Just appeared in tank a week or so ago. Id please?

Lukebora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like two small feather dusters to me, not completely sure. There is an empty feather duster tube on my torch skeleton. Possible culprit?
image.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are baby aiptasia. Your best bet is to take the frag out, cover the aiptasia in kalk paste or Aiptasia-X or Joe's Juice or F-Aiptasia and let it sit in a tib of tank water for a bit. I would then transfer it back to the display tank and keep an eye on that frag for any more aiptasia popping up. Kill it now while your have the chance.

OP
OP
L

Lukebora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are baby aiptasia. Your best bet is to take the frag out, cover the aiptasia in kalk paste or Aiptasia-X or Joe's Juice or F-Aiptasia and let it sit in a tib of tank water for a bit. I would then transfer it back to the display tank and keep an eye on that frag for any more aiptasia popping up. Kill it now while your have the chance.
I do not own any aptasia x and not going to my lfs untill tomorrow. Any substitutes? I feel that I should also mention that the creature sort of sucks in whenever I put flow on it or move the frag.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not own any aptasia x and not going to my lfs untill tomorrow. Any substitutes? I feel that I should also mention that the creature sort of sucks in whenever I put flow on it or move the frag.
In principle you want to avoid bothering aiptasia until you're ready to kill it. They can reproduce by releasing planula, which they do when they're bothered. Not sure if the small ines do it or just the bigger ones.

Since they are so close to your zoas it is a bit more problematic to remove them. My go-to for aiptasia eradication is blasting them with boiling RODI water. But your zoas won't thak you for that.

Alternatively @vetteguy53081 has given great recommendations and I think one of his was to use a syringe to inject lemon juice right into the mouth of the Aiptasia. Do this outside of the tank if possible.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try super glue gel. Just pull the frag out and glue right over them.

It’s what we did at my LFS and seemed to work well.
This too! It works if you can cover up the Aiptasia enough. Sometimes they will shrink up and shimmy out somehow, but a good glob over their oral disk and around them to the base should be effective. Again, doing this out of tank is best.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It looks like two small feather dusters to me, not completely sure. There is an empty feather duster tube on my torch skeleton. Possible culprit?
image.jpg
Keep it simple - using a syringe or pipette, mix kalkwasser paste to the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and they will melt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back