Joann's 60g cube...a work in slow progress

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm putting together my first tank. I picked up this little beauty off Craig's list for $350. It came with the tank, custom stand, custom sump, skimmer, return pump, led light, 1 power head and mag 9 return pump. Now I'm in the process of gradually getting all the many other things I need before I can even get it wet. I got a couple fans for summer in the desert and I think I've got pretty much everything I need for the QT tank. I'm ordering the RO/DI system next paycheck and maybe a few other little cheap things. It seems like it's going to take forever to collect everything. I've got a nice long wish list built up on Amazon.

I've pretty much decided I'm going to order BRS reef safe dry rock because it's super clean and as a diver I like that it's not harvested from the ocean. I think I'm leaning towards black sand but haven't fully decided yet. I've seen some pictures and I really like how it looks but it seems to have mixed reviews. Seems like people either love it or hate it.

I've also pretty much decided on my fish already...
Green clown goby
Spot tail blenny
Clown fish (undecided on which breed)
Purple firefish
Mckosker's flasher wrasse

Supposedly they're all easy, peaceful, reef safe fish. Eventually I want to have corals but first I'll see if I can keep the fish alive then start with some easy corals.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and introduce myself to the cube club. Hopefully someday I'll actually have water in my cube.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434214900.113819.jpg

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I like how the black makes the colors really pop. Or at least it does in the pictures I've seen. Plus I think it would make a nice contrast with the white stand.

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have a 24x24x24 cube I am working on also. I also have a Biocube 14. Both have black sand and I love it shows off the fish and corals very nicely!

Have any pics to share? :)

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping UPS in business. Got my water testing kit from Amazon today. Getting my refractometer and Belkin power cord next week and two Jebao RW8 pumps the following week. I'm thinking my next order will finally be rock, sand and salt. I'm getting excited. :)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good deal for $350, so how long until you fill it?

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good deal for $350, so how long until you fill it?

Unfortunately everything has come to a stop for the moment. All I have left to get before I fill is rock and sand which I could order right now but an issue with my hours at work has changed my priorities for the moment. Hopefully I'll be filling it within a couple months.

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally ordered my rock and sand. It should be here Monday. I'm so excited and anxious to get started I decided I needed to watch Finding Nemo. :)

MrGemini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HAVE A 60G CUBE AND I WAS USING A RW8 ANT IT BLEW SAND ALL DAY LONG CREATING BARE SPOTS IN SAND. I ENDED UP SWITCHING TO RW4'S AND ITS PERFECT. I THINK 2 8'S WILL DEFFINALY BE TOO MUCH

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HAVE A 60G CUBE AND I WAS USING A RW8 ANT IT BLEW SAND ALL DAY LONG CREATING BARE SPOTS IN SAND. I ENDED UP SWITCHING TO RW4'S AND ITS PERFECT. I THINK 2 8'S WILL DEFFINALY BE TOO MUCH

That's what I'm afraid of. I contacted the seller to try to exchange them for the 4s but they said I would have to pay to ship them back to Hong Kong. I think I might use just one of the 8s and try to sell/trade the other. Do you use 2 of the 4s or just one? Maybe I should sell them both. Feels like such a waste of money. :(

MrGemini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM USING 2 IN OPPOSITE CORNERS BUT PRETTY MUCH FACING EACH OTHER AND APPEARS TO BE WORKING FINE. THIS WEEKEND I'M GETTING A HYDRA 26 WITH CONTROLLER. CURRENTLY ONLY HAVE AN ai NANO, BUT LOOKS GOOD JUST NOT ENOUGH DEPTH.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the white stand. I started out with the idea of fish only and ended up with corals in no time! Just too many beautiful creatures to resist. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. :)

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the white stand. I started out with the idea of fish only and ended up with corals in no time! Just too many beautiful creatures to resist. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. :)

Thanks, the stand is what drew me to it on the craigslist ad. Well and the price. I decided to go with black sand. I think it's going to make a really nice contrast with the stand. Plus I like the way it makes colors pop in the pictures I've seen. The sand and rock should be here Monday. I can't wait to see it all come together.

OP
OP
DiverGirl82

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HERE'S A PIC OF MY 60G RIMLESS!

20150903_152048.jpg

Very nice. You're making me even more eager to get mine going. I looked on Amazon and the prices have gone up. The 4s are now the same price I paid for the 8s. :(

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back