Just dosed Interceptor Spectrum

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my friends hooked me up with some interceptor spectrum, it contains the active ingredients 23mg milbemycin oxime and 228mg praziquantel.

my tank is 60G cube sps dom. the reason I'm dosing this is because some of my acros have some bugs, Not the common RedBugs but BlackBugs, Yup you heard me.. I'm not sure how i got it but i treat all my frags with Bayer.
2:30 turn off Carbon/GFO. remove hose on skimmer remove as much snails as i can.
3:00 pm cut 1/4 peice of Chewable Tablet, smash it up.
3:30 pm pour into tank got a bit cloudy
4:00 pm change out GFO and Carbon. LEAVE OFF!!!
4:30 pm as of now inspect infected corals, i can see them moving around on the specimen. what??

now this is weird, its been about an hour and all my corals has shown no slime whatsoever.

What to do now? smash up more and dose the tank?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you know how old the interceptor is? It usually takes all of six hours to kill em all.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch out for quick reactions to things like that. It normally takes 6-12hrs to kill them all. I run interceptor for 24hrs usually. they will all die with 1/4 a pill in a 60gallon. at least redbugs will. not sure about black bugs, but I would imagine so.

OP
OP
bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well u waited for 7 hours then did a 10g water change after that I put my snails an whatnot back. After tho morning all my hermits were lifeless :(

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was still in the system that is why your hermits died as normally interceptor is run for 12 hours at the minimum but I personally run for 24 hours like Chameleon said then wait a few days and run a second treatment. I also run the skimmer and pump just block off where the air enters so it doesn't bubble don't know if it matters but doesn't hurt in case any bugs are in there as well!

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you jsut get the interceptor....aka where able to find it somewhere or was this an old stashed supply?
would be nice if they started making it again to have just in case.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into that too with some coral I had in QT . I dipped in revive n didn't see them . I did the overnight interceptor treatment. I went to inspect the corals the next day . I saw these black spec's on my plugs. I dosed again and waited another day ..I thought I saw movement on a plug while inspecting the corals . Sure enough still alive . I had some LPS in there too and they were on those rocks too. The bugs don't care if it's a sps or lps in my findings . I don't know what harm they do .
I dipped the frags in Bayer n they ran off the plug but some also seemed to lock down on whatever surface they were on .I wiped the plugs down with a paper towel after rinsing in clean saltwater .
The interceptor did not work for me but the Bayer did .
Aussie land sells interceptor spectrum . No need for a prescription .

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Interceptor in Aus. i purchased it 3/10/13 and it just came in the mail today. i thought sure enough i got scammed but i didnt. JoePetMeds is where i bought it. the Package seems legit and does not look like the imitation brands.

A little update as well: i see no bugs on any of the infected acros. polyps are out.

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interceptor spectrum is not the same as interceptor....it has praziquantal in it and at a fairly high rate (my reading show about 60x normal dose) but im glad everything seems to be going well
i thought you had the regular interceptor pill but im pretty sure they havent started production back yet.

how did the rest of the tank do...fish inverts etc
i never had issues with inverts with reg. interceptor

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said he didn't see any.
My results were different. I used regular interceptor.The doses were higher than what melev advised in his qt dip write up .
Not the spectrum brand .I was only able to use Bayer dips @ 2.5cc in 500ml tank water dips for 10 minutes. Again the bugs were not only on Sps but LPs too. I am apt to think they would get on any coral but mine were confined to a qt tank and not my display.
Maybe the prazi did the trick .If it were me I would double check with Bayer dip n a magnifying glass of sorts..

Sent from my Moto HD on Jelly Bean

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for anyone that has Black bugs or Red bugs, this Medicine works, the dosage does not have to be exact, more the better to kill the pest but isnt nessacary, If you cant get a prescription try getting it from Aussy. they do not require it, but be warned they're some fake stuff out there!

Geo_85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some red bugs and going to order from the same guys you did. Does the size of the dog vary the pills? What size do I select? I suspect just a 6 pack should be enough. What percentage water change should I do after doing this? I have a 100g tank with about a 18g sump. So probably 95-100g water volume

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back