Jumping into the deep end

justjosh012

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2012
Messages
83
Reaction score
1
Location
germany
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after living in Germany for a little over 1 year, i decided to start an aquarium design and maintenance business. I worked maintaining and designing aquariums for a reputable LFS back home in Colorado for a while, and have maintained my own aquariums and consider myself a capable reef keeper. I planned on starting things very slowly and just helping out family and friends, but things just got interesting.

A firm about 20 minutes away has a frewsh water planted aquarium that has been neglected for some time, its not terrible and the employee tasked with taking care of it has done what he can, but has no interest in aquariums. A lot of the equipment is outdated or sub par. When i heard about this aquarium through word of mouth it was described as "pretty big". To my suprise its a 12,000 liter (3,170 gallons) monster. I have a lot of research and work to do as this is way larger than anything i have dealt with before. I have dealt with a very poorly set up 600 gallon that was a nightmare, so i know some things not to do.

I will post pictures of the tank after my next visit. Right now my issue is making sure no medication or chemicals have been used in the tanks lifespan that would make a marine system not even an option. This will be a learning process for me no matter what happens, so I'm looking for anyone who has experience setting up very large systems like this so i can bother you with questions and PM's. A system this size was not part of my plan, but i cant think of a better way to start a business than to make this successful.

Thanks for reading!
 
Good luck!! It looks like that tank is going to be a nice challenge.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new