Just bought first tank extremely high salinity

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish seems to be doing alright, but the Damsel is hiding, and has nearly no color, so i am very concerned about the Damsel.

I'm a also a relative beginner that started with a rescued tank with high salinity and nitrate levels. I went the route of small water changes every few days to bring the levels down slowly. Regarding your damsel, you might need more data -- what are the other water parameters reading? is the temperature within range? did the aquascape change significantly when you set it back up at your house? Good luck and welcome to R2R!

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very probable the original owner was putting Saltwater into his ATO. how long did he have the tank? and did it come with an ATO reservoir.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 17, i just bought my first tank, its a 29 gallon tall, just got it home and set it back up with its original water from the person we bought it from, just tested the salinity, it is max on our hydrometer, in my dad's tank its reading 1.025.

It came with a Clownfish and a Damsel, I don't want to shock the fish by reducing the salinity too fast, what is the best way to bring it down?

Welcome to R2R! Definitely lower with small WC!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically due to dilution, if you do waterchanges at 1.025 when your salinity is above, u will never really reach 1.025.... u need to do waterchanges at a lower salinity(1.020-1.023) than desired to get to 1.025
Follow his advice and also Welcome to the Forum!
You not only want to lower salinity but also keep the ionic balance of the water correct. The best way to do that is to use 1.020 water changes in small amounts over a several day period.
Once the water has reached 1.025 or 1.026 you should leave it for a week or two and then do some additional water changes with 1.025 water.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back