Juan's 300+ Gallon Apartment Tank

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet setup. Very similar to my 300 except I did not build it all from scratch. On the manifold I added an ozone reactor to the number 5 spot. Just running now for 4 months. Can't wait to see you start stocking. Definitely following.

OP
OP
JPSika08

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet setup. Very similar to my 300 except I did not build it all from scratch. On the manifold I added an ozone reactor to the number 5 spot. Just running now for 4 months. Can't wait to see you start stocking. Definitely following.

Thank you very much, nice to have you tag along.
Nice recommendation for the fifth output for the Manifold, I was considering a UV for this section but Ozone can work as well, thank you. :)

hung52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice tank..... I cant wait to see the result omg anwsome tank...your dream came true :)

OP
OP
JPSika08

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the tank ended it's cycle recently, I added one snail today (Yes, you read right, 1 Mexican Turbo Snail, lol) too see how he holds within 24 hours, if no problem, the rest of the CUC will be introduced tomorrow as well.

Here is the first batch of CUC going in:
12 Mexican Turbos
2 Red legged crabs
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Hopefully I will add more snails and a couple of green emerald crabs when the LFS re-supplies with these.

Today I received some pending equipment:

BRS Deluxe Reactor with ROX 8.0 Carbon Media:

BRS Jumbo Reactor for BRS GFO:

Eheim Aquarium Vaccum (Hope it works well, read lots of positive reviews):

And Biopellets for my Reef Octopus Bio Pellet Reactor:

Next step is to put all this together as well as my GHL Doser to begin supplying water with Calcium, Alk and Mg.

OP
OP
JPSika08

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I received my three tanks for QT'ing.

1 - 25Gallon Cube
2 - 9 Gallon tanks

I will go with Tank Transfer Method for fishes, I will be using both smaller aquariums during this procedure, once I finish the 12 days of this method, the fish will go into the 25 gallon QT for treating them with Pazipro and maybe Methylene blue (Need to read more about this) or whatever is needed in order to keep them in good health.

I intend to get all my stock from Sea Dwellers, I have heard that these guys treat all livestock prior to shipping them and usually are parasite free, including Crypto, but don't want to take any chances.

Still missing for the QT's, Air pump, for cycling this tank I will use one of the filter media from the main system, also, I will place diffuser so avoid any suicidal attempt and some pvc accesories for hiding spots.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you take over a shower? :D

OP
OP
JPSika08

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take over a shower? :D

Yes I did :D LOL, priorities, priorities hahaha.

In my country most houses and apartment buildings have additional rooms for housekeepers, in my case, my apartment has one, though, my housekeeper only comes three times per week on day basis, so I used this spare room as my Study room, and the bathroom is now the QT center for Fish and friends :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good for you!

OP
OP
JPSika08

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 20% water change to my system, instead of throwing the 'used' water I filled the 25 Gallon QT.

Tomorrow I will place the diffuser to cover the top, get a glass thermometer and a 100Watt Heater, also some bigger PVC, the ones in there are 1.5" elbows. The Filter Media you see in the picture is one that was within my DT Overflow for over two months, so it's full of bacteria and connected to my air pump.

Still, I will put in some ammonia tomorrow and see how the QT handles it, 1ppm and will go from there.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good idea!

OP
OP
JPSika08

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank as mentioned above 'Cycled' almost two weeks ago, though, I think it didn't cycled well. Measured Nitrites and after two weeks they are still at 0.1 - 0.05, but not zero. I really don't know what happened to this cycling process, it's my fifth system and all of the prior ones cycled in 1 month as it's supposed to be. Maybe it was the huge amount of ammonia that I introduced at the beginning, or as I only have dry rock, I used bacteria in a bottle and probably didn't work as well or maybe the ammonia was not fed after it hit zero, etc.

It has been three months of cycling, though, I have taken the decision to force cycle the tank again, :(
In this hobby either you do things correctly from the beginning or quit doing it as livestock don't have to pay the negligence from going the quick or wrong route.

I will raise ammonia again to 3ppm, and keep doing so until both Ammonia and Nitrite can be processed to zero in 24 hours, will throw in a couple of shrimps so there will always be ammonia source on the tank for the bacteria to eat. Also, a friend with a 7 year old established tank will give me some rocks from his system that are full of coraline Alage and hopefully lots of beneficial bacteria.

I will get some fish probably next week and place them in QT. At least I can cycle and QT at the same time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back