prime time.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I decided to take a chance on the CP-150 would one be enough for a Reefer 450 (90 gallon) or would two be necessary to avoid dead spots? I have no idea how these work in comparison to wave makers.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I decided to take a chance on the CP-150 would one be enough for a Reefer 450 (90 gallon) or would two be necessary to avoid dead spots? I have no idea how these work in comparison to wave makers.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incloud, watch the new BRS video on Flow. It's worth the time. It depends very much on the type of corals you keep and what kind of substrate you have if any.

That said I would probably get two. It gives you more options to adjust the intensity and flow patterns. So, for example, if you have one pump you have to run it on "high" creating super flow on one end of the tank blasting corals close by and a much milder flow on the far end.

This is an update to my above post which was written after a frustrating afternoon. I have about 9 of these pumps which I rotate through 3 125g tanks. I have nver owned another brand so I can't compare quality. That said I think Ponraj A above is spot on.
1. You get what you pay for. I have encountered a few weird build quality issues like the mounting magnets installed with the polarity backwards. Still kinda works just silly.
2. The pumps are difficult to breakdown and clean. Reassembly has to be done carefully. I bought a few extra to rotate them to take some pressure off of cleaning. I think twice before taking them apart.
3. I have never tried to get spare parts, o rings, bushings, etc but that could be an issue. I have just canabalized old pumps.
4. That said, they seem to work fine for what they are. I have had to decommission two which I use for spare parts. Some have been running for about 3 years.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back