Really excited to join and start an extremely high-tech tank!

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I've been a long time lurker and video watcher. At some point this year I hope to get the funds to start my own small reef tank. Professionally I am a very experienced programmer and one thing I've been excited to try doing is building a fully automated high-efficiency tank eco/system. I will probably look to DIY as much of it as possible so I can get the most flexibility and power out of it.

One thing I'm really interested in doing as I build and mature my first system is to try to find a way to automate and self-sustain a phytoplankton + pods breeder and doser. From my research it seems like a relatively unexplored area of the hobby (automating + self-sustaining) and it looks like fun to try out without much risk involved.

One thing I'm struggling with is that there doesn't seem to be much of a local Queensland group - Do people generally trade or give away frags, macroalgae etc? I thought I'd see more of it or maybe I just can't find it.

Of course these are just words and I'm sure I will continue to be surprised by the depth of knowledge in this hobby, but that's part of the fun!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I've been a long time lurker and video watcher. At some point this year I hope to get the funds to start my own small reef tank. Professionally I am a very experienced programmer and one thing I've been excited to try doing is building a fully automated high-efficiency tank eco/system. I will probably look to DIY as much of it as possible so I can get the most flexibility and power out of it.

One thing I'm really interested in doing as I build and mature my first system is to try to find a way to automate and self-sustain a phytoplankton + pods breeder and doser. From my research it seems like a relatively unexplored area of the hobby (automating + self-sustaining) and it looks like fun to try out without much risk involved.

One thing I'm struggling with is that there doesn't seem to be much of a local Queensland group - Do people generally trade or give away frags, macroalgae etc? I thought I'd see more of it or maybe I just can't find it.

Of course these are just words and I'm sure I will continue to be surprised by the depth of knowledge in this hobby, but that's part of the fun!
Not sure about your local area but hopeful there is someone on here to help point you. Normally I preach to keep it simple but with your background, I can understand the interest in going techy. When you do, make a build page so we can follow.

Attachments

• Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230916_145358_0000.png
    20230916_145358_0000.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about your local area but hopeful there is someone on here to help point you. Normally I preach to keep it simple but with your background, I can understand the interest in going techy. When you do, make a build page so we can follow.
Yeah will do! I was even thinking a little YouTube vlog. But I am very much getting ahead of myself here hah.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef!
I have and still am studying phytoplankton and cope pods. I currently culture Phytoplankton and Pods and I am VERY interested in info you have on automation as of now.
the only really automaton for pods is maybe using a doser to feed. that is connected to the phyto tanks you have. That would eliminate the need to refrigerate the phyto. Automation to add pods to a tank may be a little difficult as the pods may get killed off going thru a doser.
as for automation on phyto, honestly because you have to keep everything you use for phyto VERY sterilized, it might be harder. maybe a auto top off connected to a RODI system that also has a UV connected on the out to take line, that would help BUT, there will be times where you will need to empty and clean the tanks the phyto is in. Being clean as possible if the key to good phyto growth. I have learned that the hard way.
Also with phyto, you need to add a 2 part F2 Fertilizer when you split or add RODI water, and occasionally as the phyto uses the fertilizer up. that MIGHT be a little easier but you would have to do a bit of math to get the right dosage at the right time.
Dosing phyto to a tank would not be hard thou if you dose directly from the culture tank.

That s just my thoughts on it. Being a programmer, have you looked at the apex system?

Welcome!!!

f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and still am studying phytoplankton and cope pods. I currently culture Phytoplankton and Pods and I am VERY interested in info you have on automation as of now.
the only really automaton for pods is maybe using a doser to feed. that is connected to the phyto tanks you have. That would eliminate the need to refrigerate the phyto. Automation to add pods to a tank may be a little difficult as the pods may get killed off going thru a doser.
So for a start be aware as I'm not even in the hobby proper yet I'm sure I'm ignorant of many things so take my "knowledge" with that seasalt. Re the doser pod crushing torture device - Indeed I read about that issue. I'd be curious if it actually happens, though I'm led to believe it for now.
My current thoughts are this: I probably wouldn't want to drip dose into the tank anyway. Much like in the ocean this food source would come through in patches as the tide and weather conditions change. So I would probably design a system that n times a day would:
1. Turn off the return pumps - We don't want our boys getting filtered straight out.
2. Kick in a pump to flood in a 200?ml dose of the pods andor phyto into the tank in one hit.
3. Have the wave makers/fans go into a higher gear to push things around.
4. Return to normal operation 20-30 mins later.

as for automation on phyto, honestly because you have to keep everything you use for phyto VERY sterilized, it might be harder. maybe a auto top off connected to a RODI system that also has a UV connected on the out to take line, that would help BUT, there will be times where you will need to empty and clean the tanks the phyto is in. Being clean as possible if the key to good phyto growth. I have learned that the hard way.
I've heard a lot about the sterilization required, but I feel I need to test this myself as it doesn't sound right to me. The real ocean isn't sterile. I get the feeling there is another solution here. For example, I've read that some have had success just using plain old tap water no treatment. Which makes we wonder if a little chlorine or similar might be a net beneficial rather than trying to go ultra sterile, which probably just makes it all the easier for the phyto to crash when something does get in.
This is all theory and conjecture though. I need to test and read more into it.

Also with phyto, you need to add a 2 part F2 Fertilizer when you split or add RODI water, and occasionally as the phyto uses the fertilizer up. that MIGHT be a little easier but you would have to do a bit of math to get the right dosage at the right time.
Dosing phyto to a tank would not be hard thou if you dose directly from the culture tank.
Sorta linked to the above - Looking at the F2 recipe a fair bit of it is replicating ocean conditions. My mind drifts to why tank water can't be used (bacteria crashing the phyto I bet). I haven't spent enough time really diving into the details here yet. But yeah indeed dosing F2 is automatable as you say.

That s just my thoughts on it. Being a programmer, have you looked at the apex system?
Great thoughts too! Like I said I'm early days so I'm sure I'm missing a lot and its cool to hear others are looking into this stuff too.
Re Apex - Indeed I've only seen just about every video of a reef tank using it haha. Tbh I haven't looked at it in detail yet. I would be happy to use systems like that if they give out API access to their hardware, etc. I don't know if they do.

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef 2 reef! I look forward to following your research on this topic as its very interesting. When you start do a build thread as we will all be interested and if you do a YouTube I will definitely be watching!
Good luck buddy!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back