Just a discussion

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about dwarf angels (and other "with caution" fish) and they probability of them nipping at corals. I also see that the reef community has mad great strides in captive breeding many different types of fish. This got me wondering if being bred in captivity plays any role in the success of keeping these type of fish. Are captive bred fish less likely to nip? After all, they've never been exposed to the food source. How much instinct is left to give them a taste for the delicious corals?
Just some food for thought.
Would love to hear your ideas and/or experiences.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, angelfish are a fish that explore with their mouths. They are curious and intelligent fish, and if they come across something theyre curious about theyll taste it. Thats not really an instinct you can breed out i think, otherwise they would probably die. Yes they may recognise food we offer as their main diet more, when raised in tanks, but they still will venture with their mouths and graze, and what they graze cant really be controlled.

I havent kept any CB angels, but just my opinion from keeping some wild angels

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, angelfish are a fish that explore with their mouths. They are curious and intelligent fish, and if they come across something theyre curious about theyll taste it. Thats not really an instinct you can breed out i think, otherwise they would probably die. Yes they may recognise food we offer as their main diet more, when raised in tanks, but they still will venture with their mouths and graze, and what they graze cant really be controlled.

I havent kept any CB angels, but just my opinion from keeping some wild angels

Similar to toddlers and sharks Everything in the mouth. Now I wonder if it helps to already have all the coral you plan on adding. Then it's just part of landscape.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to toddlers and sharks Everything in the mouth. Now I wonder if it helps to already have all the coral you plan on adding. Then it's just part of landscape.
Yes, I've heard this and it also seems that large mature corals may suffer a bit of taste testing but isn't too bad, but I suppose that depends on the reefer.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good question, but no way to answer it without doing a study with an adequate number of individuals. Otherwise it's all just anecdotal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back