Just Let Me Introduce Myself

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone. I am Wayne and I have been in the reefing hobby since 1 June 2009. My first tank was a 125 gallon setup. I basically failed in the beginning because I was adding way to much fish than the bioload could handle.

Then in October 2010 I upgraded to a 225 gallon tank and what fish I had left over in my 125 transferred to the new setup. I knew more of what I was getting myself into as I was researching more and then eventually joined a local reef club which helped me hone my skills. Even though I was more successful with my new setup, I still had my ups and downs. I was trying 2, 3, even 4 different methods of trying to control nitrates and phosphates which i believe led me to my next demise.

In December 2013 I finally upgraded to my 500 gallon setup and later in February of 2014 I added a 109 gallon Reef Savvy frag tank to the system.

I got into reefing early in 2009 when I read an article on how fish tanks were helping senior citizens that had Alzheimer or Dementia responded and became close to the animals residing in the fish tank. The same went for children with ADHD and Autism. But my situation was different as I was serving in Iraq in 2004, the vehicle I was in was hit by a roadside bomb. The accident case severe damage to me as I had my neck and upper back totally rebuilt. I kinda felt like the welfare Six Million Dollar Man, I got the parts but not the technology.

So after 2 years in the hospital recovering and another two more years of physical therapy and hospital stays, that's when I got into reefing. I truly have to say that it has been a blessing to me and my condition has improved more than ever and my pain and high blood pressure has decreased also.

Well that's my story and I hope to learn more and get the best knowledge in this community.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wayne, a BIG WELCOME to R2R and a BIG THANK YOU for serving our Country.

Cheers, Todd

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Wayne. :wave:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r lets see some pics!!!!

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! thank you for your service. I'm sorry to hear it was so harsh on you. sounds like you've made it through and are enjoying this wonderful hobby. I know I've read several physical benefits of aquarium keeping - interesting about the autism although that makes total sense to me. I'm glad it's been therapeutic for you!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! thank you for your service. I'm sorry to hear it was so harsh on you. sounds like you've made it through and are enjoying this wonderful hobby. I know I've read several physical benefits of aquarium keeping - interesting about the autism although that makes total sense to me. I'm glad it's been therapeutic for you!
I'm high-functioning autistic and I can definitely say it really helps me. It's especially good for calming me during intense times, like difficult conversations or when somethng has me upset.

Last edited:

mfief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always liked aquariums. I have two autistic children and they love the tank as well.

What unit were you in and where were at?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salute my brother and welcome.
Any time you need help or a talk shoot me a pm.

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your service, if you ever need help I'm only 20 minutes away from Clearwater!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back