Just curious, would it be possible to make a big enough tank so you dobt have to do maintenance.

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its never has and never will happen, but just curious of wether you could make a tank big enough were you dont have to do maintenance, like if it was huge would you need to feed the fish? Because if its huge you could have TONS of small fish and 1 predatory fish so then bcs there are so many small fish they outnumber the predatory fish, then the snall fish, the prey could feed off colony's of shrimp. They will breed like crazy in a huge tank so they will be an unlimited food source. The shrimp would feed on algae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Being a big tank owner- Large tanks will never cease maintenance but will reduce maintenance requirements (often by prolonging need for frequent water changes )not to mention to time it takes to accumulate waste, detritus, etc.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest tank I know of privately owned is 17000 gallons and has a cost of around 40k a month to maintenance.

Maybe if you live next to the ocean and you could get water in and out it could work on solar power maybe:)

I have seen this tank online I did not know the monthly up keep is 40K! WOW

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its never has and never will happen, but just curious of wether you could make a tank big enough were you dont have to do maintenance, like if it was huge would you need to feed the fish? Because if its huge you could have TONS of small fish and 1 predatory fish so then bcs there are so many small fish they outnumber the predatory fish, then the snall fish, the prey could feed off colony's of shrimp. They will breed like crazy in a huge tank so they will be an unlimited food source. The shrimp would feed on algae.
The closest I've personally seen was at the store I worked at in Norman. We had a 180 gal that all we ever did was dose, feed, empty the skimmer cup, and top off. No water changes, no big work involved. I think that's about as good as it gets. Just minimizing maintenance, but you can't ever take it all away.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest tank I know of privately owned is 17000 gallons and has a cost of around 40k a month to maintenance.

Maybe if you live next to the ocean and you could get water in and out it could work on solar power maybe:)

Always wondered how much Andrew spends on maintaining this one.

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wondered how much Andrew spends on maintaining this one.
It’s not like I know the guy I wished hehe. What I do really like about him is that he just responds on his videos or build page like any other reefer. I got the info from this video where he explains it.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not like I know the guy I wished hehe. What I do really like about him is that he just responds on his videos or build page like any other reefer. I got the info from this video where he explains it.

Yeah I don't know him either. Just his YouTube. Some of the rare fish he has are incredible.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what's in it, and how long. You can make a walstad tank but that's really a freshwater thing and I am not sure how well you could translate to saltwater.

You can't create a tank with stony corals that doesn't need some sort of mineral supplementation.

What you could certainly do is create a tiny tank with light and an initial nutrient source and keep some sort of small scavenger inverts in it that could live a full life off what's in there in theory. Fish generally eat too much for this to work.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the lagoons at the resorts in the south pacific (atlantic to a lesser degree) have acres off stuff fed with fresh saltwater where fish spawn, corals spawn and all of that and they sill need water changes with the ocean and other maintenance including food, pest removal and other things.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that hard to avoid water changes but if you have coral you can't get around having to at least dose calcium and other minerals to replace what corals use. If you did a large Macro Algae and fish only tank loaded with tons of copepods initially it's hypothetically possible to create a self sustaining food cycle if you stocked it very lightly with fish.

Last edited:

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take control of the red sea region and seal it off.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought if I was a gazillionair I would build a house on the beach that had a below water level room with a giant window into the ocean. You could even aquascape the rocks and place corals like a tank, just in the ocean!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back