JNS Alpha 2 Biopellet Ractor

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i have a new chinese product. the Alpha 2 biopellet reactor. It is a pretty awsome pellet reactor but it does have its flaws. The packing and shipping was superb.styrofoam like crazy
ed1333f6.jpg
670bdfec.jpg

The plastic has the feel of high grade plastic. I dont have the confidence that it is built like a tank. I am accustom to the Bulk reef supply standard of quality but it doesn't even compare. It doesn't feel flimsy either with the exception of the legs. It appears that the company made an attempt to use the lowercase letter a as the legs of the reactor. It looks cool but i would rather have quality thick pieces of plastic instead of style. With other reactors i would just bump my reactor to dislodge clumps. I dare not do it with this on out of fear it might break.

The pump says 1.5. I think it is a propriety pump and im not sure of flow rate. I havent had any heat issues.
The measurements of the diameter is the outside diameter. the inside diameter is 3.5 inches
the entire height is 14.6 but the chamber is only 10 inch.
The main dissapointment was the capacity. It is stated that the capacity is 1.3L. This might be the water capacity because it is NOT pellet capacity. I pored in 1000ml of BRS pellets.
6962bdd8.jpg
Half of the media would spin and the other half was stuck at the top of the reactor. I couldnt get it to spin or tap into spinning. I had to take out half of the pellets in order for the reactor to spin properly. 1000ml was not tried with standard round pellets. I really do not have the funds to purchase these pellets just to test.

The Good (click on the link below)
[video]http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc474/tellycoleman/?action=view&current=dbee76d9.mp4[/video]

IT SPINNNS IT SPINNS IT SPINNS
You will never have to worry about anerobic respiration.

Would I buy it again? Yes It seems to be the best at moving biopellets and just blows other reactors out the water. I bet the next generation of these reactors will be better and refined in quality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I also like the ease to fill the reactor. The thumb screws are cool.

Another dislike. It is recommended that the affluent of these reactors be redirected to the skimmer. It is very difficult with these reactors. The alpha 2 has a acrylic standpipe I haven't measured it and it's to late tonight. I will be very difficult to redirect affluent to a skimmer. Wow I got a lot of negatives and not a lot of positives. Lol lol I still like

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Reactor Devon! I would agree with Chris on the flow. That thing looks like a tornado :smile:. You will have to play with the flow to get the right amount for your system. Mine is just enough to make some channels and the top portion of the media looks like it is floating on top of the rest of the media.

OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I guess that is another negative. In order to valve down the reactor I will have to somehow attach a ball valve to the output tube. Hmm didn't think about that. At current configuration it's all or nothing.
Yeah I think I need to take out like a teaspoon of media.
Ima see how long it takes to have a reduction in parameters. Might take a while since I run ozone and u.v.
More pictures when I get home.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brs reactor video shows a pretty good example of the kind of flow you are looking for. it's at 1:11

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/BulkReefSupplyCom#p/search/1/PRTcDewh9pI[/video]

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a valve on the output should be fine. With bio pellets it takes a few months to really get an idea of the needed flow/media amount : system ratio. Main thing is start out slow then work your way up in flow. You want about 100 gph or so to start.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkbout the flow of mine in the thread I did on my new toy. You want it to be somewhere just above that. Too much and you can either grind the pellets or get too much action from the bacteria. I saw that ins stuff. Their Skimmers look good but the reactor looked gimicky. They use a modified success pump in the Skimmers so ill bet it is a success that u have. The avast marine one unjust bought is really nice.

OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah latest news on the reactor. I can not reduce the output. It is larger than a 3/4 smaller than 1 inch. Sent an email to company for help today

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back