Who else does this? Or am I just weird?

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae magnet has become my go-to stud finder. It is a strong magnet and I have never have a problem finding the line of nails. Then it just hangs there allowing me to line things up. This is a spare magnet so I don't worry about picking up something that will scratch my tank.
20240411_214153.jpg

We've had plenty of posts of household items used in our aquariums. Who uses aquarium items around the house?

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple stud finders in the bottom of my toolbox. We live in an old house and the irregular walls throw off the electronic one. And the magnet in the other on is weak. So, this has been a fool proof solution since I started using my algae magnet a few years ago. I am guessing there are better options out there. I am open to suggestions.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised it’s strong enough to pick up the nails. My first thought was that you had metal studs.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience has suggested that there isn't a stud finder that is more accurate than an N52 neodymium magnet.

You can use 3 or 4 of the little round ones on a vertical stud to average the center of a stud.
That is a great idea. I'm guessing neodymium is what is in this "Hammerhead" magnet. The magnet naturally wants to center on the screw or nail. But a line of little button magnets is an amazing idea.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae magnet has become my go-to stud finder. It is a strong magnet and I have never have a problem finding the line of nails. Then it just hangs there allowing me to line things up. This is a spare magnet so I don't worry about picking up something that will scratch my tank.
20240411_214153.jpg

We've had plenty of posts of household items used in our aquariums. Who uses aquarium items around the house?
I don't do this, but will be doing now lol thanks for the tip of the month

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use magnets as stud finder at work. Very good hack. I have a big one like you see people magnet fishing with. Very nice.

I use a 1in pvc with a 90 and micro cloth to wipe the glass inside my aquarium.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use magnets as stud finder at work. Very good hack. I have a big one like you see people magnet fishing with. Very nice.

I use a 1in pvc with a 90 and micro cloth to wipe the glass inside my aquarium.
I have one of those fishing magnets. I never thought to try it as a stud finder. Let's see a picture of your pvc algae scrubber!

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those fishing magnets. I never thought to try it as a stud finder. Let's see a picture of your pvc algae scrubber!
Its just pvc with a cloth. My tqnk is too young for algae scrubbing. I just wipe diatoms. At the moment the 90 that is normally on this is on a pump. But as soon as i need it to hold my cloth i put it into action. Lol.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back