Just another Build: 80 Gallon

C.Rayven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its finally time - I bought an 80 Gallon SC Aquariums tank for this build.

....But there's a little back story and it wont get there immediately. This tank build was in the works but it was a slow in the works until two weeks ago when my main display, a 225 reef, split a seam and started leaking from the top 2 inches. So, this tank was pushed up. I will be transferring coral and fish from my main tank to this tank and two additional holding tanks while I figure out what to do with the main tank.
Options that I'm struggling with now are
1) Reseal the original tank - There's really nothing wrong with it except the seam maybe one scrach
2) Buy Glass tank
3) Buy Acrylic tank

Reseal is the cheapest option - the quotes on glass and acrylic are pretty comparable to each other. I had an older acrylic tank and HATED it, scratches galore - but I've heard that the newer ones are better? But Acrylic wont (in theory) have a seam issue and do better in earthquakes... but Glass is just so easy... Again torn. Let me know what you think!

Back to this Build:

I had to fit a 32x24 foot print for this little nook in my kitchen. I was told "No tearing out walls" silly boyfriend... so I searched for a while for this size tank. Decided on SC Aquariums because it was a standard size for them. I'm also only a couple hours away from the manufacturing facility so I drove down an picked it up. Met the owner there and loaded it in my car in 10mins. Perfect transaction. The tank came with the sump and skimmer so I will be using their standard ones.

Work so far:
Installed GFI Outlets - moved one one up higher off the floor and installed one in what will be the canopy for the lights. There is not enough room to run cords behind the tank, we are that tight in the space.
6EE8D0E3-2EB7-4E33-8DC8-3451673D9A24.jpeg

Stand built, painted with Kliz and leveled. Very lucky to have cabinet makers in the family, Still needs the skin put on but the base is ready to go! Canpoy is going to be measured for soon.
2533E11D-B85F-4DB7-A00D-EEA6CE6C9CE1.jpeg

The tank sits in the spot perfectly, I decided to black out the left hand panel as it was against the wall and would be impossible to clean if it got streaks or water drops. I used krylon fusion mate black paint. The good thing is that I will be able to just razor it off if I ever sell or move the tank.
D4F417A0-280A-46B0-AAE0-C39D810B8D8D.jpeg

Chiller was already acquired as this is a must have in CA for seahorses. It is going to sit under our island/bar thing so I am going to drill a hole though the wall hopefully tomorrow to plumb it.

Lighting is going to be an AI Vega that I inherited with a tank that I was asked to "adopt". I may add T5 as supplemental lighting, I'll have to see how the spread looks.

Parts coming:
Plumbing parts were ordered from BRS - Hoping to make this look nice underneath my other tank is a mandatory doors closed situation...
ATO for AA - super narrow at 4 inches wide! Which is all the space I had after the sump goes in.

More coming soon!

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,well..first off a long belated welcome to the reef:)
7 years in the making ,this is going to be awesome,seahorse experience here,
looking good ,sounding good,def along for the ride;)

OP
OP
C.Rayven

C.Rayven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,well..first off a long belated welcome to the reef:)
7 years in the making ,this is going to be awesome,seahorse experience here,
looking good ,sounding good,def along for the ride;)

Thank you! I've been a lurker for a long while...

I'll have to check out your build thread!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow i ran at 77-78 ;)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah!!!!
I have been wanting to do a Sh tank for years. I had the SCA 90 I was thinking would be the Sh tank but when i got the RS750xxl the GF wanted be to sell it.

we are moving into a new home in a few months I have a little rock flower peninsula + will have the large RS peninsula but so want to a SH tank too. eh the strugle is real. haha

one think I did not care for my 90 SCA was the back over flow might be a problem on a SH tank as you can glue rock and hitching posts to it but in my reef i sure did hate it. IDK something to think about.

perfect spot for a little sh tank for sure!

OP
OP
C.Rayven

C.Rayven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah!!!!
I have been wanting to do a Sh tank for years. I had the SCA 90 I was thinking would be the Sh tank but when i got the RS750xxl the GF wanted be to sell it.

we are moving into a new home in a few months I have a little rock flower peninsula + will have the large RS peninsula but so want to a SH tank too. eh the strugle is real. haha

one think I did not care for my 90 SCA was the back over flow might be a problem on a SH tank as you can glue rock and hitching posts to it but in my reef i sure did hate it. IDK something to think about.

perfect spot for a little sh tank for sure!

Thanks!!

You should go for it! Maybe after the move would be easier.

The back overflow doesn't bother me too much. My plan is to sort of build around it, I have a general idea for the aquascape that I'm looking for, but we'll see if I can follow through with the execution. I plan on this tank being macro, softie and Gorgonian heavy for hitching posts. fingers crossed

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi will stop back later couple questions:)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!

You should go for it! Maybe after the move would be easier.

The back overflow doesn't bother me too much. My plan is to sort of build around it, I have a general idea for the aquascape that I'm looking for, but we'll see if I can follow through with the execution. I plan on this tank being macro, softie and Gorgonian heavy for hitching posts. fingers crossed

yeah I love gorgs. macro 'sand softies too. there a perfect fit for a SH tank.
are you on any of the FB Sh groups?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
want to add one thing ,i had purple corky gorgo burn tail resulting in loss of one female from tailburn,burn was also on gorgo,just wanted to get that to you ,lots of time research ,most are seahorse friendly. :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
want to add one thing ,i had purple corky gorgo burn tail resulting in loss of one female from tailburn,burn was also on gorgo,just wanted to get that to you ,lots of time research ,most are seahorse friendly. :)

interesting...so you are saying the corky gorg. is NOT SH safe?? I have never heard that before. I wonder if the poylops are to big and causing cuts in the tail and getting infected else where OR is it a chemical burn directly from the gorg?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looked like black burn on skin of gorgo ring of skin on tail of her was obvious what had happened:(

OP
OP
C.Rayven

C.Rayven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I love gorgs. macro 'sand softies too. there a perfect fit for a SH tank.
are you on any of the FB Sh groups?

I am on a couple (I can't remember the rules on posting about other groups/forums and what not) I'm not super active on FB but there are some really informative posts in the groups. I'm more active on my instagram than FB. I started one for the tank it's linked in my profile.

OP
OP
C.Rayven

C.Rayven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting...so you are saying the corky gorg. is NOT SH safe?? I have never heard that before. I wonder if the poylops are to big and causing cuts in the tail and getting infected else where OR is it a chemical burn directly from the gorg?
looked like black burn on skin of gorgo ring of skin on tail of her was obvious what had happened:(

Very interesting! I wonder what specific species of gorgonian, Corky finger is. I had several other types of gorgonain in my other tank without a problem but I did not have Corky finger.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back