Just Another SPS Color Thread

Big Tuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like reed pearls. They are oyster eggs buy i believe in a dried form. I also like rods coral food. My acros seem to respond really well to it.

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monkey wrench number 2. Staying in the background of this thread one thing I've learned for sure, every tank is different. What may work in one tank may not work in another's tank. There are some things that are just plain basic in reef husbandry. One thing I've can agree on with my short experience is when my nitrates were zero, my phosphates rose. When I kept them between 2-5 ppms my phosphates were around .03-.07 range depending on feeding. Some things just don't work for everyone. You know the basics, just adjust them to your tracks needs. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like reed pearls. They are oyster eggs buy i believe in a dried form. I also like rods coral food. My acros seem to respond really well to it.
Okay. Ive used Oyster feast before so I'm sure its similar.

Monkey wrench number 2. Staying in the background of this thread one thing I've learned for sure, every tank is different. What may work in one tank may not work in another's tank. There are some things that are just plain basic in reef husbandry. One thing I've can agree on with my short experience is when my nitrates were zero, my phosphates rose. When I kept them between 2-5 ppms my phosphates were around .03-.07 range depending on feeding. Some things just don't work for everyone. You know the basics, just adjust them to your tracks needs. My 2 cents.
I agree. Every tanks biology, chemistry and personality are all different. And I also agree that it is critical to understand the basics. By reaching out for information we may all learn a new thing or two that may be applied to our own tanks. Not to say that every suggestion will work but it does open our eyes to the possibilities.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. One thing I've can agree on with my short experience is when my nitrates were zero, my phosphates rose. When I kept them between 2-5 ppms my

I've noticed the same thing. How are you keeping your Nitrates at 2-5 ppm ? Mine are staying undetectable

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a 1"x 1" frozen cube? Just homemade? How big is the tank and how many fish?
500 gallons and about 45-50 fish.
15882096dd68d4ba32b7d7f9ab2e1a75.jpg

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and by the way I am working on trying to collect some ID's for my SPS to better understand and care for them. So if anybody has any potential ID's please shoot them my way. I also have a post in the ID forum but no responses as of yet.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that usually gets said at some point after I bring up lux. And it is largely true, just mostly not relevant for us. Just for fun you should do a search on "lux" and my username. [emoji1]

In a nutshell, there is no reason for us to worry about any of those complexities or think that a $300 meter is necessary. E.g. Do you worry about the inaccuracies of your Salifert calcium test kit...because in truth it's horribly inaccurate. No, because they work great for our purposes! [emoji3]

For $15, why not get a lux meter for yourself and experiment? And as I always mention, if you are really in need of PAR numbers you can even obtain a conversion factor for your lux meter and your lights.

Based on the common limits of LED design and the wide range of acceptable lux, the $15 lux meter works great to set the overall brightness of your lights. As you alluded, it's 100% better than guessing!

To see color changes, you really need a different kind of meter. A fairly expensive one if you want to measure those color changes. You can sorta achieve this function with a student/$30 spectrometer like the Project STAR spectrometer I have.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447273798.024447.jpg

Which gives you a view like this:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447273534.112154.jpg

Can you tell which wavelengths are weak in this light?

And since I am posting pictures now, here's the lux meter:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447273609.322557.jpg
You can sorta achieve this function with a student/$30 spectrometer like the Project STAR spectrometer I have.
Yea old thread But was researching.
I thought I was the only reefer who did this.:confused:
Thanks...Yet Again
25 years in lighting and I was starting to think I was nuts because of what "they Say".
:D

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even doing DIY you cannot avoid caveat emptor and you cannot begrudge "them" a little creative marketing. [emoji41]

Whether you (or I) are nuts may be another discussion. [emoji6][emoji106]

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Documentation is my advice to you.
Write everything down and learn from that, chech what works and the things that did not work. There's thousands of reef tanks out there and every tank are different like a finger print. You know your tank best and you read and absorbed information here, now it's up to you.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 134 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back