OP
CastAway

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of nems! I've always wanted one but not sure if I want a large killer coral roaming around the tank, especially since its just a 20 long.

I'm sorry about those corals. I know you'll be able to kick this tank back into high gear soon! I'm really looking forward to meeting you hopefully soon! Stunning tank! I'm sure it looks far better in person though :p

GREAT to meet you today @C-Reefer! I hope those corals do well! Keep me posted.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just tear themselves apart....
0e698cda8e1b7c419b8dbcaf260ae2fc.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Four years in and floundering. Just laziness I realize. Some of my very first pieces.....
a07cb70799d55915dcb352fa4e0ecba2.jpg

I hope I stick with it, and that the breadth between successes and failures make me a better Reefer in the end (albeit that may be of softies only).

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you'll stick with it and pull out in the end. And then your reef will transform back into the beauty it once was.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One nice thing about removing dead pieces, is the light that now finds its way to other pieces.

With my luck, this chalice will tank now due to too much light!

14c8a51695cd06c33a293494c734cfaf.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make and female Vermiculite wrasse! Artfully Acrylic cover on order! Pics soon.

Shifting to softies and fish. Abandoning SPS for a while.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooo pretty wrasse. It has gorgeous coloration.

Good idea :). Will you be doing LPS? (plz plz plz do LPS lol). I'm wierd but I never really liked the giant acro gardens. I love my LPS/softie flowing reef. With a few SPS like birdsnest.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you finished wrapping your stand? I see you have the boards on and I like the fact they are flush with the stand but how exactly are they being held in place/ taken out for accessing the sump?
Will you be adding more layers ?

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you finished wrapping your stand? I see you have the boards on and I like the fact they are flush with the stand but how exactly are they being held in place/ taken out for accessing the sump?
Will you be adding more layers ?

Hi @Picesduh. No, I have not finished wrapping the stand. The panels are the compressed paper sound boards from Home Depot. They are simply friction fit right now, flush with the steel frame. If I push the panels they slip out.

I hope to add wood doors or cabinetry as a final facade, and glue the sound proofing to the wood at that point.

I’ve been researching heavy duty frameless full overlay euro hinges, and hope to start work towards finishing soon.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you attach the euro hinges using screws would there be chance of rust where the holes are made? I also heard that making holes in steel is pretty hard but then again I have no idea on thaT. What about magnets?

I pretty much decided to get a steel stand for my new tank in a couple months but one of the companies is offering to wrap it in wood for a reasonable price. I’m on the wall with the idea because I feel I can be more creative with the wrapping then their options.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you attach the euro hinges using screws would there be chance of rust where the holes are made? I also heard that making holes in steel is pretty hard but then again I have no idea on thaT. What about magnets?

Always a chance of rust. I have some that I need to address. I’ve drilled and tapped several holes in it, to fasten the top and to hang pipe. I’ll do the same for hinges if I go that route. I’ve looked at the small rare earth magnets too, the kind that can be counter sunk and fastened.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back