OP
OP
J

jdTrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, it doesn't look like Dinos at all to me. I would expect snot type like stuff on the sandbed and/or very stringy with bubble at the top of them.

If this is a fairly new bank, even with a carry over of livestock I bet you are just going through a diatom stage.

If you know for sure you have Dinos, what worked well for one friend is Dino-X with Tim's Waste Away. For someone else, they finally got rid of Dinos with the following:
1 - Added Fritz 460 bacteria
2 - Bubble scrub with a Toms Aqua Lifter pump and wooden airstone for 3 hours a night
3 - Added a UV Sterilizer with really low flow.

A common thing I see is introducing another competing bacteria, although like I mentioned I don't think you have Dinos. Even if you did, it's super mild and I'd just have it run it's coarse unless it got worse.

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, it doesn't look like Dinos at all to me. I would expect snot type like stuff on the sandbed and/or very stringy with bubble at the top of them.

If this is a fairly new bank, even with a carry over of livestock I bet you are just going through a diatom stage.

If you know for sure you have Dinos, what worked well for one friend is Dino-X with Tim's Waste Away. For someone else, they finally got rid of Dinos with the following:
1 - Added Fritz 460 bacteria
2 - Bubble scrub with a Toms Aqua Lifter pump and wooden airstone for 3 hours a night
3 - Added a UV Sterilizer with really low flow.

A common thing I see is introducing another competing bacteria, although like I mentioned I don't think you have Dinos. Even if you did, it's super mild and I'd just have it run it's coarse unless it got worse.

Thanks you for the help!!! In know when I had my previous tank (Marineland 120) it was the snot like stringy stuff with air bubbles on it. Once i transferred everything over it was ok then it showed signs again. I did a 10% water change in the morning and then by the end of the day I saw small stringy stuff and the little air bubbles. that's when I went lights out for a few days.

I'm going to keep an eye out and see what transpires. I have the lights on all blues for now and see how that goes as well. I haven't set up my air-stone since I switched tanks but I think I willmget it going on the weekend.

Thanks again for the help.

Question for you.. which skimmer are you using? And do you have an Apex running?

OP
OP
J

jdTrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for the help!!! In know when I had my previous tank (Marineland 120) it was the snot like stringy stuff with air bubbles on it. Once i transferred everything over it was ok then it showed signs again. I did a 10% water change in the morning and then by the end of the day I saw small stringy stuff and the little air bubbles. that's when I went lights out for a few days.

I'm going to keep an eye out and see what transpires. I have the lights on all blues for now and see how that goes as well. I haven't set up my air-stone since I switched tanks but I think I willmget it going on the weekend.

Thanks again for the help.

Question for you.. which skimmer are you using? And do you have an Apex running?

A lot of people say when you have Dinos doing a water change makes things worse and most recommend against it.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-200sss-space-saving-protein-skimmer-reef-octopus.html

I can't decide if I want the apex yet. For now I'm enjoying being really hands on with my tank.

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people say when you have Dinos doing a water change makes things worse and most recommend against it.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-200sss-space-saving-protein-skimmer-reef-octopus.html

I can't decide if I want the apex yet. For now I'm enjoying being really hands on with my tank.

yes I read the same.. I wasn't convinced o the dinos until i did the water change and saw what i did.
On the apex front I am still hands on but it's nice to have some readings at your finger tips. Pushing 1 button to turn off your pumps, feed and then have everything start up automatically is nice though.

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rearranged the rock in the tank today.. looking a little better
Tank June 10 2018.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back