Just introducing myself.

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. My name is Andrew I had a 90 gallon reef tank when I got into the hobby years ago. I wanted to get back into it and got a 45 gallon tank to start up. I ended up starting fresh but quickly realized how much I missed salt. I want to take it slow just get some sand live rock maybe a clown and clean up crew. Trying to take it much slower this time haha. A few questions I had were. I have a hang on back filter. Can I start my tank off without getting crazy expensive lighting and a protein skimmer. I know when I get into corals I will have to upgrade. Just looking for the least expansive way to start. Thanks for any help.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Andrew!!! And the answer is yes! What’s cool about this hobby are all of the options. I’ve recently serviced a smaller tank with a hob filter. And it had a good sized leather coral, a Hollywood Stunner, and Euphilia. They were doing amazing. Enjoy!
56F3554F-8A3F-4CF3-A6ED-E48A5CD17818.gif

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Andrew!!! And the answer is yes! What’s cool about this hobby are all of the options. I’ve recently serviced a smaller tank with a hob filter. And it had a good sized leather coral, a Hollywood Stunner, and Euphilia. They were doing amazing. Enjoy!
56F3554F-8A3F-4CF3-A6ED-E48A5CD17818.gif
What kind of light did you have out of curiosity?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light did you have out of curiosity?
5 years ago I had 4-Kessils. With time they lost their consistency. I went way cheaper (after researching them) with Viparspectra lights. Very bright, actually too bright. They grew my corals into large colonies. Chinese lights get a bad rap. I get it. But half the stuff in my house in “Made in China” lol

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years ago I had 4-Kessils. With time they lost their consistency. I went way cheaper (after researching them) with Viparspectra lights. Very bright, actually too bright. They grew my corals into large colonies. Chinese lights get a bad rap. I get it. But half the stuff in my house in “Made in China” lol
Funny I was looking at the kessils. My tank is 3ft long. I’m looking to start as cheap as possible get some hardy fish then upgrade lights and everything down the road.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I was looking at the kessils. My tank is 3ft long. I’m looking to start as cheap as possible get some hardy fish then upgrade lights and everything down the road.
Kessil lights are great lights. You’ll definitely like them.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great! What would you recommend I start with. Should I get the live sand in bags and some live rock just to get the cycle started.
Welcome to R2R!
You do not need a skimmer.
Fish don’t care much about light, corals do, so until you add corals, lighting is not an issue.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. My name is Andrew I had a 90 gallon reef tank when I got into the hobby years ago. I wanted to get back into it and got a 45 gallon tank to start up. I ended up starting fresh but quickly realized how much I missed salt. I want to take it slow just get some sand live rock maybe a clown and clean up crew. Trying to take it much slower this time haha. A few questions I had were. I have a hang on back filter. Can I start my tank off without getting crazy expensive lighting and a protein skimmer. I know when I get into corals I will have to upgrade. Just looking for the least expansive way to start. Thanks for any help.
Welcome!

Glad you joined and glad you already got answers on your initial questions.

Regarding cycling, there are multiple ways to start. I'm more a Fritz Turbo starter but whichever way you decide to start will be fine.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty family.
I started my 45 bowfront with a Current Orbit marine. It was a waste of money. It was slick, thin and looked cool with the lightning effects and such ... but it was only good for mushrooms. I have learned that it is better to buy good once than junk that I have to replace.
I do like my Kessils.
Good luck!!
Sun Whatsapp Status GIF by good-morning

Back