OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens when you leave a plug of nuclear death palys in the back and forget about them
1698366416621.jpeg

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank - a lot of work and love in it and you can tell.

What is your fish stocking list you have in there now?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank - a lot of work and love in it and you can tell.

What is your fish stocking list you have in there now?
Thanks!

Currently:
Pair of occelaris clowns
Tailspot blenny
Exquisite firefish
Blue star leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitis)
Yellow pig wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
Yasha shrimp goby

Pending:
Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus)
Pink streak wrasse (Psuedocheilinops ataenia)

Inverts:
Spotted anemone crab
Blue porcelain crab
Sexy shrimp
Pitho crab

>50 corals/nems

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fans on your lights? What are they and do you see a big difference in cooling the tank down? How do you have them connected to your inkbird since there are 3 of them - (multi-plug)?

Are you happy with the light spread or have you thought about a light diffuser for your minis?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fans on your lights? What are they and do you see a big difference in cooling the tank down? How do you have them connected to your inkbird since there are 3 of them - (multi-plug)?

Are you happy with the light spread or have you thought about a light diffuser for your minis?
Fans are 2x really good USB fans that have unfortunately been discontinued. Third is best alternative I could find. I have them strapped to the flex arm with zip ties. Elegance is my forte.

They are connected to the inkbird with a USB splitter.

I like the 3 minis. Don't feel they need a diffuser like my AI Prime did. Probably a matter of personal preference. I love the lights. Corals seem to love them too.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my orange RFA showed up. Was sure it had melted about a month ago when it buried itself in the sand and then the pistol made a mountain on top of it. Not looking great, but it moved onto the rocks! (center balled up RFA, not the big open beautiful RFA above it):
1698693550851.jpeg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to figure out this issue with my birdsnest RTNing:
1698814603974.png

Today ALK was around 6.5 and NO3 was somewhere between 0 and 1ppm, just visible on Salifert. Not really sure if there's coral warfare or not.

I dumped freeze dried calanus and freeze dried mysis in the tank for the first time today in addition to the Reef Nutrition dosing/TDO pellets--maybe that'll help with the low NO3.

Other than that, I also decided to start weekly dosing AF Life Source:
1698814739563.png

Now, I've ready plenty about AF Life Source having a problem with metal "filings", which are probably not filings at all but may be something else magnetic. In any case, no problem for me. See what's under the tupper? That's the @cromag27 OctoAquatics acclimation box magnet. Strongest @#$% magnet I've ever had. I think it's stronger than the Maxspect gyre magnets. I just put that below the tupper, mixed the AF Life Source, and then sucked up the supernatant to pipette it into the tank:

Everyone in the tank was a bit freaked out, but no one lost their minds. I also didn't put a full dose into the thank and don't think it's necessary. We'll see if it helps out the SPS, especially the birdsnest.

And yes, there are magnetic things in the AF Life Source:
1698815005516.png

But with that magnet, I'm fairly confident none of it got into the tank. Thanks again OctoAquatics!

And here's the tank. Not too cloudy.
1698815203583.png

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news on the birdsnest front. Going to have to frag it today. On the plus side, more room!
1698954445607.jpeg

Need to get that second gyre fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if this is due to the stylo blocking flow.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news on the birdsnest front. Going to have to frag it today. On the plus side, more room!
1698954445607.jpeg

Need to get that second gyre fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if this is due to the stylo blocking flow.
i recently lost all but a little bit of all 4 kinds of birdsnest i have and some of my stylo. near as i can tell they grew to large and compact and it inhibited flow to the areas inside and the rtn just ate them alive. i do have frags of all types and a 2 types i have small colonies of so im not worried... gives me more room for other sticks :)

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the fish is so funny sometimes. Just watched the leopard gulp a piece of calanus, then spit it right out into the face of the female clown who opened her mouth and caught the spit calanus.

I wonder about their nonverbal communication. For a while now, Fuego the firefish has been staying in his cave far away from the clowns. The female clown occasionally darts toward him. However, recently he's coming out more and the clowns remain calm. Yesterday, the female clown swam up to him--uh oh. He stayed still, and she nuzzled the side of his body with her mouth, then swam away. He didn't seem bothered. I wonder how he knew she was coming over in a friendly way.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 178 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back