Joining the dark side (former freshwater, tech/game person, northern CA)

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I've wanted to build a coral reef tank for decades and am finally taking the plunge.

I've kept freshwater tanks consistently for the last ten years or so and sporadically before that. More recently I had gotten into aquascaping and low tech planted tanks; I currently have a 15g awaiting conversion into a freshwater shrimp tank. My 'main' tank is a 2016 IM Nuvo Fusion 30L Micro (I think these are now called AIO?). A couple of months ago I was rebooting it, emptied it completely, sanitized, and plasti-dipped the back white (more fashionable for planted tanks given the white wall behind it -- with AIO you can't do full transparent tank obviously). Then was staring at it and realizing it's really "meant" to be a saltwater tank, and I had been watching YouTube videos (I know, I know) about soft coral tanks. Found a saltwater LFS I liked and got confirmatory advice that, especially if I stick to soft corals, it shouldn't be too much tougher than planted freshwater.

I'll start a build thread but just wanted to say hi. This is a really neat community! I've been in online communities since 1995 (gulp) and wandered my way into a career in video game design, then eventually big tech. I work on AI research now (on the applied side, I'm a designer, not a researcher) and have had a side project for many years to build a video game about coral reefs. So that's another piece of the puzzle -- figured I had better walk the walk. ;)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I've wanted to build a coral reef tank for decades and am finally taking the plunge.

I've kept freshwater tanks consistently for the last ten years or so and sporadically before that. More recently I had gotten into aquascaping and low tech planted tanks; I currently have a 15g awaiting conversion into a freshwater shrimp tank. My 'main' tank is a 2016 IM Nuvo Fusion 30L Micro (I think these are now called AIO?). A couple of months ago I was rebooting it, emptied it completely, sanitized, and plasti-dipped the back white (more fashionable for planted tanks given the white wall behind it -- with AIO you can't do full transparent tank obviously). Then was staring at it and realizing it's really "meant" to be a saltwater tank, and I had been watching YouTube videos (I know, I know) about soft coral tanks. Found a saltwater LFS I liked and got confirmatory advice that, especially if I stick to soft corals, it shouldn't be too much tougher than planted freshwater.

I'll start a build thread but just wanted to say hi. This is a really neat community! I've been in online communities since 1995 (gulp) and wandered my way into a career in video game design, then eventually big tech. I work on AI research now (on the applied side, I'm a designer, not a researcher) and have had a side project for many years to build a video game about coral reefs. So that's another piece of the puzzle -- figured I had better walk the walk. ;)
Welcome! I was in the same boat as you recently thought probably not as nice of a planted tank as yours. I enjoyed the heck out of it but really wanted to get into reef tanks the whole time, I was just intimidated. I’ve only had my little nano reef going for about 4 months now. I know you can do it! Lots of great information here and if you are someone that likes to learn and is willing to put the time in, you will absolutely do well here. I will say that I’ve spent a lot more money than I anticipated but that’s all because I wanted to have nice equipment and coral is addicting. My advice is to envision your end game reef tank and don’t take shortcuts. If you know you’re going to want that $200 wave maker or light later on, just do it now so you aren’t throwing money away. The more you spend upfront, the better off you are in the long run in my opinion. Pics of my simple 10g shrimp planted tank and 14g IM penninsula.

E8882E22-5326-493F-BC54-F9ADCA6AD3F6.jpeg
39B7E7D6-1899-4F15-8DA1-5FA6FB190840.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! I am in Roseville (NE of Sac)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back