Just a reminder: Budget saltwater tanks don't exist

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people too often asking "I need help setting up a budget fish tank" but the best you can do is try to get sales or used things. the amount of money you spend reflects the quality of the tank. If you have a different opinion I'm open to hearing different viewpoints.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading your previous posts on here, it looks like your fairly new to reefing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, you don't have to spend mega bucks on a instatank to have it look good. Look at all those here that ditch the hobby and wonder why they can't get a decent return on the majority of the LARGE investment.

Used gear works, 'off the rack' glass tanks work. Don't be blinded by influencers that you see here and across the Internet.

The best looking tanks I've personally seen are from second hand acrylic, second hand (resealed) glass, a lot of diy and frankly some budget reefing (used pumps, powerheads, sumps, etc...).

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on who you know. I give away good free stuff all the time in my area. Lots of used tanks are available now that a lot of people are leaving the hobby too. If you know what to look for, and can fix small problems yourself, then they can be worth it. But yes, reefing is typically not for those without disposable income.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reefing for almost 20 years and had plenty of success on a budget. My current tank is the only one I’ve ever “splurged on” and bought a couple pieces of high end gear, but it’s still an Aqueon 75g on a DIY stand I drilled myself and put an external overflow

You can have a real nice tank with a basic Octo skimmer, a cheap used (or free) tek light and consistent dosing with 2 part. Or you can spend the cost of a new motorcycle on a fancy rimless tank. To each their own.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading your previous posts on here, it looks like your fairly new to reefing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, you don't have to spend mega bucks on a instatank to have it look good. Look at all those here that ditch the hobby and wonder why they can't get a decent return on the majority of the LARGE investment.

Used gear works, 'off the rack' glass tanks work. Don't be blinded by influencers that you see here and across the Internet.

The best looking tanks I've personally seen are from second hand acrylic, second hand (resealed) glass, a lot of diy and frankly some budget reefing (used pumps, powerheads, sumps, etc...).
I'm not saying spend 20k but the less you spend the more work and the more problems down the road you have. I would def say unless it's a tank 2nd hand is great

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on who you know. I give away good free stuff all the time in my area. Lots of used tanks are available now that a lot of people are leaving the hobby too. If you know what to look for, and can fix small problems yourself, then they can be worth it. But yes, reefing is typically not for those without disposable income.
I saw someone above saying they got a used tank and it was leaking the whole time :loudly-crying-face:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can buy something’s on a budget …
I think some of the “ mid grade” lighting options on Amazon work
Same goes for the Amazon quality wavemakers
…I wouldn’t skimp on the return pump or heater tho
I bet a “ doable” 40g or less can be put together sub $500

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reefing for almost 20 years and had plenty of success on a budget. My current tank is the only one I’ve ever “splurged on” and bought a couple pieces of high end gear, but it’s still an Aqueon 75g on a DIY stand I drilled myself and put an external overflow

You can have a real nice tank with a basic Octo skimmer, a cheap used (or free) tek light and consistent dosing with 2 part. Or you can spend the cost of a new motorcycle on a fancy rimless tank. To each their own.
I wouldn't call that a budget though idrk tho u seem to be very experienced. One thing I will say is there has to be some amount of disposable money for the tank if the fish will have a comfortable life.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people too often asking "I need help setting up a budget fish tank" but the best you can do is try to get sales or used things. the amount of money you spend reflects the quality of the tank. If you have a different opinion I'm open to hearing different viewpoints.
I just set up a 90 gallon 8 months ago, and I did not calculate costs involved Because I knew it would make me second guess!! I just wanted I , so I did it! Mine is about as “budget” as you get. No sump, no refugium, no frills, everything HOB, with a quality canister, and I am still a few thousand in! You are correct, if you are counting money before you even get started, then don’t start because it will not go well

Last edited:
OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can buy something’s on a budget …
I think some of the “ mid grade” lighting options on Amazon work
Same goes for the Amazon quality wavemakers
…I wouldn’t skimp on the return pump or heater tho
I bet a “ doable” 40g or less can be put together sub $500
I would agree but like if your doing corals maybe a better light would be optimal. Thank you for sharing your opinion. This has been a very interesting topic to me

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 90 gallon 8 months ago, and I did not calculate costs involved Beni knew it would make me second guess!! I just wanted I , so I did it! Mine is about as “budget” as you get. No sump, no refugium, no frills, everything HOB, with a quality canister, and I am still a free thousand in! You are correct, if you are counting money before you even get started, then don’t start because it will not go well
IMPRESSIVE!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone above saying they got a used tank and it was leaking the whole time :loudly-crying-face:
Yup. I suggest resealing if necessary, and filling up with tap water to leak test before using a tank. I have a 135 gallon I bought used, and it’s been in service now for 5 1/2 years. And for what it’s worth, new tanks can leak too.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 117 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back