Just a aquarium, can I use a regular aquarium to make a salt water reef tank?

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the money for a Red Sea so can I make a regular aquarium into saltwater aquarium?
You can, but you probably won’t like it a year down the road. Trust me. Also you don’t have to get a Red Sea. Look at the innovative marine Nuvo line or the jbj 45/65 is good too. And offer up is great too!

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, but you probably won’t like it a year down the road. Trust me. Also you don’t have to get a Red Sea. Look at the innovative marine Nuvo line or the jbj 45/65 is good too. And offer up is great too!
Agreed, it can be done but it ain’t gonna look Purdy. I did it recently, only one out of three fish have survived, I can’t keep corals alive, and it looks ugly as heck, hang on back filter, reptile screen lid rusting away, yeah you get the point.

of course another option is to diy one, like Mabye you use the same glass aquarium but you drill it for a sump, and buy new lights, just start fresh and trust me it will go better for you.

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other options besides red sea for "reef ready." Any enclosure that is watertight can be a saltwater aquarium. Just depends on how complex you want to go and how much money you want to spend.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it can be done but it ain’t gonna look Purdy. I did it recently, only one out of three fish have survived, I can’t keep corals alive, and it looks ugly as heck, hang on back filter, reptile screen lid rusting away, yeah you get the point.

of course another option is to diy one, like Mabye you use the same glass aquarium but you drill it for a sump, and buy new lights, just start fresh and trust me it will go better for you.
One year ago I made the same mistake. I got a 30 breeder which has terrible dimensions(36x12x16) used 2 ai primes, put a bunch of random live rock that don’t go together, mixed sand with crushed pieces of crushed coral (which is ugly.) used a hang on back filter, heater, and giant protein skimmer which took up a whole corner of the tank. I also used a mesh lid with cut out holes for the filter and lights. My coral managed to mostly stay alive and same with the fish. I went through a huge algae bloom and then I tore it all down, kept the live stock in a bucket for a few days, got new rock, used a piece of acrylic and made a diy all in one to hide my equipment, and put everything back in. It wasn’t that bad. But once you get high end coral, the black rim and the non low iron glass really makes the tank look bad. A month ago I used all my money, more money from grandparents and parents, and sold a bunch of stuff to get 700 dollars for an innovative marine 25 with no stand. I made my own. I also bought a nice protein skimmer and more new rock to restart everything except the live stock. I love the im line so much and cannot recommend it more!

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your eyes peeled, their is always good used deals to be had. You can find full systems on craigslist or offerup for a fraction of the initial cost, lots of people get in to this hobby but a large portion of those are out within a few years and just want to get rid of the equipment.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your eyes peeled, their is always good used deals to be had. You can find full systems on craigslist or offerup for a fraction of the initial cost, lots of people get in to this hobby but a large portion of those are out within a few years and just want to get rid of the equipment.
After my first tank cracked and I stopped fish keeping all together, I did just give all my supplies to a friend for free. Now I wish I would have kept some equipment but we can't cry over spilled milk and just move on.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 100% keep an eye out on craigslist and facebook market place. My neighbor just sold his 75 gallon with all equipment and lighting for $250. All because he refused to make his own water and drove 20 minutes to the LFS for top off and salt water every week.

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so true! I was able to get my current 180g with a custom metal stand for $180. The tank alone (Aqueon) goes for 900-1000.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year ago I made the same mistake. I got a 30 breeder which has terrible dimensions(36x12x16) used 2 ai primes, put a bunch of random live rock that don’t go together, mixed sand with crushed pieces of crushed coral (which is ugly.) used a hang on back filter, heater, and giant protein skimmer which took up a whole corner of the tank. I also used a mesh lid with cut out holes for the filter and lights. My coral managed to mostly stay alive and same with the fish. I went through a huge algae bloom and then I tore it all down, kept the live stock in a bucket for a few days, got new rock, used a piece of acrylic and made a diy all in one to hide my equipment, and put everything back in. It wasn’t that bad. But once you get high end coral, the black rim and the non low iron glass really makes the tank look bad. A month ago I used all my money, more money from grandparents and parents, and sold a bunch of stuff to get 700 dollars for an innovative marine 25 with no stand. I made my own. I also bought a nice protein skimmer and more new rock to restart everything except the live stock. I love the im line so much and cannot recommend it more!
I would say 2 ai primes ain't so bad! ( but everything else about that setup, yikes )

And I can't say I will be going rimless right away, cause that's a hefty $400 for the tank, but I will be doing everything else correct! ( if the op is reading this, rimmed tanks aren't necessarily "bad" they just take away from the aesthetic.

also as far as the used conversation goes, I am selling a 60 gallon tank for $75, it normally goes for around $200, just alone from that you can get big time savings! ( selling on offerup btw )

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @ReefSapper mentioned, check Craigslist. I got my 32 gallon Biocube with stand for $200, it came with the Steves LED upgrade ($399 alone). A lot of people get in the hobby and quit when they realize what it takes to maintain.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 2 ai primes ain't so bad! ( but everything else about that setup, yikes )

And I can't say I will be going rimless right away, cause that's a hefty $400 for the tank, but I will be doing everything else correct! ( if the op is reading this, rimmed tanks aren't necessarily "bad" they just take away from the aesthetic.

also as far as the used conversation goes, I am selling a 60 gallon tank for $75, it normally goes for around $200, just alone from that you can get big time savings! ( selling on offerup btw )
I payed 300 for the tank on brs

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decide what your budget is and what you want to have in the tank and I'm sure you'll get a lot of more specific suggestions. It can be a lot cheaper than the top of the line rimless tanks, but it is also very easy to underestimate the cost once you get bitten by the bug.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any tank, a few questions to ask yourself before you proceed is
how much are you willing to spend?
what kind of fish do you want to keep?
what kind of coral?

I personally would suggest a sump only because you can keep all your filtration under the tank, it adds stability.

go for the biggest tank you can afford or the minimum size for the fish you want to keep.

if this is your first steps Into salt water maybe start with something small and upgrade in the future.
see if the hobby is something your going to enjoy before dumping a small fortune into it.

OP
OP
shyeager

shyeager

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 34 bio cube with one tang and a 6 line wrasse for 1 1/2 years after losing some fish early in the tank. These two fish are about a year old. I would like a upgraded to 125 because of my MS I spend a lot of time home. The tank will be in my bedroom which is where my current tank is. I enjoy watching them all day. Calming enjoyable

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a regular aquarium without any problem.

If the tank is not drilled, you can either drill it (if not tempered glass) or you can use over-the-top overflow and return. Several DIY options are available if your budget doesn't allow a commercial set up.

You can also build a DIY sump to save money, lots of different designs avaiable for this too.

Biggest expenses will be the lighting and skimmer and RO/DI setup. Less expensive options are available for each, you'll just need to do your homework to decide which cost/quality best fits your objectives.

Shop Amazon for pricing, but also check with your LFS, particularly on the tank if you can't find a used one. Some of the chains will put the tank or tank and stand on sale periodically, but some LFS may be able to match. The RO/DI setup may seem expensive at first, but overtime it will be a better alternative than tap water.

I wish you success and enjoyment as you delve deeper into this hobby.

OP
OP
shyeager

shyeager

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I‘lol start saving my pennies

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. My first reef tank was a 45 gallon bow front with a canister filter and a seaclone HOB protein skimmer. Aside from my huge misstep in buying black sand, shich led to a prepetual diatom issue... it was a great tank. Fish were happy, the first corals were small but happy. Honestly, my tank was a good tank. I miss it! If I would have been smart enough to drill the back pane of glass for an external overflow (bottom was tempered), than I'd still have it running.
Do what you can afford that rings you joy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back