Jeff's 150 Build - The Salt Box

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow super cool vid!

You said you're converting to softie LPS mainly? Aquatic Marine just stocked up big time on LPS. Lots of gorgeus peieces, including some stunning chalices. I was super tempted but ended up with a Skunk Cleaner.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chalice corals have fared pretty well. I’d like to get some more; really colorful ones. Keep an eye out for me Colin. [emoji6]

Did a water change today, and will do another tomorrow, along with repacking my calcium reactor, new GAC, and hopefully a good cleaning of my sump. Gotta get right!

85d31eb49f67fafa044e0ba470e54959.jpg

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! Anything for a fellow reefer. :p

Oh, I found out the other meaning of reefer the other day. o_O Mabye I shouldn't go shouting from the rooftops I'm a reefer. :cool::p

I'd hate having to mix all that saltwater for a water change. So much work lol

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hate having to mix all that saltwater for a water change. So much work lol

The easy part is mixing 40g a of water - takes an hour start to use. I only match temp and SG, and don’t care about any other parameter given the ratio of new to total water.

The hard part for me is arranging and then re-arranging the aqua scape so as to vacuum, and, discarding five gallons at a time.

It takes my water line lower than I’d like, for longer than I’d like, and I typically loose an inch or two of coralline off my overflow. My stylo doesn’t seem to mind the prolonged exposure though.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Jeff, that was quite the 2 year catch up reading my friend. One heck of a journey into the life of a Reefkeeper... I'll be posting up my journey soon.
Give me a call when you have a chance to, same old number. Would be great to catch up.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Jeff, that was quite the 2 year catch up reading my friend. One heck of a journey into the life of a Reefkeeper... I'll be posting up my journey soon.
Give me a call when you have a chance to, same old number. Would be great to catch up.

Hey Man! Good to hear from you!

Ups and downs, for sure. My tank has probably never looked worse than it does right now, but, I’m learning.

Today, frustrated with my skimmer, I tore it apart and found the injector nozzle partially clogged. It looked like small shells, limpets or snails, I’m not sure. Anyway, my skimmer has now sprung to life and I have my number one nutrient export mechanism back!

Sometimes I don’t see the forest for the trees.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how's the tank coming along? Switched to LPS/softies yet? Is the tank making a comeback? Not that I thought it was a bit bad when I saw it, it was stunning.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @C-Reefer. I’m ashamed to say that I am indeed all LPS and softies at this time. All but my monti’s and stylo’s are gone. Thinking about getting out. [emoji45]

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @C-Reefer. I’m ashamed to say that I am indeed all LPS and softies at this time. All but my monti’s and stylo’s are gone. Thinking about getting out. [emoji45]

ASHAMED!?? LPS and softies are my favorite, period. My dream tank is pretty much yours just stuffed full of LPS and softies, and one or two SPS like montis and birdsnest/stylo. Really stinks that your going through such troubles. Have you thought about starting a smaller nano reef? Even somewhere in the 20+ range are a lot easier, and I think personally they're a lot of fun. Less work I would think too. If you truly are debating getting out of it, I'd highly suggest trying a nano.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You always share with us local folks. I'm pretty sure there are some locals willing to frag stuff for you.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can come frag anything out of my tank, except my designer aiptasia.:)

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying I’ve thought of bailing. The system is not getting a lot of attention right now. My RO/DI filters are so old, and the reduction ratio so screwed in the heat, I’m probably topping off with tap water. LOL

Sharing is what it ought to be all about. [emoji6]

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just saying I’ve thought of bailing. The system is not getting a lot of attention right now. My RO/DI filters are so old, and the reduction ratio so screwed in the heat, I’m probably topping off with tap water. LOL

I have an rodi I have never used. Nothing fancy, but you are welcome to it.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have an old RO/DI, just needs the filters replaced. Never got around to it because I have one that works. The frags I got from you are amazing and have all grown so much! I especially love the shrooms, working on getting a rock-full like you.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously, my rodi was used but has new filters.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm off on Sunday this week. I'd be happy to meet you half way. Pm me if you'd like it.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with 2 medium and 1 small guys, and now they've multiplied into about ten+ including a massive one who moves about every 2 weeks haha. I love them! Favorite shroom ever.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back