Just ranting here

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true about the live sales especially with one certain well-known vendor. I truly believe that's why they have them because of the psychology of it. Them putting up each new small batch of corals is like throwing a piece of meat to a hungry pack of wolves howling mine, mine, mine, mine :zany-face:. When I first started restocking this tank a few months ago I attempted to participate in one and it was utter madness and I bailed. People buying stuff before they even had a chance to think about it. Regardless the price or item they had to win something. Of course, if you won one item you have to win more to justify the shipping.

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a small business owner my costs have gone up exponentialy over the last 5 years. Let's start with the "trade war". Which was the root of the inflation we have today. Equipment costs have gone up 25% or more.Parts and supplies literally everything and customers seem to think I should just be a good guy and eat it by not passing it on so I can eat and have a house. I'm selling my used commercial mowers with hundreds of hours on them for nearly what I paid for them a couple years ago.My business insurance premiums doubled yes doubled and I've never made a single claim. When asked why they said "inflation". I promptly dropped them. In the last year alone electricity rates in my State have gone up 30%. There's gouging and there's trying to survive. If you don't like the prices go somewhere else. Plenty of options out there. I don't own a business to make minimum wage nor should anyone else. There's my rant..
This! Sure, those ulra rainbow, psychodellic tootsie pop whatevers can be hyped and "overpriced" but as a small business owner in another hobby, I can tell you that it's really easy for customers to think we're price gouging when we're just trying to make a living and return on investment. For the past year, everything is up except sales. Folks seem to think we should nurture the hobby by keeping prices low. I'm not running a non profit or drumming up investors. I am so very thankful that my inventory doesn't rot or die. Plus there's got to be a high demand for livestock with so many getting killed by people who have not researched the needs of their inhabitants or of the cycling needs of tanks. High demand, high prices.

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOUR RIGHT. But the shipping is also a killer. seems like you need to buy 3 or 4 frags for it to make sence.
Shipping for anything is a killer. If it isn't, then the price is inflated to cover it. My online sales (different hobby) cost me more to shop than I charge in shipping. Thank goodness my products don't die when delivered several days late, etc.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Let's start with the "trade war". Which was the root of the inflation we have today. Equipment costs have gone up 25% or more.
That is not the root or even a relevant cause, even remotely. There are many factors but a ‘trade war’ is not anywhere near the top of the list. Geopolitical discussions are not suited for this venue, but I suggest looking primarily at regulation, energy cost and workforce participation to start.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to rant but its getting disgusting with coral prices. I went on three sites today with live sales and my favorite site (will not disclose) . . . . I had to close the pages at page 3-4 on each site as the prices are beyond insane and very unwelcoming to new hobbyists who many want that certain starter coral(s) and may be able to get one or two at these prices and add $30-40 for shipping on top of it..
I have been buying local and from private parties and am glad I made that switch.
Some, I paid $10-$20 a year or a little more ago and are now $55-$75 especially for two head zoa or other bread and butter coral.
And this PERCENTAGE off of sale price is a load of garbage as One in particular was $75 and 20% off last week (making it $60.00) and today its $65.00 and 10% making it $59.50 - Still $60
Just sad.. . .. . .
ANYWAY, HOPING EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT WEEKEND AND ENJOYING THEIR TANKS
I can’t resist a sale myself and I thank you for reminding everyone that the newest societal trend (on line shopping) is going to cost us more money and provide us with fewer choices as society becomes increasingly disconnected from healthy human interactions and dominated by a model where everything we want to afford will be delivered to our doorstep inside a box that may not always contain the items we hoped for in the condition we needed.

The computer revolution towards online commerce will favor the most wealthy while making life more complicated for the average consumer, ime. It’s not a plot, it’s just the evolution of fallen humanity as we struggle to dominate and out-procreate our neighbors and get our own fair share of the pie and not get stuck in the kitchen washing dishes afterwards.

Pray for, or prey upon us. We are all family members facing modern challenges of how to love each other.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t resist a sale myself and I thank you for reminding everyone that the newest societal trend (on line shopping) is going to cost us more money and provide us with fewer choices as society becomes increasingly disconnected from healthy human interactions and dominated by a model where everything we want to afford will be delivered to our doorstep inside a box that may not always contain the items we hoped for in the condition we needed.

The computer revolution towards online commerce will favor the most wealthy while making life more complicated for the average consumer, ime. It’s not a plot, it’s just the evolution of fallen humanity as we struggle to dominate and out-procreate our neighbors and get our own fair share of the pie and not get stuck in the kitchen washing dishes afterwards.

Pray for, or prey upon us. We are all family members facing modern challenges of how to love each other.
the dishes are never done!

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a small business owner my costs have gone up exponentialy over the last 5 years. Let's start with the "trade war". Which was the root of the inflation we have today. Equipment costs have gone up 25% or more.Parts and supplies literally everything and customers seem to think I should just be a good guy and eat it by not passing it on so I can eat and have a house. I'm selling my used commercial mowers with hundreds of hours on them for nearly what I paid for them a couple years ago.My business insurance premiums doubled yes doubled and I've never made a single claim. When asked why they said "inflation". I promptly dropped them. In the last year alone electricity rates in my State have gone up 30%. There's gouging and there's trying to survive. If you don't like the prices go somewhere else. Plenty of options out there. I don't own a business to make minimum wage nor should anyone else. There's my rant..
We had a 64% rate hike on electricity in Massachusetts, its criminal. Luckily i have solar but how is it that the infrastructure we own, as residents of the state, being controlled and profited off of by a private company. Services should be state owned and not for profit.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a 64% rate hike on electricity in Massachusetts, its criminal. Luckily i have solar but how is it that the infrastructure we own, as residents of the state, being controlled and profited off of by a private company. Services should be state owned and not for profit.
My grandparents were missionaries in China when the revolution happened. I can still remember Grandma saying that the first thing that happened was that the utilities were nationalized. Then any enemies of the state would have their water and electricity (if they had them?) disconnected and they were left without water or power.

I think about that lesson of grandma’s when I hear discussions about Carbon Credits, Green Energy, and vaccination status driving the hordes of modern Americans into a new closed society where a school teacher has more freedom to teach my grandchildren than their parents do. Meanwhile, folks are still busy watching their screens for the next directive.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My grandparents were missionaries in China when the revolution happened. I can still remember Grandma saying that the first thing that happened was that the utilities were nationalized. Then any enemies of the state would have their water and electricity (if they had them?) disconnected and they were left without water or power.

I think about that lesson of grandma’s when I hear discussions about Carbon Credits, Green Energy, and vaccination status driving the hordes of modern Americans into a new closed society where a school teacher has more freedom to teach my grandchildren than their parents do. Meanwhile, folks are still busy watching their screens for the next directive.
Well times have changed, being a missionary is frowned upon and getting value for tax dollars is not.

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have really hit the nail on the head. Internet usage fundamentally changed society and we don't really understand it all yet. Neil Postman's critique of culture was so spot on that it is more accurate today that it was then. We see it even in this hobby.

I greatly appreciate the wisdom of those who came before us. Thanks for sharing about your grandmother.

FS

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sales are crazy and yes they are predatory for people who haven’t seen enough of them. The auctions are very interesting too. You see things going for more than their “on sale” prices. That to me is utter insanity.

I really wish I could get some data on how many people are actively participating in the well known sellers’ sales and auctions. How many are individuals vs businesses and so on.

I was not expecting a cheap hobby but I gotta say I am surprised that there are this many new people starting the hobby with these prices.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Late to the party but live sales are a joke and I absolutely despise them. Just offer the coral for the best price on your site. Name another industry that does this stupidity.
Today is an example- Memorial weekend live auctions have begun and I am am not paying $55 for a 2 head Rasta Zoa . . and who has 15% off goods and a bottle of Ocean Nutrition flakes is $11.13 and after discount comes to $9.46 and my LFS has it for $8.99 - Geeez- seriously

Where's the excitement or savings?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is an example- Memorial weekend live auctions have begun and I am am not paying $55 for a 2 head Rasta Zoa . . and who has 15% off goods and a bottle of Ocean Nutrition flakes is $11.13 and after discount comes to $9.46 and my LFS has it for $8.99 - Geeez- seriously

Man I can’t express my anger through words on these live sales. Its just sad they all do it.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've always hated the concept of a percentage savings, its worthless unless we know the starting point. But you know the saying a fool and their money are soon parted.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok…..now you have me trying to figure out a live sale based drinking game! Ha

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry y'all...REALITY...Just say no !!...
IMG_20230525_173316_617.jpg

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party but live sales are a joke and I absolutely despise them. Just offer the coral for the best price on your site. Name another industry that does this stupidity.
LOL....literally every other retail industry has sales....

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then don't ship at those online stores. Find another online store that sells rastas for $20. Plenty of sponsors sell zoas for $20-$30 a frag. Instead of complaining about the overpriced vendors, maybe give a shout-out to the good guys??

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back