Just Practicing

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some tips on photo taking from Gary at Reefpets.com and finally got around to trying them out today. These are my first pics I have ever taken on other than full auto. I used ISO 200, F-stop 4(???), WB set to AUTO(i think) and on the camera's TV setting. I'm thinking of making the f-stop 5 or 6. Yes, no? He suggested using the timer but I didn't take the time to figure out how to do this. I also used a tripod. Unfortunately, my setup does not allow for me to take top down shots, so these are all through the glass. First pic is w/o picture program's "auto-correct", second pic is. Also, all photos were cropped. Also, any and all constructive criticism is welcome. Enjoy:
Blueberry Watermelon Chalice
IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_92522.jpg

Rainbow Acan
IMG_9278.jpg

IMG_92782.jpg

Hillae Acan
IMG_9284.jpg

IMG_92842.jpg

AOGs(???) 2 sets:
IMG_9288.jpg

IMG_92882.jpg

IMG_9290.jpg

IMG_92902.jpg

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the colors look pretty true to life except the chalice as it looks brighter in person. That is probably because it is in slight shade and farther back than the rest.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take your shots in RAW mode then you can adjust your white balance colors is post processing. Google Picassa is a free download that will allow you to do that. You can then save them as JPEG.

You're off to a good start, just keep it up!

Midwest Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of camera are you using?

As far as adjusting the images, be sure to not over expose the image. You will loose much of the detail in the image especially the last one. Also you may want to bump up the aperture a bit in an attempt to get more of the subject in focus.

Other than that, a very nice first attempt!

Matt

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want some BIG change, bump your iso to 100 set your F-stop to 14 or 16 use a tripod and set your shutter speed to what it needs to be. After that is done then you can try and master cutsom white balance, this is trickey but gets you some sick pictures.

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of camera are you using?

As far as adjusting the images, be sure to not over expose the image. You will loose much of the detail in the image especially the last one. Also you may want to bump up the aperture a bit in an attempt to get more of the subject in focus.

Other than that, a very nice first attempt!

Matt

thank you very much. I agree on the last one. For some reason the only good pics i ever get right are my hillae...

Want some BIG change, bump your iso to 100 set your F-stop to 14 or 16 use a tripod and set your shutter speed to what it needs to be. After that is done then you can try and master cutsom white balance, this is trickey but gets you some sick pictures.
thanks, i will try that too. BTW, it is a tripod, and i broke out the manual so i can try to understand everything you guys are telling me and how to adjust them. I think i understand how to adjust everything except shutter speed, but i'm sure the manual will give me that.

This is such a frustrating process but i think the end result will be worth it...

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, it's a Canon EOS rebel XtI 400D, got it a few years back. Lens is the 18-55mm that comes with the camera. I also have a 300mm zoom lens that i have not tried. Oh yeah, the wife put some traditional 55m uv filter on it. I really want a 100mm macro but need to master what i have first...

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 100mm macro will be easer, Do you know how to adjust shutter speed and fstop? Keep it on manual then try and get your apiture at 14-15

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm starting in on the manual, though what i thought was aperture/fstop was actually shutter speed. LOL

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back