Interceptor spectrum dosage and duration

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered Interceptor and received Interceptor spectrum, tg the vendor refunded me as it wasnt the product i ordered. I know this has to have been answered before but i am having trouble finding direct dosage and duration for using interceptor spectrum. it has 23mg milbemycin oxime and 228mg praziquantel, i have a food scale to measure it out. want to know how many mg of pill for each day, how long it should be used, if i should keep carbon or filter floss or protein skimmer running during treatment. First time im doing this so any help would be appreciated.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 23mg/228mg pills. The recommended dose is 1 x 23mg Large Dog tablet per 400g of tank water. I have 115 gallons total, so divided 2 pills into 3 doses.
Added an airstone to the DT just in case there was a lot of die off.
Remove carbon or similar media if you use any.

Remove all shrimp, crabs and the like. Expect to see some bristleworm copepod and amphipod death. I removed most snails. The ones left behind were fine and the copepod population recovered.

Mix your crushed pill in warmed RO (microwave) and slowly add near tank flow. I did mine after lights out so the fish wouldn't eat anything not dissolved.
It's recommended to leave it in the DT for 9 or so hours, but I did 12 and have friends who went as long as 24hrs.
Now do a 25% WC and add Carbon. I used Rox 0.8 and left it in for a few days.
Wait a week and dose a second round, WC carbon.
Then wait another week and do the third dose WC carbon.

After week 3 I left the carbon in for a week, then did another 25% WC and another week of carbon. After this I added my cleaner shrimp back to the DT and it died a week later !! But the snails were fine.

So, I'd suggest running carbon for a couple weeks and change it maybe every few days. Follow this up with a large WC

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this bit from my thread;

I have a total of 115 gallons of system volume, so I'll use these 2 pills throughout 3 doses.
This will give me a higher dose than the recommended 5.75mg/100g dose.
Mine will be about 8.3mg but I won't worry about it. Others have dosed higher than this without issues.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont order interceptor from canadapetcare.com they will send the wrong product, the guy kept trying to convince me that interceptor spectrum was a better product, for me to just keep telling him it wasnt what i ordered nor what i needed for my application.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you again greg. Hard to call these thing "pills" they are like chewable logs lol

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you run a protein skimmer or filter media (ie polyfil) during the treatment either or no?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you run a protein skimmer or filter media (ie polyfil) during the treatment either or no?
I left my skimmer running after cleaning the cup. I have a drain plug so pulled that and ran a hose into the sump. This keeps oxygenation happening without removing any meds.
I left my socks in place as I wanted to kill what may be hiding in them, and catch anything dead that floated into the sump.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am definitely moving my snails, hermit crabs, shimp and some chaeto to a 5 gallon bucket (with heater powerhead and small sponge filter of course) for the next couple of weeks to let them have a better chance to live.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my skimmer running after cleaning the cup. I have a drain plug so pulled that and ran a hose into the sump. This keeps oxygenation happening without removing any meds.
I left my socks in place as I wanted to kill what may be hiding in them, and catch anything dead that floated into the sump.
sounds good, will try start tomorrow and let everyone know how its going, more info on these treatments never hurt anyone

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am definitely moving my snails, hermit crabs, shimp and some chaeto to a 5 gallon bucket (with heater powerhead and small sponge filter of course) for the next couple of weeks to let them have a better chance to live.
Good plan. I don't recall finding any info on how long red bugs live without a host coral so would be hesitant to put back any chaeto that wasn't treated.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my experience. Have a read through in case I missed something.

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good, will try start tomorrow and let everyone know how its going, more info on these treatments never hurt anyone
I was going to do this. I was wondering though about adding a piece of sponge from the tank. Couldn’t it have some red bugs in it though? Then I’m pretty much re seeding the tank with red bugs when I put everything back in?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back