OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick preview of the control panel and RODI block!m as well as a view of the underside of he floor. Essentially if you see the vent to the left (with the u loop around the joist) that will be removed and the hole for the vent sits perfectly centered in the area where the tank will be. We'll use this vent opening to run the plumbing.

IMG_0844.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First shipment(s) received today and geez, the UPS guy must have been cussing at me as he unloaded every box! My first project is building a water mixing station for easy and/or automated water changes (no more lugging buckets! :D). I got a great deal on two 65g water tanks from Blain's Farm & Fleet with free shipping! As you can see in the first post, I'm building a platform for these and it will be installed shortly once I have a chance to re-arrange some existing storage racks we have in this unfinished area. You never realize how small a room is until you start planning for a huge water mixing station and a sump!

On one final note, the skimmer box is HUUGGGEEE :eek: Bring on the skimmate!

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG
So many nice toys there!! Following along!

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from a business trip to Montreal this week and was glad to be greeted by more gear for the tank! :D With the exception of the lighting and some odds/ends (e.g. a GFO/Carbon reactor), I think I have basically everything at my house currently. This weekend, I'm going to start working on getting some of the various things mounted to the control panels I previewed previously!

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to call it quits for today but made some pretty good progress which I can share! I got the RODI unit moved into it's new location, a third DI canister and three-point TDS meter installed, and everything re-plumbed (without leaks!) I also used the opportunity to put fresh DI resin in the existing two canisters to ensure all the new water is 0's across the board. On the control panel front, I got the cord raceways installed and drilled a few holes for larger (e.g. power plugs) fittings underneath the Apex unit. I still need to clean up a few wires hanging down and the RO lines but pretty much in a holding pattern - on the control panel - now until the sump arrives.

The wife and I also paid a visit to one of our LFS, Capital Aquarium, and picked up a few cool pieces for the new tank. We've put these in our Reefer 170 for now but I suspect it's going to quickly become a holding tank for all things coral given it's better light compared to our 90 Gallon. For those interested - we picked up a Crown Leather (which also had another smaller leather and sponges attached to it), a mixed zoa rock, and a hammer. It's good seeing some more progression in the right direction! :D

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved getting new equipment. It was like Christmas every other day. Although when you think you have everything, there is always something else. What size pump are you using to go upstairs?

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved getting new equipment. It was like Christmas every other day. Although when you think you have everything, there is always something else. What size pump are you using to go upstairs?

I'm going to give the Vectra L1 (3100 GPH) a try since I love the M1 on my Reefer. I am concerned about the head loss but we'll see what happens, it may get replaced if it can't put out respectable flow at this height shortly after being installed. What did you go with?

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to give the Vectra L1 (3100 GPH) a try since I love the M1 on my Reefer. I am concerned about the head loss but we'll see what happens, it may get replaced if it can't put out respectable flow at this height shortly after being installed. What did you go with?
I initially went with (1) L1 to feed 4 inputs and (1) M1 pump to feed my equipment closet. I eventually changed my mind and went with (3) M1 pumps. I wanted redundancy built in to my returns in case of a pump failure. Spending an extra $350 was well worth the piece of mind. I even purchased dual temperature controllers and 1000 watt titanium heaters. However, I only have 3.5' of head to deal with. How many return inputs do you have and what is the height? You are going to have to try and use as few elbows as possible.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially went with (1) L1 to feed 4 inputs and (1) M1 pump to feed my equipment closet. I eventually changed my mind and went with (3) M1 pumps. I wanted redundancy built in to my returns in case of a pump failure. Spending an extra $350 was well worth the piece of mind. I even purchased dual temperature controllers and 1000 watt titanium heaters. However, I only have 3.5' of head to deal with. How many return inputs do you have and what is the height? You are going to have to try and use as few elbows as possible.

Height from top of sump to returns will be approximately 9 feet per my calculation but will likely be a little more because the lines aren't going to be able to go straight up, they'll need a horizontal run as well. Two returns inputs are in the current design which feed off the one return line, I'll likely use standard loc-line for the part in the tank. Where did you end purchasing the heaters? 300W is the max I've been able to find on the big sites.

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Height from top of sump to returns will be approximately 9 feet per my calculation but will likely be a little more because the lines aren't going to be able to go straight up, they'll need a horizontal run as well. Two returns inputs are in the current design which feed off the one return line, I'll likely use standard loc-line for the part in the tank. Where did you end purchasing the heaters? 300W is the max I've been able to find on the big sites.
MarineDepot.com...I compared prices and they were in line with everyone else.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word of warning, I like my L1 very much, but I am on my second one, the first one literally melted from the inside out, and I was only running it at about 70%. Ecotech was awesome and overnighted me a replacement, but I guess my point is some redundancy might be a good idea.

The pumps are shockingly strong, very quiet, and the controller is nice. The calibration process could be a bit more intuitive but isn't that bad.

One other suggestion, get their kit that adapts their threads to normal sized PVC, so that you can oversize the plumbing coming in and out of the pump, then you can use it to its full potential (I wouldnt use the included little screw on fittings that reduce the plumbing size in and out of the pump).

On the heater front, especially with a big tank, depending on how well insulated the tank/sump location is, you might want one BIG heater, and one small one. Like a 800W and a 300W. Then you can have the 300W turn on frequently for the little temp adjustments, and then the big 800 or 1000W heater only kicks in if the tank continues cooling and the 300W cant keep up. It will save you money in the long run not running a 1000W heater for every temp adjustment.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word of warning, I like my L1 very much, but I am on my second one, the first one literally melted from the inside out, and I was only running it at about 70%. Ecotech was awesome and overnighted me a replacement, but I guess my point is some redundancy might be a good idea.

The pumps are shockingly strong, very quiet, and the controller is nice. The calibration process could be a bit more intuitive but isn't that bad.

One other suggestion, get their kit that adapts their threads to normal sized PVC, so that you can oversize the plumbing coming in and out of the pump, then you can use it to its full potential (I wouldnt use the included little screw on fittings that reduce the plumbing size in and out of the pump).

On the heater front, especially with a big tank, depending on how well insulated the tank/sump location is, you might want one BIG heater, and one small one. Like a 800W and a 300W. Then you can have the 300W turn on frequently for the little temp adjustments, and then the big 800 or 1000W heater only kicks in if the tank continues cooling and the 300W cant keep up. It will save you money in the long run not running a 1000W heater for every temp adjustment.

Thanks for the info and I'm currently running the M1 on one of my tanks and very happy with it overall. In regard to the heaters, agreed, I always run 2 that are unpowered for redundancy so even if one fails on, it can't nuke the entire tank.

On another note, I have rocks on the way and wow 224 pounds, can't imagine the shipping bill on this :eek:

rocks.png

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are in and man, are these things beautiful and powerful! I have cheaper LEDs on my 90G and the AI Hydra 52HD on my Reefer and wow, these are going to be an insane upgrade to both. I also got in the rocks - all 200 pounds of it :eek: - and miscellaneous items such as Breakout Boxes, Heaters, and a Coral Viewer.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what to do next with the rocks. I went with dry Marco's Rocks and I was thinking about "cycling" the rocks using the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit in two heated trashcans with no lights. My thought is these rocks would basically cycle over the next 6-8 weeks so by the time the tank is ready and full, it will basically be live rock. Thoughts or recommendations on this approach?

IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0884.JPG

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking forward to this build :)
You and me both, haha :D It's fun getting all the toys but then most of them are sitting in the corner waiting for their new home (either the sump or tank which is in production). Oh well, guess it's a good time to finish mounting everything and reinforcing the floor or something like that! :p

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and me both, haha :D It's fun getting all the toys but then most of them are sitting in the corner waiting for their new home (either the sump or tank which is in production). Oh well, guess it's a good time to finish mounting everything and reinforcing the floor or something like that! :p

Don't feel bad all my gear is in a corner as well lol :p I stop in at that corner and check on it from time to time..

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are in and man, are these things beautiful and powerful! I have cheaper LEDs on my 90G and the AI Hydra 52HD on my Reefer and wow, these are going to be an insane upgrade to both. I also got in the rocks - all 200 pounds of it :eek: - and miscellaneous items such as Breakout Boxes, Heaters, and a Coral Viewer.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what to do next with the rocks. I went with dry Marco's Rocks and I was thinking about "cycling" the rocks using the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit in two heated trashcans with no lights. My thought is these rocks would basically cycle over the next 6-8 weeks so by the time the tank is ready and full, it will basically be live rock. Thoughts or recommendations on this approach?

IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0884.JPG
I did the same thing. I did not want to use any of the live rock from my current tank which has pulsing xenia and those frigging mojo anemones, or whatever those freaking things are called. Both are near impossible to eradicate. I put my rock in two separate containers for 7 weeks while my tank was being made. You will need a heater and something to circulate the water in each. I did a water change in them once a week as I was putting in some filter socks from my current tank and a little skinmate from my skimmer. My new tank has been up and running for almost 3 weeks and I have had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. I put in some fish food to jump start a cycle and some old filter socks in my new tank sump for 2 weeks and did a water change and put 40 gallons from my old tank into my new tank. I have small diatom bloom on my sand bed and a little on my rocks but nothing bad. I even added 2 fish, a shrimp, some snails and some hermit crabs. I hope this is a good sign that I cycled my rocks for those 7 weeks and my new setup is good. With a pretty large Naso and a small rhomboid, if I do not get any ammonia and nitrite in the next week I figure i have got to be good.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sorted out the rocks today (I purchased about 150 lbs of "standard" and 50 lbs of "prime cut" which is basically rock with the bottom sawed off so it sits flush) and must say I'm pretty impressed with the assortment. This is the second time I've order from Marco's Rocks and they definitely delivered the type of pieces I requested. I'm going to load these up in the trash can for tomorrow to begin the cycle!

IMG_0899.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back