Just clowning around! Do you have a favorite species of clownfish?

Do you have a favorite species of clownfish?

• Ocellaris

Votes: 144 55.6%
  • Percula

Votes: 36 13.9%
  • Maroon

Votes: 28 10.8%
  • Clarkii

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Skunk

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Tomato

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 8.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A clownfish is a clownfish, right? While many people have an image of the seemingly ubiquitous clownfish, there are many variations. Not only are there different patterns of clownfish there are also many different species. In fact, right now there are about thirty different species of clownfish. Additionally, there are many patterns of clownfish such as some of my favorites: the bullet-hole Oscellaris and the lightning Maroon. Some of the species are more well know like the oscellaris, percula, maroon, clarkia, skunk, and tomato, however there are also lesser-known clownfish species that are available in the hobby such as the allardi, mcculochi, and omanensis. Do you have a favorite species of clownfish?

ReefPro_OmanClowns.jpeg

Photo by @Reef Pro; Amphiprion omanensis

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish are somehow related to cats.
One day I randomly pointed a lazer into my tank and the 2 clowns started chasing it around.
I still do it time to time.

Attachments

• 17011258278063491431874452525084.jpg
    17011258278063491431874452525084.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 70

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are often nasty but had a pair that bother no other until one day the female starting bothering her other. Still prefer Maroons as they just seem better evolved at swimming and less herky jerky motions. Gets me dizzy looking at some other clowns. Makes me feel like I'm about to go vertigo

Reef_Freak720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was their first offspring I raised. My only only to survive from that clutch. Had him for 3 years named him Omen(nemo backwards and because I considered him my little good omen lol) l.
Unfortunately he decided to carpet surf when I left the lid off in haste one day. That one hurt
Screenshot_20231127_184316_Gallery.jpg

KillerKadoogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A clownfish is a clownfish, right? While many people have an image of the seemingly ubiquitous clownfish, there are many variations. Not only are there different patterns of clownfish there are also many different species. In fact, right now there are about thirty different species of clownfish. Additionally, there are many patterns of clownfish such as some of my favorites: the bullet-hole Oscellaris and the lightning Maroon. Some of the species are more well know like the oscellaris, percula, maroon, clarkia, skunk, and tomato, however there are also lesser-known clownfish species that are available in the hobby such as the allardi, mcculochi, and omanensis. Do you have a favorite species of clownfish?

ReefPro_OmanClowns.jpeg

Photo by @Reef Pro; Amphiprion omanensis

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
I love my maroon gold stripe!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of maroon clowns years ago. I like them a lot however I like ocellaris clowns best. The first clownfish I ever saw were ocellaris clownfish. That was in 1998, well before “Finding Nemo” came out. Although it took about another 10 years before I set up my first reef tank that encounter inspired me to get into reefing.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As nasty as she can be, my experience as a reefer just wouldn’t be the same without Luxo! So my vote has to go to ocellaris!
IMG_2743.jpeg
I'm happy to nominate Luxo as the poster child of ocellaris clowns. I don't think there's a more famous ocellaris on this forum.

@OrchidMiss Felicia is a gold nugget? What kind is she? Definitely another one for the spotlight!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back