Jumping into the deep end

justjosh012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after living in Germany for a little over 1 year, i decided to start an aquarium design and maintenance business. I worked maintaining and designing aquariums for a reputable LFS back home in Colorado for a while, and have maintained my own aquariums and consider myself a capable reef keeper. I planned on starting things very slowly and just helping out family and friends, but things just got interesting.

A firm about 20 minutes away has a frewsh water planted aquarium that has been neglected for some time, its not terrible and the employee tasked with taking care of it has done what he can, but has no interest in aquariums. A lot of the equipment is outdated or sub par. When i heard about this aquarium through word of mouth it was described as "pretty big". To my suprise its a 12,000 liter (3,170 gallons) monster. I have a lot of research and work to do as this is way larger than anything i have dealt with before. I have dealt with a very poorly set up 600 gallon that was a nightmare, so i know some things not to do.

I will post pictures of the tank after my next visit. Right now my issue is making sure no medication or chemicals have been used in the tanks lifespan that would make a marine system not even an option. This will be a learning process for me no matter what happens, so I'm looking for anyone who has experience setting up very large systems like this so i can bother you with questions and PM's. A system this size was not part of my plan, but i cant think of a better way to start a business than to make this successful.

Thanks for reading!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!! It looks like that tank is going to be a nice challenge.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back