Jonas' Red Sea Reefer 525XL

jdTrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing community!

Picked up a Red Sea Reefer 525XL. Looking forward to getting it up and running!

40120586911_707a5ca4da_k.jpg

As I'm setting up my 525XL, I started a mini tank for my kids that we will use as a quarantine. It sits right outside their room upstairs. They know new fishes and coral will arrive into their apartment and move into the mansion downstairs after a few weeks each time. Harry (my 1.5 year old) frequently grabs his step stool, points, and yells FISHEEES!

Looking forward to posting more on the progress!

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see what you do with the tank! A lot of these Red Sea 525's popping up lately! Check out my build as well!

OP
OP
J

jdTrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes PlanB! It has been a busy last few months, however I have made some progress. Below is a sneak peek to the plumbing. Nothing is screwed or drilled directly into stand. Cut up some wood, painted it black, and attached the reactors and super massive and heavy 50watt smart UV to it. I still have lots of plumbing to do and things to add. It's only about half done.

IMG_1824.JPG

In the meantime, here is another update on the quarantine tank. Fish and coral were small when I got them. They are growing fast. It's motivating me to get the 525 finished up...

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes PlanB! It has been a busy last few months, however I have made some progress. Below is a sneak peek to the plumbing. Nothing is screwed or drilled directly into stand. Cut up some wood, painted it black, and attached the reactors and super massive and heavy 50watt smart UV to it. I still have lots of plumbing to do and things to add. It's only about half done.

IMG_1824.JPG

In the meantime, here is another update on the quarantine tank. Fish and coral were small when I got them. They are growing fast. It's motivating me to get the 525 finished up...

525XL looks nice!!! Looking forward to setting up mine. Arriving tomorrow (April 25). Any tips/tricks on setting it up?

OP
OP
J

jdTrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
525XL looks nice!!! Looking forward to setting up mine. Arriving tomorrow (April 25). Any tips/tricks on setting it up?

Thanks! Nothing really comes to mind other than if you got the white one, make sure you use the white foot board that faces the front of the tank instead of the black. For some odd reason Red Sea includes both the black and the white for the white tanks and no mention about it in the instructions. Sounds pretty obvious, but not really when you are just following the steps. Other than that the tank is amazing. Love the quality and how it looks. You'll love it.

I needed to buy 2 more elbows from BRS. Should be here within a few days. Looking forward to working more the plumbing myself. :)

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Nothing really comes to mind other than if you got the white one, make sure you use the white foot board that faces the front of the tank instead of the black. For some odd reason Red Sea includes both the black and the white for the white tanks and no mention about it in the instructions. Sounds pretty obvious, but not really when you are just following the steps. Other than that the tank is amazing. Love the quality and how it looks. You'll love it.

I needed to buy 2 more elbows from BRS. Should be here within a few days. Looking forward to working more the plumbing myself. :)
I ordered the black one.. getting the basement floor refinished so will have to wait until next week to start setting it up.. I ahte waiting!!! then move everything over from my Marineland 120..

OP
OP
J

jdTrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the black one.. getting the basement floor refinished so will have to wait until next week to start setting it up.. I ahte waiting!!! then move everything over from my Marineland 120..

Very nice! Make sure to post some pics or videos of your build as well. Looking forward to seeing yours develop!

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Do you have any videos yet?

Thank you! I will do one once I get rid of my Dino issues. 10 years in this hobby and this is the first time I have had it. Very stubborn algae man!! Will be putting my progress on YouTube using Dino X as I proceed. First dose was last night

OP
OP
J

jdTrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will do one once I get rid of my Dino issues. 10 years in this hobby and this is the first time I have had it. Very stubborn algae man!! Will be putting my progress on YouTube using Dino X as I proceed. First dose was last night

So many people are or recently battled through Dino it's crazy! Post a picture of what yours looks like.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back