JORO's 336G Dream Reef

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening R2R, my name is Joel and I'm a reef addict :eek:

My family and I have been keeping reefs for years (though there was a few years between tanks) and we're proud owners of two reef tanks currently including a standard 90G and a Reefer 170, the latter of which we documented here on R2R. For the longest time, I'm dreamed of owning a massive reef system and have never had the time, budget, or frankly space to make it happen. A few months ago a causal conversation with my lovely wife turned into the blueprint for creating this dream tank in our house. Yesterday we plopped down untold amounts of (presumably) fresh Benjamin's o_O for deposits on our custom tank and I can now officially say, the build has begun! :cool:

To give you a little background on how we got here:
  • We didn't want yet "another" tank, so we wanted a tank that was big enough to allow for us to consolidate our existing tanks into it and also give us the room to grow substantially - both in terms of corals (which my wife loves) and fish (which I love).
  • I have been a big fan of peninsula style tanks both in terms of aesthetics and function. I also love the rimless design - thanks Red Sea - but quickly realized there were limitations to this style even in the custom designed arena which I discussed briefly on this thread.
  • As much as I love our tanks and inhabitants, I hated the maintenance particularly water changes. So in the new tank I wanted as much automation as possible and, of course, never wanted to haul another 5G bucket up what in some cases was multiple sets of stairs.
Fast forward a few weeks/months and after getting quotes from three different custom tank manufacturers, we ultimately decided on Miracle's Aquariums based in Ontario based on price, lead time, and responsiveness throughout the process. So without further adieu, let's talk about the tank/setup:
  • The tank is going to be a peninsula style, 72" long x 30" wide x 36" deep all glass aquarium with starphire (low-iron) glass on the 3 viewing sides bring us to approximately 336 gallons in the DT.
  • The tank will be placed on our second floor and all plumbing will run down to a basement sump designed / manufactured by Synergy Reef. For those wondering, we chose their SS-48 model which is not listed on their website but is the same design as what was used for the @Bulk Reef Supply 160 (which is a great series if you haven't checked it out)
There's a lot of exciting work to do in the next approximately ~10 weeks it will take to build / receive the tank including structural engineering, selection of equipment, and preparing the two existing tanks for transfer. As I did with the Reefer 170 build, I want to document this journey, share my experiences, and hopefully gain even more from the wealth of resources / experiences that we have here on R2R.

To start this off right, here's a few pics of what we've done in the past few days including a picture of the ultimate location (it's going to be a room divider between our front door and dining room), a picture of my son helping paint the stand which will house the water mixing station currently under construction, and my son also "vanna white-ing" the first shipment which was primarily supplies for the mixing station!

Looking forward to sharing the journey with my fellow reefers! :cool:

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First shipment(s) received today and geez, the UPS guy must have been cussing at me as he unloaded every box! My first project is building a water mixing station for easy and/or automated water changes (no more lugging buckets! :D). I got a great deal on two 65g water tanks from Blain's Farm & Fleet with free shipping! As you can see in the first post, I'm building a platform for these and it will be installed shortly once I have a chance to re-arrange some existing storage racks we have in this unfinished area. You never realize how small a room is until you start planning for a huge water mixing station and a sump!

On one final note, the skimmer box is HUUGGGEEE :eek: Bring on the skimmate!

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking so far. Where did u buy the water tanks. I have searched high and low in Ohio this week, nothing. Sad as well you will find a website and there price is $98 for a 75gal vertical tank but after shipping you are at $229, crazy.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking so far. Where did u buy the water tanks. I have searched high and low in Ohio this week, nothing. Sad as well you will find a website and there price is $98 for a 75gal vertical tank but after shipping you are at $229, crazy.

I got the tanks from Blain's Farm & Fleet (link here) for $125 with free shipping! They only took about 2-3 days to get here as well, so pretty quick given their size.

On a sort of unrelated note, I finally got the tanks setup and the first part of plumbing done. I started filling the RO tank up (it has a nice ball valve to keep it from effecting the other plumbing I was doing and sure enough, it started to leak but at the bulkhead on the water container. I tried tightening it about 2 more turns but still had a very slow drip, drip leak. The bulkhead on the water tank is a threaded female, so I used a Schedule 80 threaded male. From what I understand, you're not supposed to use pipe tape or pipe dope on PVC to PVC threads but any suggestions? I'm draining it right now so I can inspect the threads directly as well. :mad:

IMG_0814.JPG

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've e gotten everything drained and dis-assembled, the good news is that I don't see any issues with the threads on either side, both are clean. Seems like it just needs a little more something to seal it. Thoughts / suggestions?

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure you have to use tape or thread sealant on NPT threads. If you don't use it on PVC I know the threads stick hard. I did some mock plumbing once and the threads were nearly impossible to break loose.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information, I just ordered two tanks, thanks a million.

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! I may have missed it, but what kind of pump are you using for your water station?

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! I may have missed it, but what kind of pump are you using for your water station?

You didn't miss it, I haven't really started posting the gear yet but have most of it already patiently waiting in boxes ;) For the mixing station, I went with the Reef Octopus VarioS-2 Controllable DC Pump (rated for up to 792 GPH). A DC pump for a mixing station may be a little overkill but I'll tell you in just the past few days since I got it installed, I've used different speeds for different activities such as mixing salt, pumping water into buckets, etc, so it may be worth the extra expense.

Pole04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea. I am still planning on building an outdoor mixing station. I might have to look into DC pumps when I get around to it.

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I am almost complete with my 300 gallon build. No more lugging buckets...going to be awesome. How is the floor going to support that weight? You have got to be upwards of 4500 lbs.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I am almost complete with my 300 gallon build. No more lugging buckets...going to be awesome. How is the floor going to support that weight? You have got to be upwards of 4500 lbs.

That's a pretty good estimate and of course will need some extra support(s). I don't know if I mentioned this before but there were pros and cons to the placement:
  • Pros: one side sits directly on top of joists on top of the foundation, we have 2x10 joists which have a span about 2-3 feet under the maximum limit, and the area directly underneath it is unfinished
  • Cons: we're running parallel to floor joists rather than perpendicular which is the recommended option if possible.
We did have a professional structural engineer come out this past Friday and write a formal report/recommendation. The net of which was that we need 2 steel posts + steel plates underneath them to disperse the load based on the proposed location and current support structure. All things considered, spending the extra money to make sure it's (a) possible and (b) done right was worth it's weight in gold to both the Mrs. and I ;)

100% agreed on the buckets, I had to do water changes in both tanks yesterday and lugging buckets up/down stairs was no fun nor has it ever been. Can't wait for this to be done - I might have a bucket burning in the backyard haha :D

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really went the extra mile getting a structural engineer to come by. With tanks this big, there is no reason to cheap out now. I went pretty much top shelf with everything in my tank. I would rather spend the extra money now and set it up right than have to change things later on.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really went the extra mile getting a structural engineer to come by. With tanks this big, there is no reason to cheap out now. I went pretty much top shelf with everything in my tank. I would rather spend the extra money now and set it up right than have to change things later on.

100% agree, always better to be safe than sorry. Plus, I'd much rather enjoy the tank in it's intended location for many years to come, I just don't think it would look as good halfway between floors :p I'd be interested to check out your build as well - we are going pretty high end as well - and may be able to swap some ideas/experiences since you're further along. Did you do a build thread here on R2R?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back