View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new fish! I think he is neat.

PXL_20220517_232938083~2.jpg
PXL_20220517_232940804~2.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish! Unfortunately I have never been able to keep one long term.

Don't know if it's because my tank is too active(they are very shy fish, often times hiding all day, only coming out to eat), or I just have way to many active fish for it to feel safe.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish! Unfortunately I have never been able to keep one long term.

Don't know if it's because my tank is too active(they are very shy fish, often times hiding all day, only coming out to eat), or I just have way to many active fish for it to feel safe.

I'm actually surprised how much I've been seeing this guy. He shares a "big pile of rocks" style aquascape (BPoR) with an orange spotted blenny and a firefish. Every time I walk past the tank he is out cruising. I was expecting a fish that I see once a week or something.

As for long term survival, who knows. We can only do our best. The tank has an obscene amount of various worms and amphipods. He is chowing down and his belly is full. I'm hoping he will be able to transition to prepared foods and not end up like a mandarin. For now it's TDO Chroma boost pellets, reef nutrition roe, and Larry's. Fingers crossed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually surprised how much I've been seeing this guy. He shares a "big pile of rocks" style aquascape (BPoR) with an orange spotted blenny and a firefish. Every time I walk past the tank he is out cruising. I was expecting a fish that I see once a week or something.

As for long term survival, who knows. We can only do our best. The tank has an obscene amount of various worms and amphipods. He is chowing down and his belly is full. I'm hoping he will be able to transition to prepared foods and not end up like a mandarin. For now it's TDO Chroma boost pellets, reef nutrition roe, and Larry's. Fingers crossed.
I saw my tanakai possum out every second, almost never hiding. Annoyingly that is also how he met the urchin and became dinner at night. They’re beautiful species though and if I found one I’d grab one - Actually I think all of the fish I have that are “secretive” are much more out and about, I think a peaceful tank but a heavy dither tank works nicely.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw my tanakai possum out every second, almost never hiding. Annoyingly that is also how he met the urchin and became dinner at night. They’re beautiful species though and if I found one I’d grab one - Actually I think all of the fish I have that are “secretive” are much more out and about, I think a peaceful tank but a heavy dither tank works nicely.

My firefish seems much more reclusive. I've been thinking about either adding a pair of clowns or a single springer's or lemon damsel to the tank, but I'm worried they will drive the wrasse into hiding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back