JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you like that doser?
Which doser would you choose?
How would you use head 2 in a 4 unit doser to flush food?

This was something I thought about doing for phytoplankton when I first started my tank, but even with keeping the phytoplankton in a fridge I figured I need a doser that was able to reverse the flow, clearing the line.

But the idea of using one head to flush the line may work.
Also, I'm using a regular T barb because it's just one tube of food going in and getting flushed. For two or more tubes you can get a 4, 5 or more prong barb to connect more lines.

Last edited:

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a T barb to connect the three food lines from inside the fridge.

Example, head 3 pumps 5mL food past the T barb, then head 4 pumps 3mL food past the T barb, then Head 2 pumps 15mL RODI past the T barb which pushes all of the food into the tank and flushes the line.

There is no back flushing needed. The line outside the tank syays relatively clean. I am sure there is some residual still in the line after pumping 15mL RODI, but with hiw frequently it goes (4x/day in my tank), whatever is there gets flushed again in short order. You can also increase the volume of RODI flush.

Works well. I've not seen any growth or buildup in the food lines.

For dosers I bought a Simplicity doser to swap out the current one because I just want something that works and can be adjusted without worrying about connectivity... But I've been lazy about changing out the silicone seals to swap power cords/tubes/etc.

I'd also consider the Red Sea doser or a pair of DOS if I had the $$$$.
I was looking at the Red Sea doser and yeah I don’t have that kind of money either
GHL dosers are supposed to be good…I know people were having issues getting them a while back…but also not cheap

I currently have a kamoer single unit that does my alk. I like it and no issues with connectivity and stuff….and not gonna kill my wallet lol

Not sure why I didn’t think about just using rodi to flush the lines…but this was 4 years ago and I was still sorting things out…didn’t dig to hard to figure out how.

With the new tank I’m getting and now that I’m back in the saddle again …… and I’m forgetful about my phyto….i think I may do this now.

I may even consider dosing other foods and stuff because who doesn’t like not having to remember to do things!

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm using a reguyT barb because it's just one tube of food going in and getting flushed. For two or more tubes you can get a 4, 5 or more prong barb to connect more lines.
Did you calibrate the dosers with the t barb? Does it reduce the output any?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you calibrate the dosers with the t barb? Does it reduce the output any?
For the All For Reef I calibrate. For the other heads I could care less. Doesn't make a difference if the doser drifts even a full mL. I just adjust the dose till I see enough coming out. It currently says it's dosing 7mL at a time, but I'm sure it's more like 4-5mL. It's a pain to calibrate with food, although might be a good idea to flush all of the food/rodi lines with H2O2 and then recalibrate as part of a routine maintenance.

Routine maintenance, HA!!

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Nutrition liquid foods. Originally mixing Mysis Feast, ROE, ArctiPods, PacPods, OysterFeast and PhytoFeast. MysisFeast was clogging the tubes, so stopped using that. ArctiPods weren't favorites in the tank so dropped that and upped ROE. Now I dose PacPods manually every now and then and the doser pump a mixture of 30mL ROE + 5mL OysterFeast + 5mL PhytoFeast, which lasts about 4 days of dosing.

Doser is a Reef Factory x3. Wish I had gone with another brand and a 4 head. If I had a 4 head, I would run:

Head 1: All-For-Reef (independent tube)
Head 2: RODI for flushing food
Head 3: ROE
Head 4: OysterFeast+ PhytoFeast
Having you explain it this way made it seem far less complicated than trying to decode the picture!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having you explain it this way made it seem far less complicated than trying to decode the picture!
I should not that the order of RODI flush and food on the heads doesn't matter, as long as the heads are scheduled in the correct order. It all feeds to the barb and then to the main tube out to the tank.

At this stage it is getting expensive. I go through a lot of ROE. I'm looking forward to getting a plank one day and balancing out the dry and wet foods.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should not that the order of RODI flush and food on the heads doesn't matter, as long as the heads are scheduled in the correct order. It all feeds to the barb and then to the main tube out to the tank.

At this stage it is getting expensive. I go through a lot of ROE. I'm looking forward to getting a plank one day and balancing out the dry and wet foods.
I think I will run a plank eventually also!

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok I’m probably just not awake enought

But a plank?
1712227289709.jpeg

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m probably just not awake enought

But a plank?
1712227289709.jpeg
It is an auto feeder by Avast Marine

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the office after 5 days. No super disasters, although the AFR ran out, so I probably have some ALK correction to do.

Monti cap started plating outwards finally, and blenny has himself a new perch!
1712259761774.jpeg

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an auto feeder by Avast Marine

I like my plank better lol

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That would have been the winning entry. I guess that means you get to win.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back