Just Another SPS Color Thread

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I know Ive posted on here before about coloring up SPS corals and I would like address some of the changes Ive made and where I stand so I can hopefully get closer to the colors that I am looking for. I will first say that my colors are not bad, but I do think that they can use improving. None of my SPS are overly vibrant or attractive (with the exception of one or two green acros). My issue with many of my pieces is that they have color on the tips but either fade to a whiter color or turn brownish (more common in the case of my purple acroporas). I do not know the names of my acros so it is hard to know exactly what they should look like. My goal is to make my acros more vibrant and colorful all the way through to the base, not simply the tips. Since my last post I have upped my feeding, removed some of my GAC and GFO, and removed the soft corals that I was warned could be producing chemicals harmful to SPS. Since these changes I have noticed no real change for the better or worse. I am really at a loss as to where I should proceed as I want to make my tank more appealing to my eye. I will say that I am a bit of a perfectionist and I really don't want to just settle for where I'm at now i strive for more.

Here are two of my previous threads that give more background on my situation
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acropora-color-troubleshoot.210542/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-sps-aquascape-opinions.216927/

As always I would like to that everyone in advance for any and all help and opinions and apologize for all of the pictures because I cannot take any good representative photos of my tank for the life of me.

Any extra information I can provide that may assist in diagnosing my problem feel free to ask.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will start with the kind of lighting you are using.. sorry if I missed that.
Led lighting?
When you say appealing to the eye what are you after? Is it from the front of the tank or the top?
Sounds like you are on the right path.
No3 dosing in my tank has and is doing wonders since I have such a huge export system.
But lighting I think for viewing pleasures is key.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I didn't mention here in this thread. I have two Hydra 52's and one original Hydra along the center of the tank with two 60inch t5 bulbs on either side. By appealing I don't just mean an change in spectrum. I mean making the actual SPS corals more colorful themselves. I seem to have hit a brick wall. I have gotten decent color from all my pieces but I can't bring it to the next level of extraordinary that I want. To be honest I don't even know if its a too little light/too much nutrient problem or a too much light/too few nutrient problem. I don't have access to a PAR meter but from my red sea tests my NO3 and PO4(salifert) both read zero and aside from my refugium I have no algae growth.

jaguars4263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and bring up your NO3 and PO4. Sps corals need both of them. I think your water might be to clean.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and bring up your NO3 and PO4. Sps corals need both of them. I think your water might be to clean.
Even those that have brownish branches? And i feed my fish three times a day and I feed my corals 3 to 4 times a week. There are around 15 fish in my 150 gallon tank at the moment. The only thing I can think of is someone suggested potassium nitrate for raising my NO3 but Ive been skeptical.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking at the Red Sea Coral Colors program. You can find information on the program via their web site at http://www.redseafish.com/coral-coloration-program/
I have investigated their color program before and it looks interesting. However I've seen so many tanks that are great looking that don't bother with things like Iodine, Potassium and the other trace elements that have extraordinary colors. I just feel a lot can go wrong more easily than things going right.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have all of this posted in other threads, but I'm lazy and don't feel like navigating all around the internet...so can you answer the following questions so your system can be critiques.

What are the following
Age of system
Alk
Cal
Mag
Nitrates
Phosphates
Salinity
Temp

How much flow?
What type of powerheads?
Any dosing?
What and how often do you feed?
Amount of live rock?
Can you provide a couple pics of the colorless acros and a full tank shot?
Lighting?
Placement of problem corals?

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have all of this posted in other threads, but I'm lazy and don't feel like navigating all around the internet...so can you answer the following questions so your system can be critiques.

What are the following
Age of system
Alk
Cal
Mag
Nitrates
Phosphates
Salinity
Temp

How much flow?
What type of powerheads?
Any dosing?
What and how often do you feed?
Amount of live rock?
Can you provide a couple pics of the colorless acros and a full tank shot?
Lighting?
Placement of problem corals?

System started a little over 3 years ago as a 90. Upgraded to the 150 last September.
8.3dkh
430ppm
1400ppm
0.0ppm
0.0ppm
1.025sg
80-81F

9000gph
2 Ecotech MP40QD reef crest mode
Natureef 2 part for Calcium and Alk
Fish fed 3 times a day, one cube miss, one cube plankton, and thera-a pellets/corals fed three times a week(or so) with cobalt frozen coral food(I've tried multiple coral foods)
Pics I will try to post below(they are not going to represent the corals fully since I can't take a true-to-life photo)
Two Hydra 52's, one original Hydra, 4 60-inch t5 bulbs
No particular location, I have an ORA shortcake that used to be quite colorful but has lost some of its luster as it grew larger-grown on the bottom 2-3 inches of the tank
Some type of millepora placed medium-high directly under the LED's and won't color up(not sure if it should be purple or blue)
A purple pacropoar mid way through the tank that used to be purple tipped and a whitish skin and is not fading on the purple tips
What I think is a trip-color valida with purple tips but a muted green branch closer to the top of the tank

Those are just some examples

thumb_IMG_2488_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2590_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2592_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2593_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2594_1024.jpg
thumb_PICT0151_1024.jpg

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you got some really nice colonies going, the red monti seems to have great color but you're right, some of the colors seem to be a little "drab" compared to those same corals in other systems. Will follow along, good luck!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you got some really nice colonies going, the red monti seems to have great color but you're right, some of the colors seem to be a little "drab" compared to those same corals in other systems. Will follow along, good luck!
Is it bad that I am relieved to hear you say that? I recognize that some of my pieces do look nice but others need some help. Ive shown pics to local stores and they all say I'm doing fine...but I don't want just fine! LOL Aside from that Ill agree and say Ive never had trouble growing my pieces out. Sometimes Ill look and be like "wow thats grown since I got it!" But thanks for the support and compliments!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just and update for everyone helping and following. I was suggested by an SPS guy at a recommended store that I try lowering the intensity of my LEDs. He said without seeing my tank that would be his first guess. He said it is easier and safer to lower my intensities as opposed to trying to play with my nutrients too much. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this please feel free to speak up.

Wsufan18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color spectrum are your LEDs running and intensity? I'm kinda in your opposite situation, I'm trying to grow sps quickly. From what I've been reading, the white spectrum lighting grows them faster while the blue spectrum colors them up. My plan is white light for growth then once colonies form, switch to blues. I suggest you look into this as well as increase nitrates. I am a noob but hope to help.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color spectrum are your LEDs running and intensity? I'm kinda in your opposite situation, I'm trying to grow sps quickly. From what I've been reading, the white spectrum lighting grows them faster while the blue spectrum colors them up. My plan is white light for growth then once colonies form, switch to blues. I suggest you look into this as well as increase nitrates. I am a noob but hope to help.
I'm not sure of an exact spectrum. I definitely run my lights closer to a 20k though, always have. I was suggested to drop my intensities which I have done in the hopes of gaining some color. I've been told about the nitrates but I know it's always better to change one thing at a time. In my experience though I have never had trouble growing SPS even under the bluer spectrum and I'm sure most of the experts would agree. In my opinion I wouldn't sacrifice nice colors for a bit of extra growth, especially knowing how difficult it can be to achieve those outstanding colors. That's just my 2 cents though. Also I always appreciate the input from a fellow reefer. It's always good to shared opinions about different techniques and strategies.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the first thread and Russ even commented on one of my other threads about the possibility of dosing potassium nitrate. I was just a little nervous to mess around with my nutrients until I was convinced that nutrients were my problem. In addition I was nervous actually dosing nutrients when I was already feeding three times a day. I could be wrong and nutrients could definitely be my issue but I just skeptical of nitrate dosing.

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing about dosing nitrate is that it's more controlled. It's just nitate. With more feeding it will most likely be an uneven ratio of phosphates over a little nitrate. But the combo of the two could be a winner

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've reviewed your pictures and this is why I think.

Your corals actually have good color, it is just covered up by zooxanthela which is giving them a brown/dark appearance.

You definitely do not need to dose nitrates, your corals are getting fed plenty with your feeding schedule. In my opinion you need to cut back on your feeding, your corals are not pale. A couple people have misinterpreted the literature lately and have spread the misnomer that you want an increased concentration of zooxanthela. Zooxanthela are brown, when the population is increased your coral will be brown. What you want to do is decrease the population of zooxanthela and bring out the natural color of your coral more.

In order to bring out the true color of your coral, from looking at your pictures and reading your tank stats, you need to cut back on your feeding. First, stop adding coral food, if you are feeding your fish three times a day they are getting enough food from just that. Don't bother with anything extra...for now. Also, since your getting so much nutrients to your corals, you can bump up your alk and calcium a bit. Slowly them up (but not to high). Observe the changes you get over about a month, and I think you'll see improvements.

You can probably increase the intensity of your lights slightly. The full spectrum light will help develop the color, and the blue light will bring it out more. Do not turn them down more.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back