jsbzcmcdaniel - Waterbox 130 Build

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of gathering all the equipment for my new reef tank build. My tank was ordered last week so it will be a few more weeks before its in and ready to build. Below is the list of equipment purchased or in the process.

* Waterbox 130 Reef Plus - Ordered

* Waterbox Sump - Ordered

* AI Hydra TwentySix HD x 2 - Ordered

* Nyos Quantum 160 Skimmer - Received

* Vectra S1 DC Return Pump - Received

* VorTech MP40wQD x 2 - Ordered

* GEO 415 Media Reactor x 2 - Ordered

Coralbox Dosing Pump - Ordered - I was originally going to run a calcium reactor as I did in the past but decided to dose 3 part this build

* Neptun Systems Apex Controller with WIFI - Ordered

* Spectra Pure 4 -STAGE 180GPD Deluxe RODI - Ordered

* 150lbs Macro Rock - Ordered

* 120lbs Tropic Eden Mini Reef Flakes - Received

So far that's what I have. I have been out of the hobby for about 10yrs so its a learning curve all over again with equipment. If you have any suggestions or comments on my list or things I missed feel free to chime in. I am really excited to be back and I am taking my time to do it right with good equipment and setup.

I am also new to Reef2Reef but was a very active member on another forum. I am excited to find this forum as it seems its more active. I moved from Chicago to North Dallas in 2015 so I havent ventured into any LFS in the area. I know Chicago was very strong with LFS so I hope to find a local LFS I can pickup some livestock when the time comes.

I will keep this thread open and update my build as equipment comes in and I begin the build.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an excellent plan. Looking forward to it. Welcome to R2R!

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, and you probably thought of this, I would recommend running an auto top off (ATO). Very easy convienient way to keep salinity stable.

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, and you probably thought of this, I would recommend running an auto top off (ATO). Very easy convienient way to keep salinity stable.
I haven't actually - I never did before but its a great idea. I was always concerned it would malfunction and cause a flood. I will need to look into it for sure. Any suggestions? Also something that will work with the APEX?

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox 130.4 arrived today! The entire tank was packaged very well and crated. The tank was shrink wrapped and foam blocks lined the inside to keep the sump from contacting the glass. This thing is an absolute piece of art! Beautiful thick glass beveled on the edges and etched Waterbox logo on the corner. The glass overflow has perfect clean cuts and the black glass top fits like a glove. The sump is just as beautiful as the tank itself. I am thrilled to start this build with an amazing tank. I won't be setting it up until after the first of the year but I will be assembling the cabinet so I can start prepping the equipment. Overall I am very happy with the appearance of the entire system.

The cabinet box was a little damaged and it looks like a possible fork penetrated the box and slightly damaged the corner however I do not know where this piece goes so it may be a non issue. I did note the damage on the shipping BOL as well as contacted Waterbox. I spoke with Dean and he assured me if there was any damage to just give them a call and they would make it right. This is one the reasons I chose Waterbox over some of the other tank builders was their customer service and they always pickup the phone and are there to answer any questions.

12-3-2018 4-32-55 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-33-42 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-34-14 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-34-41 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-34-55 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-35-07 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-35-19 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-35-30 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-35-45 PM.jpg

12-3-2018 4-35-57 PM.jpg

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't actually - I never did before but its a great idea. I was always concerned it would malfunction and cause a flood. I will need to look into it for sure. Any suggestions? Also something that will work with the APEX?

I do not have an APEX system. I use the Tunze 3155 which I really like. It has a primary optical sensor, a back up float switch and a time out function. Triple redundancy to prevent floods.

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little more prep work today. Assembled the stand and wood accent wall where the tank will be setup. I think the accent wall will be a nice touch when the tank is up and running.

12-5-2018 5-40-11 PM.jpg

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael - Yeah I am a slacker when it comes to updating the build thread. 150lbs was a good amount but ended up with some extra. I used the extra for my wifes WB60 build. I need to get some photos of where things are now. I have built and started over a couple weeks ago. Long story short, I changed from a sand bottom to the BRS/WWC hybrid bare bottom. I added two additional MP40's for a total of 4 plus changed my lights from Hydra26 HD's to a Sunpower 8x54w T5 fixture with two SBReef LED actinic Sbars. I am also struggling to keep my PO4 & NO3 in an optimal range so I started dosing Brightwell NeoNitro & NeoPhos to raise them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back