Just another 40br build thread

JakeMonast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, my name is Jake and I've been lurking for quite some time learning and absorbing as much info as I can. I've always wanted to start a mixed reef tank and a couple of months ago I started a new job at the LFS servicing fresh and salt tanks (ponds too!). I figured I might as well start a tank to provide a day to day foundation from which I can learn and be responsible for on my own.

Honestly, I'm pretty close to filling up the tank so this is gonna be a bit messy and all over the place, but better here and documented than not! I have so much to learn and I'm looking forward to conversation with other fellow hobbyists!

Anyway, long story short, here's what I've been collecting the past few weeks!
Started off with the SS-30 sump from Bashsea, got it on CL brand new for about $300 with a 8-24 skimmer (which I quickly realized was far too big for my tank, 210-410gal). Grabbed a Petco Brooklyn stand and tetra 40br from CL as well.
O/F is a 700gph from glass-holes. Thank you Mike for making such a sweet product and for the excellent customer service! (drilled a 1-1/2' hole for this and did 3/4' on the other side for the return)
Grabbed a Reef Octo 110int classic and some random aquatop pump for the return doing about 360gph through the setup.
I have some other misc. things like a sun sun 1300gph powerhead and 200w via-aqua quartz heater

And finally here are some photos of where I currently stand, waiting to get rock from work and a Chinese black box I bought of amazon.
Excuse the mess, garage is cluttered and test filling/plumbing was much easier done out there! (better pics to come later this weekend I promise!)

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking set up you got there.
I wouldn't really worry about the skimmer too much. It will depend alot on what and how much you plan on stocking the tank with.

OP
OP
JakeMonast

JakeMonast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody! I’m happy to be here!

Hi Jake Welcome to R2R I don't have any experience with those lights but Gool luck looks like you have a good start
I got the light today, WiFi controls are finicky at best but only time will tell!

Nice looking set up you got there.
I wouldn't really worry about the skimmer too much. It will depend alot on what and how much you plan on stocking the tank with.
Thankfully I have a Reef Octo 110int for now so we’ll see how that does, gotta figure out the best way to tune it as it breaks in.

So quick and fairly big update, I filled the tank! Took 55 gallons and used 25g of system water from our mixed reef system and I’m only feeding the tank right now to cycle it w/o livestock.

I used 40lbs of ocean direct live sand and ~25lbs of mixed dry/live rock. Tank is very cloudy as expected but can’t wait to put some life in there!

My only current concern is how loud the filter sock chamber is. The Glass-holes overflow is excellent and very quiet but as the water flows down the sock it is quite loud, I can hear it over the TV in here. Does any one have an idea on how to remedy this?

Anyway, some quick shots so far and thanks for following along.

5769511E-CDE8-4C7C-9300-D2FE3FFF84A5.jpeg

BE484218-1846-42A8-A5D5-F44FB0AC6827.jpeg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the drain to be quiet it needs to be submerged. If you remove the filter sock you could extend the plumbing down under the water level. If you don't want to loose the filter sock, maybe make a cover for the hole on top of the sump where you access the filter sock, not a perfect solution but it might help.

OP
OP
JakeMonast

JakeMonast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the drain to be quiet it needs to be submerged. If you remove the filter sock you could extend the plumbing down under the water level. If you don't want to loose the filter sock, maybe make a cover for the hole on top of the sump where you access the filter sock, not a perfect solution but it might help.
I have the drain going 3” under water behind the dock compartment, the water trickling down is where the noise is coming from, I’m thinking of a sponge r simply running soft tubing directly into the part of the sock that stays sumbmerged. Either way I’ll tinker around with it.

Only current update is evaporation, is nearly a gallon a day normal? I’ve got to order a glass top for the tank at least and I’m sure it will subside.

Beside that, waiting on payday to pick up more rock but wondering how you guys feel about instant bacteria cycles like Frtiz Turbostart? Maybe I’m just being impatient but it sounds like a decent way to start stocking a system with live sand/rock and a bit of a similar product. At my shop, we wait a full 6 weeks using an ammonium chloride from Dr. Tim’s.

OP
OP
JakeMonast

JakeMonast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one more confusing issue, I tried to level out alk and calcium while I was sitting around, I dosed Red Sea’s alk after testing 9.0dkh trying to raise it to 11.5 the alk actually went down a wee bit on my later test, anyone have any ideas?

Back